Contribute
Register

Thoughts on quiet, reliable build for software-dev/gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate94 said:
The 1TB boot drive depends only on Chimera, not on the OS. But unlikely it will change.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought that sounded weird!

Coupz said:
Yeah I have the Noctua on my SYS_FAN1 i believe (I'm not at home, but I'll look for it when I'm at home).
I don't know how exactly I can change the fan speed of the Noctua, if it's plugged in the CPU_FAN header, my other 2 PWM fans (for case) are running at fullspeed. I bought them wrong and don't know how I can regulate the 2 PWM fans for my case at a 3 pin fan connection. :(
That's why I'm thinking of buying a fan controller.

So I've been reading your / (our) motherboard's manual online and it I believe that it should regulate the Noctua's speed through the CPU_FAN header if you change the option under:
PC Health Status --> CPU Smart Fan Mode --> and change this to "Voltage".
(For reference, at least in the online PDF, this is on page 56)
It says there is an Auto Mode, a Voltage Mode and a PWM mode, and according to Noctua (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=25&lng=en#30) this 'Voltage' mode should work with a 3 pin fan connector like the Noctua has, presuming you get the connector the right way round in the 4 pin CPU_FAN header.

If you get that to work I would be interested to hear!

Also I couldn't see anything in the manual about whether this setting applies to the other 3 fan headers. That board has 2 SYS_FAN and 1 PWR_FAN headers, although only 1 of the SYS_FAN headers is a 4 pin connection like the CPU_FAN. As far as I have understood, for PWM to work it must be a 4 pin connection... Also the manual doesn't state whether setting the 'CPU Smart Fan Mode' to 'PWM' only affects the CPU_FAN header, or also this 4 pin SYS_FAN.

Anyway, I still don't really understand this stuff so if you manage to get your fans properly regulated in your setup in future I'd love to know how you did it!

Oh whoops, I think I've found the answer to some of my questions above:

cnsstnthstrs said:
Also I couldn't see anything in the manual about whether this setting applies to the other 3 fan headers. That board has 2 SYS_FAN and 1 PWR_FAN headers, although only 1 of the SYS_FAN headers is a 4 pin connection like the CPU_FAN. As far as I have understood, for PWM to work it must be a 4 pin connection... Also the manual doesn't state whether setting the 'CPU Smart Fan Mode' to 'PWM' only affects the CPU_FAN header, or also this 4 pin SYS_FAN.

On Page 25 of the manual there is this diagram:
mobo_fans.pdf

which shows that the 4th pin on SYS_FAN2 is "Reserve", whereas the 4th Pin on CPU_FAN is "speed control", so I think that must mean that the bios setting: CPU Smart Fan Mode, when in PWM mode, must only affect the CPU_FAN.

What this means for when CPU Smart Fan mode is set to 'voltage' though is still unclear to me, although given the name of the setting, its possible that this will also, only affect the CPU_FAN.

If that is the case, then I think I will, like you, consider getting a Fan Controller to regulate the case fans - (or at least after I have done my build if I feel its needed).

Attachments

• mobo_fans.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 426
That build will work great for being quiet. I aimed to make my computer 100% silent as well, and I have accomplished that. I hit the power button and I cannot hear it. Check out the build log in my sig for some more descriptions.

A couple of points to consider:

1. Noctua is the best brand on the market, but using PWN fans in a non-PWM connector is rather worthless. Either get the normal 3 pin version or go with some Gelid 120mm fans (also 3 pin), which I went with and I cannot hear them at all. They also make a PWM version. I have used both and can say I cannot hear a difference verse the ugly brown Noctua's and they are about half of the price. I like the Black/white combo of the Gelid better and I think the hydro-bearing is actually quieter than Noctuas in some instances. Plus you won't have to mess around with fan speeds or settings, as the 3 pin will run at their normal speed 100% of the time (and be completely silent) and the 4 pin on the CPU header will manage based on the temperature of the processor.

2. Do NOT go with a WD Black drive. Every Black drive I have had performs great, but either lets off a whine at idle or you can hear the head seeking when accessing data like old hard drives. I have found Samsung's drives to be 100% quiet. I have used their 1TB version and 2TB version and cannot hear them in the Fractal case that I'm using.

3. The CPU cooler you mentioned is fantastic, top of the line, but overpriced. I would get a Hyper 212+ or 212 EVO and NOT use the stock fan that came with it, instead replacing it with a Gelid PWM or Noctua PWM (Choice is up to you, I gave my opinion above). This will cool it just fine, will be half of the price at most, and will keep temps within 2c of what the Noctua would have.

