CPU
Intel i5
Graphics
Ati Radeon 5770
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Windows Phone
Hi guys,

i've found this old topic (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63&start=0&hilit=time+machine+reinstalling+time+machine) wich in part answers to my noob doubts, though i'll start again with a slightly different and more specific question.

Now that i have my OSX86 running and working with time machine, let's say sometime in the future i'll have to reinstall everything from scratch. If i go through the iBoot+Multibeast procedure when inserting the OSX installation disc will i able to restore from Time Machine?

It's better to set time machine on an external drive. If something screw up, you can format your hackintosh hd, reinstall with what ever method, and then after the welcome screen, you'll be asked to use time machine backup or not. If you chose backup from time machine, then every software you installed (except ones that needs restart after installing like Paragon Ntfs I guess), files on your desktop, your own dock, music in iTunes, wallpaper, even your chat log will be there just like they used to be. I have reinstalled my hackintosh many times before, and this time machine is the one that keeps me formatting my HD over and over again without worry about losing stuff.

Thanks Zoker :) that's exactly what i was thinking just needed someone to confirm the thing is actually working.

You don't have to format and reinstall OSX. In the retail DVD, at the menu there is an option to restore from Time Machine. You should be back and running within one hour. Keep in mind that Time Machine does not correctly backup Chameleon or other bootloader, so you might want to have a back up of that too. I use Terminal again from within the retail DVD to fix bootloader issues after the restore.

wlp5 said:
You don't have to format and reinstall OSX. In the retail DVD, at the menu there is an option to restore from Time Machine. You should be back and running within one hour. Keep in mind that Time Machine does not correctly backup Chameleon or other bootloader, so you might want to have a back up of that too. I use Terminal again from within the retail DVD to fix bootloader issues after the restore.

Cool so that's another option! i guess the Zoker one (format disc > iBoot > OSX disc > Time Machine restore) should be more straightforward for noobs like me, though if you could give more details or any links to the terminal approach it'll be highly appreciated for sure.

I think restoring from the oobe wizard is the only way to do it. When I booted from the iboot cd and attempted to time machine restore it grumbled that this mac wasn't the same as the machine it was backed up on.

Zoker said:
It's better to set time machine on an external drive. If something screw up, you can format your hackintosh hd, reinstall with what ever method, and then after the welcome screen, you'll be asked to use time machine backup or not. If you chose backup from time machine, then every software you installed (except ones that needs restart after installing like Paragon Ntfs I guess), files on your desktop, your own dock, music in iTunes, wallpaper, even your chat log will be there just like they used to be. I have reinstalled my hackintosh many times before, and this time machine is the one that keeps me formatting my HD over and over again without worry about losing stuff.

This is what I also Needed.. A confirmation.. Thanks!!!

BTW, is this the procedure you have done?
1st: Time Machine / Back-up Everything... On your External Drive of course...
2nd: Boot using iBoot,
3rd: Snow Leopard Retail DVD
4th: During the Installation Procedure, there's a selection on Resore from Time Machine
5th: Multibeast for Kext and Chameleon Installation.

Am I right?

Any response to this? I also messed up my install and attempted to use time machine restore and couldn't get the machine to boot into osx after this. Had to do a fresh install.

melon said:
Zoker said:
BTW, is this the procedure you have done?
1st: Time Machine / Back-up Everything... On your External Drive of course...
2nd: Boot using iBoot,
3rd: Snow Leopard Retail DVD
4th: During the Installation Procedure, there's a selection on Resore from Time Machine
5th: Multibeast for Kext and Chameleon Installation.

Am I right?
Any answer to this please? I am unable to boot in OS X due to a kext mess, and I would like to know if I can do that.

Although I use TimeMachine for backup, I would use CCC or SuperDuper to do a clone for a startup backup.

I have a 10.6.7, 10.6.8 and 10.7.0, as well as partition on a HDD. This can be created on an external drive, but I have to install internally for it to be able to be recognized. I can clone it back to my SSD.

I use a SATA bay for that. With this method, I don't have to to the iBoot and other tweaks. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back