CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
Asus Strix RX 6600 XT OC 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
OK, after much searching, both on here and many other hack related forums, etc. I,m beat! I have a freshly built new hack. Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, i9 12900k, 64GB DDR4, Asus ROG Strix 6600XT OC, 2 x WD 770 NVMe, 2 x WD 570 NVMe all 1TB. 2 x Toshiba X300 Sata 6 6tb, 2 x Seagate 4tb SSHD, and a old Sata SSD 256gb of unknown make. Apple Broadcom WiFi and BT. Everything is working fine. Both under Windows and Mac OS, except I cannot get Thunderbolt to work, well not that I can see. As under IOReg nothing shows when I search for Thunderbolt, and nothing is shown as thunderbolt hardware under system report, but in hackintool i can see it there in the PCIe tab as 4 x PCI Bridge, and USB Controller NHI and USB, as well as a thunderbolt 4 bridge (Maple Ridge) so i can only assume that it is operable on some level... now maybe its me, maybe im just not getting it, and i freely admit it.

Now in different scattered posts regarding different motherboards, setups etc, theres mention of using SSDT's for thunderbolt, and SSDT-DTbtSsdt, mostly in posts by Casey related to the Aero-G board, now this is probably where i am not getting it. but at no point that i can find (its nearly a 200 page discussion) does it mention how to make these SSDT's, how it was discovered or the process involved so I could go about Modifying my own SSDT's from my own boards DSDT, or adapting the existing SSDT for Maple-Ridge (ive seen a few different versions in the mentioned posts) I really dont want to go just shoving random SSDT files in and hoping it works, id rather try and understand the thinking and the process behind it. Now i don't have a stack of different thunderbolt docks, audio interfaces etc to go shoving on, just a single small TB3 dock with a couple of USB 3 ports and a card reader and HDMI output i use on my Macbook Pro. And dont want to go spending a fortune on some all singing and dancing interface in case it does not work, and can never be made to work. I will only go investing in more hardware once i know it can be made operable, TBH im not that fussed about hotplugging, i dont mind if i need to shut down, power on the device and reboot. But it would be nice if i could get it working just like a real mac.

Can someone knowledgeable in this give an idiots guide to getting a Maple-Ridge add in card working fully, able to be seen in system info and IOReg.. half the problem is most of the guides around assume it can already be found using IOReg... and as stated on my machine... nope, i can only see it under PCIe in hackingtool, and i have the PCI root info i got from device manager in wiindows, on my machine it is shown as RP09.. and no i cannot go moving the slot, as ive other hardware in the way. This other than getting secure boot working is the last major hurdle to me having a really nice hack. something i will hopefully get a few yrs running out of until apple stop supporting intel full stop.

All the headers are installed onto the board, both 3 and 5 pin, the USB and the PCIe power connectors, just like it was stated in the board paperwork. and no I really would rather not be pulling stuff off as I need it to work under windows as well, so the firmware will be remaining stock, even if that limits some Mac OS functionality. I am using BIOS version F7a for this board, and it is enabled in the Bios.

OK, after much searching, both on here and many other hack related forums, etc. I,m beat! I have a freshly built new hack. Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, i9 12900k, 64GB DDR4, Asus ROG Strix 6600XT OC, 2 x WD 770 NVMe, 2 x WD 570 NVMe all 1TB. 2 x Toshiba X300 Sata 6 6tb, 2 x Seagate 4tb SSHD, and a old Sata SSD 256gb of unknown make. Apple Broadcom WiFi and BT. Everything is working fine. Both under Windows and Mac OS, except I cannot get Thunderbolt to work, well not that I can see. As under IOReg nothing shows when I search for Thunderbolt, and nothing is shown as thunderbolt hardware under system report, but in hackintool i can see it there in the PCIe tab as 4 x PCI Bridge, and USB Controller NHI and USB, as well as a thunderbolt 4 bridge (Maple Ridge) so i can only assume that it is operable on some level... now maybe its me, maybe im just not getting it, and i freely admit it.

Now in different scattered posts regarding different motherboards, setups etc, theres mention of using SSDT's for thunderbolt, and SSDT-DTbtSsdt, mostly in posts by Casey related to the Aero-G board, now this is probably where i am not getting it. but at no point that i can find (its nearly a 200 page discussion) does it mention how to make these SSDT's, how it was discovered or the process involved so I could go about Modifying my own SSDT's from my own boards DSDT, or adapting the existing SSDT for Maple-Ridge (ive seen a few different versions in the mentioned posts) I really dont want to go just shoving random SSDT files in and hoping it works, id rather try and understand the thinking and the process behind it. Now i don't have a stack of different thunderbolt docks, audio interfaces etc to go shoving on, just a single small TB3 dock with a couple of USB 3 ports and a card reader and HDMI output i use on my Macbook Pro. And dont want to go spending a fortune on some all singing and dancing interface in case it does not work, and can never be made to work. I will only go investing in more hardware once i know it can be made operable, TBH im not that fussed about hotplugging, i dont mind if i need to shut down, power on the device and reboot. But it would be nice if i could get it working just like a real mac.

Can someone knowledgeable in this give an idiots guide to getting a Maple-Ridge add in card working fully, able to be seen in system info and IOReg.. half the problem is most of the guides around assume it can already be found using IOReg... and as stated on my machine... nope, i can only see it under PCIe in hackingtool, and i have the PCI root info i got from device manager in wiindows, on my machine it is shown as RP09.. and no i cannot go moving the slot, as ive other hardware in the way. This other than getting secure boot working is the last major hurdle to me having a really nice hack. something i will hopefully get a few yrs running out of until apple stop supporting intel full stop.

