Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt 3 Port 2 not working on Gigabyte gaming 7 Alpine Ridge??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7
CPU
9980XE
Graphics
Gigabyte 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a gigabyte gaming 7 with the thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card and High Sierra. I've been running several devices on port 1 and have never had a problem. This includes Universal Audio Apollo 8, satellites, External Hard drives, etc. Purchased an OWC thunderbolt 3 dock and plugged it into the second thunderbolt 3 port thinking it would be plug and play and it doesn't work. Installed the driver and rebooted and still no go. Booted into windows installed the driver and booted back into High Sierra. Still doesn't work. Has anyone gotten port 2 on the Alpine ridge card to work?

I have a gigabyte gaming 7 with the thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card and High Sierra. I've been running several devices on port 1 and have never had a problem. This includes Universal Audio Apollo 8, satellites, External Hard drives, etc. Purchased an OWC thunderbolt 3 dock and plugged it into the second thunderbolt 3 port thinking it would be plug and play and it doesn't work. Installed the driver and rebooted and still no go. Booted into windows installed the driver and booted back into High Sierra. Still doesn't work. Has anyone gotten port 2 on the Alpine ridge card to work?

Nope! I'm working on a new build. With the previous one, it was probably just dumb luck that I had the BMD MultiDock 2 on Port 1 and the UAD Apollo 8 on Port 2. Same problem in Windows 10. I'll daisy-chain them (as I do now with a 2012 Mac Mini) and report back much later today...

Last edited:
Hey guys, any luck getting alpine to work? I just finished a new build, I got the Octane version of the Z370 by accident, and have since taken it out. Build works great, dual boot to windows/mac ... nothing coming from the TB card - I have it plugged into the tb header and the star tb3 -> tb2 adapter. Trying to boot my apollo 16 before daisy chaining the rest in but no activity from thunderbolt :(

Hey guys, any luck getting alpine to work? I just finished a new build, I got the Octane version of the Z370 by accident, and have since taken it out. Build works great, dual boot to windows/mac ... nothing coming from the TB card - I have it plugged into the tb header and the star tb3 -> tb2 adapter. Trying to boot my apollo 16 before daisy chaining the rest in but no activity from thunderbolt :(

So the TB card works great for me. The issue I have is getting both ports active at the same time in any Mac or Windows 10. I am using an Apollo 8 with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and it works fine in both windows and mac. Might be something with your setup. Check your bios settings, update your bios on the motherboard and the thunderbolt card if needed. Then boot into windows. Download the Thunderbolt software and see if it sees your Apollo. Mine has been working great since day one.

ahh nice... I don't even have the option for thunderbolt in my BIOS ... weird - I think I made a mistake getting the built in octane version if you check the support theres no newer bios's available for this vers. see screen:

I have windows 10 on another HD and installed the TB drivers, doesn't seen anything.

Do you know what bios i could update to, so I could see the TB option under peripherals?

Thanks
I'm jelly yours is running smooth! haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.17.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 3.17.37 PM.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 450
It does say TB3 supported on the box and in the description on the web, but no BIOS to allow TB hmm

It does say TB3 supported on the box and in the description on the web, but no BIOS to allow TB hmm

So if you have a port for thunder bolt header that the card's cable plugs into I'm assuming it should be fine. All of the motherboards use the same Bios wether or not you have thunderbolt card installed. There is a separate firmware for the card itself that may need to be installed but you would have to have a real old version of the card. I've used F3, F5 and F6 motherboard BIOS without any problem.

The bios settings are things like "port security": Here is a basic starting point I used....I think I ended up changing one or two more (I can look today. If you have the gaming 7 I can just upload my bios):
BIOS Settings
1 Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
2 M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Profile1
3 BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
4 BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
5 BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
6 Peripherals → Trusted Computing → Security Device Support : Disable
7 Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
8 Peripherals → USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : Auto
9 Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
10 Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
11 Chipset → Wake on LAN Enable : Disabled
12 Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries : Enabled

Download the drivers (and update utility) in windows and see if you see the device: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#support-dl-utility

I do have the gaming 7 ! Would love to test out your bios we have almost identical systems actually haha. I got controller not found when I try to run the flashtbt ... also when I install the TB driver it says newer version already found.

I installed the newer drivers first, I heard maybe uninstalling those and trying the original drivers might help? I think alot of our bios settings are the same, i followed a guide for the same mobo, but not sure they were looking to make TB stable :/

thanks so much for your help! really appreciate it ... glad I don't have a band in today Ha ha !

btw, are you able to see the TB options in your bios under peripherals? I don't even have that option ... so wondering if im using the wrong BIOS ... under my specific board it only shows one vers tho...

Heres the utility scan

Attachments

• snip.PNG
    snip.PNG
    777.7 KB · Views: 628
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back