Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 4, modified firmware, Full Thunderbolt Bus tree

I would like to test this out
Are there any other Asus ProArt Z790 Creator owners here?? :)

I posted this in my Asus Z690 ProArt thread:

View attachment 581214

I am running Ventura with the ThunderboltEX 4 add in card on the Asus W680-Ace can I do this with a SSDT? Do you need anything from me to verify or should I just modify that SSDT?

I would like to test this out

I am running Ventura with the ThunderboltEX 4 add in card on the Asus W680-Ace can I do this with a SSDT? Do you need anything from me to verify or should I just modify that SSDT?
Simply modify the device path in SSDT and also include/enable SSDT-DTPG.aml. Then reboot and check IORegistryExplorer.

@Elias64Fr,

On Asus Z590 and Z690 boards with built-in Thunderbolt, Big Sur can enable Thunderbolt Local Node automatically with no firmware flashing (only need simple SSDT with device and class-code).

But this stopped working in Monterey and subsequent versions of macOS…until now with Z790.

This may work on all Asus Z790 boards with on-board Thunderbolt. If so, there must be something in one of the EFI/DXE drivers that is responsible. Because local node does not appear on Gigabyte boards with on-board Thunderbolt (or any other brand).

I have a GC Maple Ridge add on card that's not flashed installed on my z690 AERO G DDR4. If I can help out, let me know.

Not sure this gives you anything, but here's my RP05 in Ventura using the new SSDT.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 7.43.37 AM.png

Are there any other Asus ProArt Z790 Creator owners here?? :)

I posted this in my Asus Z690 ProArt thread:

View attachment 581214
I've just read this entire thread after being off the forums for a while. Amazing work to all.
I'm still running Monterey with NVM 38.0. Will attempt to see if I'm successful and get back to you with results.

If there's anything specific I should know before doing so, feel free to let me know before I attempt tomorrow.
@Inmike09 @Elias64Fr @CaseySJ

Thanks.

Hi @Inmike09

Oh! Incredible discovery !

I have extracted Thunderbolt Firmware (Guid EED54281-1C11-4358-BF5A-F64995FBF11B) and have attached it.

I have some comments/questions :
  • Port@7 (0x2C7) is not enabled but Thunderbolt Native host interface can be driven by driver
  • Does BIOS thunderbolt drivers setting enable this mode ? Could you post theses settings ?
  • Are you able to install Ventura on a temporary Drive to see what happen ? (Is that Local Bus can enable only on Sonoma... so disassembled code should be inspected...)
  • Could you post your IOReg file ?
  • Could you post your Thunderbolt debug log explain here ?
  • Is your thunderbolt devices plugged with SwitchType6 works normally ? (See below)
When I saw System informations, "Link Status" shows an error 0xe00002d6 :

Displayed "Firmware Version" indicates 38.56 following "Product Description" :
... 38 38 ... >> 0x38 in hex show major version 38.x & 0x38 in decimal (56) show minor version x.56

Many Thanks for your contribution on this Tread :)
Thank you @Elias64Fr ! I just reviewed your post and will do my best to answer your questions once my work day ends.

Regarding the BIOS settings -- yesterday I took some screenshots of BIOS settings, random Windows settings, some more macOS details, as well as the outcome when I attempted to flash the original or even the patched firmware via UEFI shell. Please find the attached ZIP with a bunch of images. I will get to the rest in about 12 hours.

Thank you

Attachments

• UEFI_SHELL.zip
    36.2 MB · Views: 7
  • BIOSZ790_SETTINGS_3.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • BIOSZ790_SETTINGS_2.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • WINDOWS_SCREENSHOTS.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • BIOSZ790_SETTINGS_1.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Hello to all Hackintosh friends and especially to you @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and @Inmike09

First of all, I would like to thank you for your tireless work.
I am a big fan of yours and am following this report with great interest.
I was excited to implement your findings on my Z690, and what can I say, the Thunderbolt Bus is here.
Of course it doesn't work perfectly yet, but maybe I can help you with my findings.

My system:

- Pro Art Z690 with BIOS 9901 (NVM 31)
- macOS Ventura 13.6.4
- Mac Pro 7.1
- SSDT-THB4-RP05
- config.plist two Ventura patches

After a cold boot with devices connected, Thunderbolt works 100%.
No problems with sleep either.

Unfortunately, things look a little different after the system wakes up.
After pressing the keyboard, it takes about 20 to 40 seconds until an image appears.
This depends on the Thunderbolt devices connected.
In the console I have several crash reports from the mdsstores service.
There is also an error with the Thunderbolt Bus Status.
However, all devices still work perfectly.
USB was never a problem.

I can easily repeat the sleep.
I tested several devices, USB3 hard drives, TB3 hard drives and USB sticks.
Hot plug also works.

Hot Plug only doesn't work with the TB4 Dock from Microsoft.
But I don't know whether this also works on an original Mac.

I am sending you my screenshots.

I'm not a Hackintosh professional, but I would be very happy to help.
Many greetings from Switzerland

cold boot
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-10 um 15.11.34.png
after sleep
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-10 um 15.04.56.png
io reg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-10 um 15.12.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-10 um 15.13.21.png

Hello to all Hackintosh friends and especially to you @CaseySJ, @Elias64Fr and @Inmike09

First of all, I would like to thank you for your tireless work.
I am a big fan of yours and am following this report with great interest.
I was excited to implement your findings on my Z690, and what can I say, the Thunderbolt Bus is here.
Of course it doesn't work perfectly yet, but maybe I can help you with my findings.

My system:

- Pro Art Z690 with BIOS 9901 (NVM 31)
- macOS Ventura 13.6.4
- Mac Pro 7.1
- SSDT-THB4-RP05
- config.plist two Ventura patches
Interesting. I'm on macOS Ventura 13.6.6. Other than that, we have the same hardware. I'm on BIOS 2103 which was NVM 31, correct? I'm unable to get local bus going. What are your BIOS Thunderbolt settings? Do you mind sharing your config.plist (minus serials)? I'd like to compare to see if I'm missing something.

@sihl32a,

Hello to you in lovely Switzerland. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Zurich near the ETH!

This is the first report of Thunderbolt Local Node (Thunderbolt Bus) on Z690 ProArt outside of Big Sur!! This is very encouraging — I will try something similar.

Back