Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt on GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - cannot mount MBP in target disk mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
so a little update :

after installing the Promise utility, the Pegasus is apparently working properly if it is plugged up and running BEFORE boot, AND with no display port adapter ( i have connected my second screen thru dvi) and havent tested to see if daisy chain of the screen would work.
speeds look good with a little over 550 Mb/s R/W with a volume close to be full ( only 750 Gb freespace remaining) so i will call it good ! :headbang:
interesting that it is reported as a SAS system and still wont show in the thunderbolt section.... but if i remind correctly this is just the way it goes even in apple bassed machine so as long as it work, i'm good with that.....

daisy chain of the La Cie Esata hub and the frigo raid 5 works good at 180/220 Mb/s W/R speed

so i just need to go buy a GTX 690 and a Raid card for the 8SSD internal scratch, and i will begin stress test on the machine....

thanks to all for the help !

if i can help in any way ... let me know !

Capture d’écran 2013-01-14 à 10.02.21.jpg

Glad the pegasus works for you!

If you have a seconf thunderbolt cable, could you try daisy chaining the macbook pro in target disk mode from the second port of the pegasus?

That would be great ;)

so far no luck with the target mode of thunderbolt .... neither with the macbook pro or the Mac mini.
i have tried everything :

hackintosh--->pegasus--->macmini
hackintosh--->pegasus--->macbookpro
hackintosh--->macmini
hackintosh--->macbookpro

I'm done with testing as the pegasus dont really like to be on the Hackintosh ...
i have to boot in bios and than save and exit to have it recognized when i unplug it.

once it has been recognized once, it will show up every time.

it looks like the boot process is so fast with the raid 0 SSD ( around 6sec) that the promise dont have enough time to start spinning all the drives...

Thank you very much for trying... even if it didn't work!

I appreciate your efforts and reporting as I'm sure the other several hundred viewers on this thread :)

this was the last thing i could think of to try myself, hardware wise...

you saved me some money on a second thunderbolt cable at the least ;)

i just received the Promise R4 with 8GB of HDDs. It's working with the 3m long Delock TB cable, configured as RAID 1E (therefore 4Gb of Space). I have to power it on BEFORE booting the hackintosh (GB Z77-UP5TH). I CAN eject the Promise while the computer is on, but

- it won't disappear from the HDD section in the Disk Utility.
- the machine doesn't recognize the PROMISE R4 again after ejecting.

For shure, it is caused by the operating system 10.8.2, which detects the RAID as SAS device, not as a thunderbolt device.

do you know if there is a way to change the detection to THUNDERBOLT??? or is there a possible solution to recognize the device again after ejecting it?

thanks a lot, saxfun ;)
PS: 30'' ACD is on the first TB port, the promise r4 is running on the second port.

the promise is basically a thunderbolt-to-4xPCIE 2.0-to-SAS raid HBA in a box... therefore it is normal that it is recognised as a SAS HBA....

you could buy a rack enclosure with 24 drive bay, plug the 24 drives to a ARECA 1882 x 24, plug the areca HBA in a sonnet or anyone else thunderbolt to PCIe 2.0 expander and get a pegasorus R24 .....:D:D:D:D

this is might be my next built !

i think a 24 x2Tb gives you a very decent 36Tb raid 6 at 700 Mb/s for less than 5000$

the equivalent in V-Track 24 drive FC 8 at promise will cost you 40 000$ but you would run it at 1200 Mb/s

http://store.apple.com/fr/product/H...-sas-de-3 to)?fnode=5f&fs=m.tsCapacity=6tb_up

i'm using 10.8.2 and imac 12,2 profile ..can't recognized Areca Thunderblot RAID,but BlackMaigc's UltraStudio Express Works Fine in each port

i'm using 10.8.2 and imac 12,2 profile ..can't recognized Areca Thunderblot RAID,but BlackMaigc's UltraStudio Express Works Fine in each port

Hi 11z, can you expand on your computer setup or message me? I'm trying to get my Ultrastudio Express to work and I'm having no luck at all.

any luck? anybody?

Same problem

I have GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and update in 10.9.4
Now when i start and my Promise R4 Thunderbolt is connected, i have a kernel panic when i' m starting.
On my second ssd system 10.8.3 no problem
Do you have a idea where problem come from 10.9.4
Extensions ?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back