Contribute
Register

Three Monitor Setup Working with latest Nvidia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
same here, though i could boot into safe mode. Also, in safe mode i did have 3 (out of 3) working monitors. just -v, verbose boot went to the grey screens as well, so that told me nothing. I rolled the driver kext's back (and not the newest Cuda) and all is well again. Will have to try some experimenting when i get some time. perhaps installing one kext at a time from the package. argh, i was all excited too.

btw - Gigabyte 680 OC

I managed to get into the desktop and having the 3 screens running (it had a display port cable plugin, I just unplugged it and the other 3 screens are working fine)

But it just randomly login, I still having random grey screen freezes after system boot up.

It's really annoying, I'm still hoping someone could address some solution for this.

Here is my BDMESG if it helps: http://sharetext.org/eaTw

same here, though i could boot into safe mode. Also, in safe mode i did have 3 (out of 3) working monitors. just -v, verbose boot went to the grey screens as well, so that told me nothing. I rolled the driver kext's back (and not the newest Cuda) and all is well again. Will have to try some experimenting when i get some time. perhaps installing one kext at a time from the package. argh, i was all excited too.

btw - Gigabyte 680 OC

I found the problem.

I have my three screens in this way:
· DVI-I (cable: VGA to DVI-I)
· DVI-D (cable: HDMI to DVI-D)
· HDMI (converter: HDMI to VGA)

When I use only the DVI ports in my video card I can login without any trouble, that also means I have only 2 of 3 screens active.

So when I'm already on the desktop I plug (HDMI) my 3th screen.

When I have the 3 screens plugged when I boot the system, OSX turns into a grey screen of death. While I found the problem, I can barely call this a solution, but in the meanwhile it makes usable the system.

I think my problem is that I have 2 of 3 screens with VGA only (my error when I bought them online), so I can test if the same happens when using only digital ports.

pain in the butt, but finally got 3 monitors working. What worked was the 4 NVDA*.kext's from 304.00.05f02 Web Release.mpkg along with the 4 GeForce items (1 kext, 3 bundles) from the previous driver release. I first tried just the just the GeForce.kext which worked for 3 monitors, however, i had no acceleration. i then installed the 3 GeForce bundles and all was working. I may try adding the bundles one by one to narrow which one it was specifically, but i'm out of time for tonight.

I managed to get into the desktop and having the 3 screens running (it had a display port cable plugin, I just unplugged it and the other 3 screens are working fine)

But it just randomly login, I still having random grey screen freezes after system boot up.

It's really annoying, I'm still hoping someone could address some solution for this.

Here is my BDMESG if it helps: http://sharetext.org/eaTw

The same Asus GTX670 works fine for me with 4 screens (1x DP, 2x DVI, 1x HDMI). No grey screen or freezes.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1189
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: preset 80.04.31.00.81
Displays:
DELL U3011:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: PH5NY15B212L
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes
AU5131 :
Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number:
L997:
Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Display Serial Number: 49916036
DELL3007WFPHC:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Display Serial Number: YW25872MG158

The same Asus GTX670 works fine for me with 4 screens (1x DP, 2x DVI, 1x HDMI). No grey screen or freezes.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1189
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: preset 80.04.31.00.81
Displays:
DELL U3011:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: PH5NY15B212L
Main Display: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Television: Yes
AU5131 :
Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number:
L997:
Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Display Serial Number: 49916036
DELL3007WFPHC:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Display Serial Number: YW25872MG158

Well, not sure if it is because all my screens are 1920x1080 or maybe it is the HDMI to VGA adapter, but it's the only difference I notice between your hardware and mine.

pain in the butt, but finally got 3 monitors working. What worked was the 4 NVDA*.kext's from 304.00.05f02 Web Release.mpkg along with the 4 GeForce items (1 kext, 3 bundles) from the previous driver release. I first tried just the just the GeForce.kext which worked for 3 monitors, however, i had no acceleration. i then installed the 3 GeForce bundles and all was working. I may try adding the bundles one by one to narrow which one it was specifically, but i'm out of time for tonight.

