i7 3770
Graphics
HD4000 & Nvidia GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

My three year old hack started having issues about two weeks ago. By issues I mean I noticed using a browser(Safari, Chrome) would eventually start causing page refresh/reloads, running Disk Utility to repair permissions would freeze in the process or say it couldn't repair disk. No updates have been made to be causing this behavior.

I thought the SSD system drive could be the issue so I purchased/installed a new drive and reinstalled Mavericks 10.9.5(iBoot and Multibeast USB). Things seemed fine for a while and then I noticed the occasional freeze issue returning.

I have the hack streamed down to the basics: USB Keyboard and Mouse, RAM and SSD.

I would appreciate any ideas on where to go from here. Thanks in advance!!

Here's my specs:

Mobo: Jetway NAF93-Q77
CPU: Intel i7 3770-using IGFX HD4000
PSU: Seasonic 660 XP
RAM: 4 X 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair XMS 3
SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Pro
Corsair H90 CPU Cooler

Power supply? Cpu fan? Bios settings?

Power supply? Cpu fan? Bios settings?
None of these have been changed out. Same as always. Specs listed in my first post.

Sorry I meant perhaps you should look into them. Although three years is not long, if a power supply is on its way out, it can cause all kinds of weird issues. What brand and model power supply are you using? Also CPU fan's wear out eventually, again three years is not long, but if your CPU is overheating it can cause unpredictable things to occur. So no software updates have been done to Mavericks?

Sorry I meant perhaps you should look into them. Although three years is not long, if a power supply is on its way out, it can cause all kinds of weird issues. What brand and model power supply are you using? Also CPU fan's wear out eventually, again three years is not long, but if your CPU is overheating it can cause unpredictable things to occur. So no software updates have been done to Mavericks?
It’s the Seasonic 660 XP Platinum Series.

I’ve read issues caused by PSUs online. As far as overheating I’ve never seen the temps go any higher than 44 C. I also use an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 with this system although I’ve pulled it for testing with the newly installed SSD and OS.

I need to stay with OS 10.9.5 as this machine is my DAW workstation.

If you have made no changes, meaning no new software has been installed, no new kexts, no changes to your config.plist file, no hardware changes then I don't know, it's very strange. Something must must be causing the freezing.

If you have made no changes, meaning no new software has been installed, no new kexts, no changes to your config.plist file, no hardware changes then I don't know, it's very strange. Something must must be causing the freezing.
That’s the thing. It was running just great and then the symptoms started from nowhere.

Hard to believe they started from 'nowhere' there is usually a cause. Do you have any backups? Perhaps compare an older config.plist file to your current one?

Actually I have a cloned drive installed and the backup copy was at least 3-4 weeks older than the current drive and it seemed to be fine but after 10-15 mins it also started exhibiting the same issues.

So you don't have any older backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back