All the headers are installed onto the board, both 3 and 5 pin, the USB and the PCIe power connectors, just like it was stated in the board paperwork. and no I really would rather not be pulling stuff off as I need it to work under windows as well, so the firmware will be remaining stock, even if that limits some Mac OS functionality. I am using BIOS version F7a for this board, and it is enabled in the Bios.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z690-aero-g-i5-12600k-amd-rx-6800-xt.317179/

This is probably the best link with info. Thunderbolt 4 is hit or miss, especially with TB3 devices; some are not supported 100%.

I Think i finally got it to work. after reading through Caseys posts and help from NorthAmTransAm. I was getting confused that I was expecting it to show up on System Profile, under the Thunderbolt Controller. But I have it showing under PCI as a Intel JHL8540 Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI, and as an eXtensible Host USB 3.1 Controller. I haven't got anything to test hot plugging really, only owning a small TB3 dock which I use on my MacBook Pro to mount flash and external SSD Drives. But now I seem to have it going. I may look into purchasing a TB NAS or such like.
Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 00.30.40.png

I Think i finally got it to work. after reading through Caseys posts and help from NorthAmTransAm. I was getting confused i think expecting it to show up on System Profile, under the Thunderbolt Controller, but i have it showing under PCI as a Intel JHL8540 Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI, and as an eXtensible Host USB 3.1 Controller. I haven't got anything to test hot plugging really, only owning a small TB3 dock i use on my MacBook Pro to mount flash and external SSD Drives. But now i seem to have it going i may look into purchasing a TB Nas or suchlike

@Cerberus73 - would you mind sharing the Thunderbolt aml file for Maple Ridge? Mine shows "Driver Installed - NO", while the USB controller from Maple Ridge is "Yes".

Thanks!

Did anyone get Thunderbolt 4 GC-Maple-Ridge to work yet?​

I will buy this card if it works.

@Cerberus73 - would you mind sharing the thunderbolt aml file for Maple Ridge? Mine shows "Driver Installed - NO", while the USB controller from Maple Ridge is "Yes".

Thanks!
The problem is I DON'T have a Thunderbolt.aml.. Its called Maple-Ridge v2, as I went through a couple of iterations to get it showing driver loaded, etc., and I also did a couple of things in my config.plist, and other SSDT files I have in my OpenCore folder. And, as I did this a while ago, and everything's still going fine, my memory of what I did exactly is hazy.. it was a febrile time as I needed to get my rig stable as its my main work machine. So I didn't document stuff maybe as well as I should have. Your welcome to the file, but I would only use it to point you in the right way. As I've a different board, and I made different mods and tweaks. Please read the posts on TB hot plugging, and any on this card in particular. It was a combo of trial and error, and reading a LOT of posts on various forums as well as on here, and bumbled my way through. sometimes making really dumb mistakes!

Did anyone get Thunderbolt 4 GC-Maple-Ridge to work yet?​

I will buy this card if it works.
I seem to have it working. It lets me mount drives, USB sticks, etc. BUT, don't go buying this on my say so. I took a chance as it was available cheaply at the time I bought it from my parts supplier, and it was cheaper than the earlier Thunderbolt cards. As I only have a rough memory of what I did exactly to get it showing and operating, along with reading a lot of posts from other forum members who were also experimenting with this card, and others. So I wont be able to walk you through installing, configuring and getting it operable, even if you had exactly the same hardware setup as i have. if you need that level of help, please, use a TB3 card as there is far more information and walk through out there.

Attachments

• SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP09-V2.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 376
@Cerberus73 Thank you for sharing the file, I will give that a test later and see how it goes. :thumbup:

@Cerberus73 Thank you for sharing the file, I will give that a test later and see how it goes. :thumbup:
I tried that file and could not get it to work.
I was asking if he can provide the EFI folder.

I tried that file and could not get it to work.
I was asking if he can provide the EFI folder.
Here is my EFI, BUT I have done a fair bit of custom AML files to reflect my hardware setup and kexts. As I not only have the GB Maple Ridge TB card, but have done USB port mapping, CPU friend kexts for my board, resize bar for my GPU, and a few other things in my Config. so unless you have the exact same setup as myself (12900k i9, 6600XT, DDR4 3600 on a Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 board, with the Maple Ridge card and an Apple Broadcom WiFi card in a PCIe adapter) I cannot say if this will work, as i definately puts entries into the config to show the 12th Gen i9 and its speed. as i notice you have a i7 12700k so look for those to edit.

The EFI is for Ventura 13.5, OC 0.9.3. Its been a good while since I put this rig together. so im a tad fuzzy on some detials of what I done to get it all working fine, Its been updating cleanly and without issue since March 2022 when I built it. and updated from previous MacOS to Ventura, and all subsequent point updates and security patches, only requiring one config change after a bios update im currently on F23 on the Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR v1.0 board as it stopped booting cleanly. needed a setting changed. I will try an answer any questions about what I done, but cannot promise I will remember everything. This is very likely my last Hackintosh. as my 13th gen rig will be purely for windows and gaming... when i get around to building it! And Apple has effectively put a timer on when these will stop getting updates and version releases.. another couple of years at best I reckon.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 163
thank you sir were you ablate get hot swap working maple ridge?

Back