Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt visble on Windows Install but not Mavericks ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 EXTENDED ATX (rev. 1.0)
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700k
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thunderbolt visble on Windows Install but not Yosemite ssd [ SOLVED....Somewhat]

Hello to all,

I have the Thunderbolt ports active on a GA-Z87x-UD7 TH (rev 2.0) board on the Windows 7 drive, but it only appears as an additional internal drive under system info on my Mac drive. NOW....I am very aware that this has been tackled many times before on this forum, however, I am also aware that some people have seemingly gotten Thunderbolt peripherals to mount on the desktop with the same hardware (some with Thunderbolt set to Legacy, others with a Unique ID setting- I tried both) and after combing the forums (most of which are from last year) I was wondering if anyone has identified a definitive process for this board to allow peripherals to mount to utilize the Thunderbolt ports as they were easily brought to life on the Windows side.

I am a music producer and because of the GREAT people on this site, I have been able to build a solid studio rig with no issues other than Thunderbolt on the Mac side of things. I bought this motherboard the week of it's release, so I have (to my knowledge) loaded the important patches and fixes including the slowboot fix. As a note, I have attempted to remove all Thunderbolt kexts as well as copy the Thunderbolt kexts from a Mac with Thunderbolt. I have also tried Mac Pro 3.1 default as well as 6.1 and I am currently on iMac 14.2.....both are stable as they wanna be....BUT Thunderbolt is only partially functional. I have read that Mac Pro's did not have Thunderbolt initially, however, the iMacs did. So I am wondering if the people who said that they have it working were using iMac as their system identifier or does that make a difference at all on a Hackintosh....?

Here's my set up:

GA-Z87x-UD7-Th (rev. 2.0)
Intel Core i7 4771 LGA 1150 3.5 Ghz
ATI Radeon HD Graphics Card
OWC 480 GB SSD
Samsung Evo 850 500 GB (Mavericks OS/programs only)
1 TB [internal for separate file storage]
1 TB [internal for Windows driver installs]
2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt
32 Gb G.Skillz Sniper 2400 mhz ddr3
Firewire 800/400 PCIe
Cinema View 24 Monitor
Cooler Master Cosmos S case
750 Watt XFX Black Edition Power Supply
Apogee Ensemble (Firewire) Audio Interface
Digital yacht Wi-fi antenna
Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2

By the way: I usually see people ask why someone even needs this when all the other transfer connections are in order. My reason is that my UAD Satellite recording plug-ins tend to crash on their Firewire 800 connection (even though they share "NO" bandwith with any other firewire peripherals. I have seen people on producer forums say that this thing becomes stable when converted to a Thunderbolt connection. So that's what I need it to work.

Thanks in advance for any clues provided.

UPDATE: With Windows 10 already installed on a separate disk, with Gigabyte Drivers for Thunderbolt already installed (as other threads have pointed out), I have now added an OWC SSD running El Capitan (Clover) with all my Thunderbolt peripherals still plugged in and active from the Windows session. After installing El Capitan while my CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2 was still plugged in; not only did my CalDigit mount and show from toolbar at the top of the screen, but the system profile now says it sees all my Thunderbolt peripherals (Seagate GoFlex Drive, CalDigit Thunderbolt Station, and even Apple Thunderbolt Adapter). So it seems that Mac osX needs to see this stuff upon install in order to be visible and active. HOWEVER, the Caldigit software doesn't show anything plugged into the ports even though the USB 3.0 ports are controlling a Targus Wireless mouse for MAC. The Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex Drive is not mounted on the desktop, however it does show on the System profiler under the Thunderbolt device tree. Close..but no cigars. Everything is visible to oSX, but I can't use the Seagate Drive because it's not mounted and I can't see any peripheral that I attach to the CalDigit hub (although things now show on system profiler).

