GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I want to do an 1151 (or 2011-v3) mATX build (or smaller), but my main requirement is thunderbolt (1-2) support to drive an apple thunderbolt display. I have been struggling to find info on what boards have inbuilt TB support, which boards got it via a firmware update, which boards have a TB_HEADER and how well that would work on a hackintosh.

Is there anything out there that could fit in to this criteria?

This also caught my eye: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530#ov. But I don't quite understand how well thunderbolt 3 is supported on it.

Thank you!

@Xperiances I got this solved to some degree. I went with the GA-Z170MX-G5 and I got thunderbolt 1-2 working via the ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC card (it's compatible with the MB) and some custom UEFI firmware which can be found here.

However I'm now trying to get Thunderbolt 3 up and running with this mobo in order to see whether that's going to be more stable that my previous setup. More details on that here.

@carlossless thanks for sharing that. I was hoping to get the Thunderbolt working on the MB (as it has the Alpine Ridge Controller necessary for TH3 and Gigabyte updated their bigger boards to support TH3), but the workaround with the TH2 card is a nice option to have, if everything else fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back