Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Cinema Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Options 1,2, and 4 would work. I doubt option 3 would result in anything but a non functioning display. Many of the new Thunderbolt equipped motherboards will work with the Apple Thunderbolt display. I use a Thunderbolt display with an Asrock Z87 Extreme9/ac. If you want to use a discrete GPU look for a motherboard that can use a Thunderbolt add in card. You will be able to connect the displayport out from the GPU to an input on the Thunderbolt card. Connect the Thunderbolt output to the display. This works on my Asrock board that has the displayport to thunderbolt connection built in.

Hi !

I would like to use my apple thunderbolt display with my hackintosh, but I don't have success with that.
Here is my config :
X99-UD4, i7 5930K, 32 GB RAM, 2 GTX 970.
Chimera bootloader, smbios Imac 14,1 (Random problems at boot with MacPro6,1)

Here is what I did :
I updated the bios to the latest (F12 version), loaded optimised settings.
I removed my 2nd gpu, boot in windows and installed the thunderbolt drivers.
then I installed the gigabyte thunderbolt card in the pcie2 of my motherboard (on the manual they say pci2 or 3). in the bios : security level Unique ID and cache-line 32.
On windows my apple thunderbolt display (ATD) is checked and recognised but it doesn't turn on. And if I connect a usb drive to the ATD, nothing happens.
With security level legacy only cache line 128, nothing happens at all.
Of course, on OSX nothing happens, "no devices are loaded" in About this Mac.

Any ideas ?

Problem solved ! It's just that my displayport output on my 970GTX was not active.

Apple thunderbolt Display works fine with x99-UD4, ONE GTX 970 and gigabyte gc-thunderbolt 2 add-in card.

But now, I have an other problem : with two 970 GTX, the bios starts-up automatically and there is this message :
PCI OUT OF RESOURCES CONDITIONS !
ERROR : Insufficient PCI resources detected !

I have a corsair 860w power; I thought it would be enough for that config

My config : X99-UD4, i7 5930K, 32GB RAM, 2 GTX970, 1 SSD, 2 HDD

What motherboards are there out there that do this? I really don't want to drop $300 for a board, $300 for a new cpu, and $300 for a new GPU. At that point I may as well just sell this monitor and get a miniDP Cinema Display.

^ Yep that might be the option you'd have to roll with..

I would sell the Thunderbolt Display and take a look at the BenQ GW2765HT.

Here's a detailed review about the monitor:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

Also in this article features spec comparisons with other similar monitors, including the Apple Thunderbolt Display..

The TB Display offer 16.7 million colors while the Ben-Q boasts 1.07 billion..

Also the response time of the TB display is the slowest of the bunch, while the Ben-Q is the fastest.

Lastly the multiple inputs could come in handy if (DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI).

My friend was going to sell me his TB Display for 500 to use with my Hack in the studio, but changed his mind.. ends working out on my end because I saved 120 bucks as well as another 70 I was going to spend on a stand with USB 3.0 ports (it couldn't fit on my studio desk without the panel being elevated above a certain part).

Got the Ben-Q monitor fully-integrated into my studio setup… Looks phenomenal!

I did have a few small issues using a Thunderbolt port via a DP to Mini-DP cable (which I solved by connecting to my system via HDMI, which allowed the use of DP after), but I hope that was a fluke. Also installing the driver in Windows helped out a lot, as prior to that, attempting to shut down Windows would cause the machine to restart.

So far though, very happy. I was coming from a 24" 16:10 1920x1200 (which I thought looked fine, but I needed more real estate for audio work), so this is a big improvement!

Glad to hear the GIGABYTE GC-THUNDERBOLT 2 cards are compatible. I just recently built a hackintosh with a Gigabyte Z97x-SLI board and really wanted to use a new Thunderbolt display.

I didn't realize these new Gigabyte Thunderbolt cards were out now.

What is great about this card is it seems not to be limited to a select few boards (like ASUS EX2 card).

I don't want to disappoint you
But the GC-Thunderbolt 2
Not working with any configuration or boot flags

I've x99-ud4 with 5960x with gtx 960 and thunderbolt pci card
Os x 10.10.5 with clover

After I connect thunderbolt card to pci with the cable come with it to the motherboard
I see it on BIOS (thunderbolt option available) i config it like you said.

The clover boot up when i try to enter os x
I get black screen and nothing happened when i press any key on keyboard it back to clover boot gui
If i disable thunderbolt on BIOS the os x boot and everything fine

So if someone know what to do please enlighten me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back