In case anyone else runs into a similar problem, i drilled down my gray screen hang as far as i can go -- both GeForceGLDriver.bundle and GeForce.kext or either individually from the new 304.00.05f02 mpkg seem to be the issue. Why, i have no idea, but the rest of the new mpkg work just fine with the old GeForceGLDriver.bundle and GeForce.kext . So 3 screens, OpenCL, Acceleration, etc. all working as long as i use both GeForceGLDriver.bundle and GeForce.kext from previous driver package. *shrug*

Installed the new 304.00.05 package and had a login screen that I could not get past.

Uninstall the package with NVIDIARecovery, rebooted. Install 304.00.05 again and this time replacing GeForce.kext and GeForceGLDriver.bundle from the old bundle.

Get past the login screen this time. OceanWave also report an increase of fps from 180fps to 379fps

Cuda-Z still reports the old driver version, though.

when you say the previous driver release, are you talking about the ones that get installed on the 10.8.2 update? because I'm still getting the gray screen and have tried all combination.

UPDATE 1: (go to update 2 for the solution)

Ok finally I got something but still is not working as I wanted.
I started from cero.
I install 10.8.0
With GE=No
galaxy nvidia gtx 680 2gb gddr5 graphics card
I have 4-monitor setup, 2 DVI, 1 display port to DVI and 1 HDMI
Only 2 monitors
Then did an update to 10.8.1
Downloaded the NVidia drivers for 10.8.1
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html
After it finish did a restart and still only 2 monitors.

At this time I copy the:
GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
on to the desktop to have it ready for the next step.

Updated with the combo update for 10.8.2
Reboot and still 2 monitors.

Downloaded the nvidia drivers for 10.8.2:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

install the nvidia drivers but did not rebooted.

Installed the 10.8.1 kext and bundle using kextwizard

I disconnected the HDMI and left the other 3 monitor

And rebooted

First I got the login loop error. (no solution to it)
I rebooted in Safe Mode (-x)
I had the nice moment to see 3 monitors working.
I connected the Hdmi and all 4 monitor started working. But in safe mode there’s no much I can do.
I rebooted and came back to the gray screen of death.

If I reboot with all monitor I get Gray Screen
If I reboot without HDMI I get to the Login loop error
If I reboot with Safe mode I get in only with 3 monitors.

Any Ideas?

UPDATE 2
(FIXED)

After various attempts finally fixed
I have 4 screens working with my Nvidia 680 GTX

The solution was with some other stuff that I had to fix first in my system.

In my system it was just only one, but for some people I’m going to mention a second thing to check, just to keep it safe.

Like always please backup your stuff, every system is different but I think this is going to work for most of them.

a) Check that your GraphicsEnabler=NO (go to your hard disk inside the extra folder there's a document call org.chameleon.Boot.plist open with the text editor, if you don’t have a line with GraphicsEnabler just ignore it and continue).

b) Install every Apple update until you get to the 10.8.2.

c) Don’t install the Nvidia drivers.

d) don't reboot .

1. The first thing to check is your FakeSMC.kext.

a. Go to you System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext.
b. Open it using show package content search for the Plugins directory if you don’t have it continue with the next step otherwise look for OemSMBIOS.kext and delete it.​

2. Thanks to moviemakergr roolback your AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

a. You can download it from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...164-10-8-2-problem-appleacpiplatform.kext.zip .
b. To install kext I like to use kext wizard but some people prefer kext helper. Google wish ever you like.​

e) Now the good stuff and this is thanks to aolivero and vczilla, I used his NVidia Driver ver 304.00.05f02 for ML 10.8.2 installation method. You can find it here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...i-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-95.html#post464818.
But I also wrote the instructions to make it a little clearer for some people:

1. Download the V10.8.2 files form here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...ia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-v10.8.2.zip and install the kext from the folder Kext-NVidia304.00.05f02 using kext helper or kext wizard DO NOT RESTART
2. Open terminal (I will try to explain it for people that does not have any experience with terminal) the application is inside the utilities folder inside applications and write:
Code:
sudo –s
at this step it will ask you for your password.

Now write:
Code:
cd <drag the FrmWk-10.8.2 folder to the  terminal so it can paste the location of it>
to make it easy just copy the next code and press enter so you don have to worry.
Code:
sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

if you get a pam: no such file or directory error ignore it, for some people is normal and all edits gets done.

If you want to enable OpenCL for all card just add this last code and press enter.
Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Finally pray to your favorite Deity or God and reboot.
I hope this helps for people like me. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back