4. Both of those cases will do fantastic, but I cannot stress enough, on both of them, do NOT put fans on top or the side. Only the front and back. Why? Because by opening the top or side, it will be louder, no matter how many fans are in it. It creates a direct line of sight to your ear leaving soundwaves unimpeded and will be louder. 2-120mm in front and 1-120mm in back will be fine.

5. I have owned BOTH the XFX "Double D" and the Gigabyte Tri-Fan model. The Gigabyte is much quieter and I recommend it.

Other than that, GREAT research. I agree with going with the Z68 motherboard and that PSU is perfect for your uses. The 460w fanless model would work as well, as that setup won't draw over 400w of power.

Gordo74 said:
That build will work great for being quiet. I aimed to make my computer 100% silent as well, and I have accomplished that. I hit the power button and I cannot hear it. Check out the build log in my sig for some more descriptions.

Your build and excellent guide were one of the first I found on this site and is a major reason for going with what I did, e.g.: UD3H. :D

Gordo74 said:
1. Noctua is the best brand on the market, but using PWN fans in a non-PWM connector is rather worthless. Either get the normal 3 pin version or go with some Gelid 120mm fans (also 3 pin), which I went with and I cannot hear them at all. They also make a PWM version. I have used both and can say I cannot hear a difference verse the ugly brown Noctua's and they are about half of the price. I like the Black/white combo of the Gelid better and I think the hydro-bearing is actually quieter than Noctuas in some instances. Plus you won't have to mess around with fan speeds or settings, as the 3 pin will run at their normal speed 100% of the time (and be completely silent) and the 4 pin on the CPU header will manage based on the temperature of the processor.
Here in the UK, I see these fans are a third of the cost of the Noctuas so that's excellent advice, thanks - although I haven't seen the PWM model yet, although as you say, for the case fans that only have 3 pin connections on the MB, this is irrelevant. Can I ask though, how do you connect your Gelid case fans to the motherboard? I'm confused over there being only 2 SYS_FAN headers -- is there some stage in-between (i'm guessing on the case) that you plug case fans into?

Gordo74 said:
2. Do NOT go with a WD Black drive. Every Black drive I have had performs great, but either lets off a whine at idle or you can hear the head seeking when accessing data like old hard drives. I have found Samsung's drives to be 100% quiet. I have used their 1TB version and 2TB version and cannot hear them in the Fractal case that I'm using.
Thanks for the heads up, I really only picked the WD because I didn't know anything about the differences in HDD brands and they are a familiar name. I will definitely take this on board as I am constantly irritated at the moment from the noise my various external hard drives make spinning up/down all the time, so I really want to avoid that in this build.

Gordo74 said:
3. The CPU cooler you mentioned is fantastic, top of the line, but overpriced. I would get a Hyper 212+ or 212 EVO and NOT use the stock fan that came with it, instead replacing it with a Gelid PWM or Noctua PWM (Choice is up to you, I gave my opinion above). This will cool it just fine, will be half of the price at most, and will keep temps within 2c of what the Noctua would have.

4. Both of those cases will do fantastic, but I cannot stress enough, on both of them, do NOT put fans on top or the side. Only the front and back. Why? Because by opening the top or side, it will be louder, no matter how many fans are in it. It creates a direct line of sight to your ear leaving soundwaves unimpeded and will be louder. 2-120mm in front and 1-120mm in back will be fine.

5. I have owned BOTH the XFX "Double D" and the Gigabyte Tri-Fan model. The Gigabyte is much quieter and I recommend it.
Thanks again, for all these points. I will definitely follow your advice about the case - I was planning to just get 3 case fans in the configuration you say. Also, once I can confirm that the Gigabyte 6870 fits in both those cases, then I will definitely substitute in that model.

-For HDD, go with Samsung F3 or WD Blue would be my advice. Green's best used for backup drives or storage.

-You can buy dampeners for HDDs that will make them silent. I believe the Fractal cases have something like this, but adding more sound dampening couldn't hurt. For example, you'll see some HDD sound dampeners here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... af62e25ad5

-The case fans plug directly into the PSU. For you, I would recommend getting a fan controller, however. You'll be able to control the speed of the fans, and consequently the noise. If you want it quiet, just turn them down. If you want better cooling for gaming or whatnot, crank them up. You might find that your case stays cool as it is, and you won't want them at full blast. In the case of a fan controller, you plug the fans into the fan controller, and then you plug one cable from the PSU into the fan controller which supplies power to all of the fans. I've been looking at a lot of fan controllers recently for my G5 build, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

-I really like that Corsair case, but I'd strongly recommend the Fractal Design. The guys in the company really impressed me with their customer service, and I'd recommend them to anyone. I've heard very good things about their cases with regard to noise as well. Gordo can attest. :)

cnsstnthstrs said:
Thanks Coupz, that's interesting - my current screen is only 1680x1050 so hopefully it will run a little bit cooler.