Thunderbolt visble on Windows Install but not Yosemite ssd [ SOLVED....Somewhat]

Hello to all,

I have the Thunderbolt ports active on a GA-Z87x-UD7 TH (rev 2.0) board on the Windows 7 drive, but it only appears as an additional internal drive under system info on my Mac drive. NOW....I am very aware that this has been tackled many times before on this forum, however, I am also aware that some people have seemingly gotten Thunderbolt peripherals to mount on the desktop with the same hardware (some with Thunderbolt set to Legacy, others with a Unique ID setting- I tried both) and after combing the forums (most of which are from last year) I was wondering if anyone has identified a definitive process for this board to allow peripherals to mount to utilize the Thunderbolt ports as they were easily brought to life on the Windows side.

I am a music producer and because of the GREAT people on this site, I have been able to build a solid studio rig with no issues other than Thunderbolt on the Mac side of things. I bought this motherboard the week of it's release, so I have (to my knowledge) loaded the important patches and fixes including the slowboot fix. As a note, I have attempted to remove all Thunderbolt kexts as well as copy the Thunderbolt kexts from a Mac with Thunderbolt. I have also tried Mac Pro 3.1 default as well as 6.1 and I am currently on iMac 14.2.....both are stable as they wanna be....BUT Thunderbolt is only partially functional. I have read that Mac Pro's did not have Thunderbolt initially, however, the iMacs did. So I am wondering if the people who said that they have it working were using iMac as their system identifier or does that make a difference at all on a Hackintosh....?

Here's my set up:

GA-Z87x-UD7-Th (rev. 2.0)
Intel Core i7 4771 LGA 1150 3.5 Ghz
ATI Radeon HD Graphics Card
OWC 480 GB SSD

Samsung Evo 850 500 GB (Mavericks OS/programs only)
1 TB [internal for separate file storage]
1 TB [internal for Windows driver installs]
2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt
32 Gb G.Skillz Sniper 2400 mhz ddr3
Firewire 800/400 PCIe
Cinema View 24 Monitor
Cooler Master Cosmos S case
750 Watt XFX Black Edition Power Supply
Apogee Ensemble (Firewire) Audio Interface
Digital yacht Wi-fi antenna
Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2

By the way: I usually see people ask why someone even needs this when all the other transfer connections are in order. My reason is that my UAD Satellite recording plug-ins tend to crash on their Firewire 800 connection (even though they share "NO" bandwith with any other firewire peripherals. I have seen people on producer forums say that this thing becomes stable when converted to a Thunderbolt connection. So that's what I need it to work.

Thanks in advance for any clues provided.

UPDATE: With Windows 10 already installed on a separate disk, with Gigabyte Drivers for Thunderbolt already installed (as other threads have pointed out), I have now added an OWC SSD running El Capitan (Clover) with all my Thunderbolt peripherals still plugged in and active from the Windows session. After installing El Capitan while my CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2 was still plugged in; not only did my CalDigit mount and show from toolbar at the top of the screen, but the system profile now says it sees all my Thunderbolt peripherals (Seagate GoFlex Drive, CalDigit Thunderbolt Station, and even Apple Thunderbolt Adapter). So it seems that Mac osX needs to see this stuff upon install in order to be visible and active. HOWEVER, the Caldigit software doesn't show anything plugged into the ports even though the USB 3.0 ports are controlling a Targus Wireless mouse for MAC. The Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex Drive is not mounted on the desktop, however it does show on the System profiler under the Thunderbolt device tree. Close..but no cigars. Everything is visible to oSX, but I can't use the Seagate Drive because it's not mounted and I can't see any peripheral that I attach to the CalDigit hub (although things now show on system profiler).

Hell there,

Did you ever get your Thunderbolt devices working on more than one TB3 card port? For me, I still have to power up my Apollo 8 Quad before powering up the hack, and if I switch it off, there's no getting it back without shutdown and restart. FWIWI, everything works like a charm in Windows 10, although Pro Tools 2018.10 crashes on startup.

Any info you have to share would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back