Also, if you don't connect the Noctua to your CPU_FAN header, how does it get it's power? Do you connect it to something else?

I haven't really understood how the fans are managed/powered yet to be honest, that's a task for tonight :). I do see though that the UD3H has a CPU_FAN header, 2 SYS_FAN headers, and 1 PWR_FAN header. If I have 3 case fans then, but only 2 SYS_FAN headers, not sure how I power the other one? Can you just plug them directly into the Power supply? Or is this why people buy fan controllers?

The Fractal Design R3 comes with an external fan controller, if necessary. Also, such a great case. Well built, reasonably priced, and very quiet if you keep the padding in. Generally I just turn up the fans when I play games, otherwise it's very quiet. Although I have a GTX 480 which is a monster with sound and heat, so I added an aftermarket cooler. Now it hangs around 40C idle, completely silent, and 60C under load(compared to 90C!). Anyway, you don't need that, but the fans should be fine.

cnsstnthstrs said:
Here in the UK, I see these fans are a third of the cost of the Noctuas so that's excellent advice, thanks - although I haven't seen the PWM model yet, although as you say, for the case fans that only have 3 pin connections on the MB, this is irrelevant. Can I ask though, how do you connect your Gelid case fans to the motherboard? I'm confused over there being only 2 SYS_FAN headers -- is there some stage in-between (i'm guessing on the case) that you plug case fans into?

Also, once I can confirm that the Gigabyte 6870 fits in both those cases, then I will definitely substitute in that model.

The Gigabyte 6870 fits fine in the Fractal R3 and 550D.

For the fans, I have all of them plugged into the motherboard. 2 via SYS_FAN headers and 1 via the PWR_FAN header (near the RAM slots). The CPU PWM fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN 4 pin header.

These are the fans I am talking about:

Normal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835426016
PWM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835426015

While I would normally agree with the fan controller for a more open case, with the sound dampening in this case, you cannot hear the fans. Because of this, I would advise against using the fan controller as it will just clutter up the wiring inside the case and is not needed.

Same goes with the hard drive dampeners. In fact, the dampeners Vendetta linked unfortunately won't play nice with Fractal's setup. The rubber grommets that come with the Fractal case do the job just fine. There is no vibration. No use in spending money there.

Thanks to all three of you for the input, and for clearing up my confusion about the fans.

I think I am pretty much decided now, on going with the Fractal case as not only do you all recommend it, but I prefer the look of it and think it's great it has only 2, 5.25inch bays (would never need 4 like on most other cases) and 8, 3.5inch bays - much more sensible imo.

I'll also get the Gigabyte 6870 and the Samsung F3 for main HDD.

Vendetta said:
-The case fans plug directly into the PSU. For you, I would recommend getting a fan controller, however. You'll be able to control the speed of the fans, and consequently the noise. If you want it quiet, just turn them down. If you want better cooling for gaming or whatnot, crank them up. You might find that your case stays cool as it is, and you won't want them at full blast. In the case of a fan controller, you plug the fans into the fan controller, and then you plug one cable from the PSU into the fan controller which supplies power to all of the fans. I've been looking at a lot of fan controllers recently for my G5 build, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.
Gordo74 said:
While I would normally agree with the fan controller for a more open case, with the sound dampening in this case, you cannot hear the fans. Because of this, I would advise against using the fan controller as it will just clutter up the wiring inside the case and is not needed.
Thanks for this, I think I will get a build going now with what I've learned and then assess whether a controller would add anything once I've got it in front of me.

I would be interested though, Vendetta, on what models you like so far, otherwise i'll keep an eye on your G5 build for an update on what you are going with (awesome looking mod there btw :clap: )

So I think I'm all ready to go now :D I will hopefully get everything in over the next couple of weeks and make a thread once it's all together!

Thanks again for all the advice, it's been very helpful for me!

So I've done some customization to my airflow (bought a simple Molex to 4x12V, 4x7V and 4x5V converter http://www.ditech.at/artikel/CLMPP01/Multi_Port_Panel_fuer_12_Luefter.html) and plugged every fan except my CPU FAN into this converter. Then I put out my HDD cage and now I have in Windows @ idle around 8-10°C less on my GPU and 5-8°C less on my CPU, but in OS X I still have around 48-52°C on my GPU. In Windows it's between 41-43°C @ idle.
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back