Intel DX58SO
CPU
W3680
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
I have some very strange issues going on and have been banging my head on it for weeks now.. so I need to sanity check what I am doing

I have been hackintoshing since 10.5 but I am a hacker in the golfing sense ( I really have no idea what I am doing) most of the time.. trying to understand what you guys are talking about but its above my head

my current setup

I have a
DX58SO, W3680, GTX660 (now a MSI VEGA 56 ariboost), Mac Pro 5,1 system def and it has been running El Capitan (not with the vega) for years.. great.. sleep, wake, etc.. got almost all the bugs out its very stable and power management etc all work

I have it hooked to a standard monitor as well as a 4k Seiki TV through a DP to HDMI Club3d passive dongle and was able to use 1920x1200 on the gateway and 4k on the tv.. no issues

Now the weirdness

In trying to upgrade to Mojave, I was I believe using clover 5045 and osxaptiofix3 or whatever that new version that comes with clover in the drivers uefi folder is called.. and now I have a PERMANENT addition to my my UEFI boot list when the system comes up

Instead of the normal UEFI boot list that has

[UEFI disks]
BIOS disks

I now have

MAC OS X
[UEFI disks]
BIOS disks

If I let the system boot normally without going into the boot menu

it trys to boot Mac OS X and I get a black screen with a steady not blinking cursor in the upper left

All this seemed to happen while using clover 5045, and I believe while doing the apple software update from the installed by unibeast 10.14.5 to 10.14.6

also, it left me with a clover boot option of Install Preboot from Preboot of something to that effect

so I have a preboot, install preboot from preboot, Mojave, and recovery options on the clover boot screen

I have gone into clover efi shell and removed all entries, and the the odd install preboot isn't there nor is the MAC OS X

I have reset nvram multiple times
booted with no drives attached
rolled bios way back and re-installed back to latest 5600 for the DX58so resetting optimal defautls
pulled the cmos and system rams..

NOTHING gets rid of the MAC OS X in UEFI menu issues.. so the only way to boot is by selecting F10 and getting the boot menu and selecting the UEFI drive beneath MAC OS X which its indented by one character every boot.. so like a sub item I guess...

Its almost as if the OS X installer wrote permanent code to my motherboard

with you guys talking about these changes in aptiomemoryfix.. is it possible that this made the DX58so nvram writable or more like a apple board? if I remember I heard rumors that at one time apple was using this board during development

I am having all kinds of issues with not waking from sleep properly mostly black screen and what looks like the graphics card now a VEGA 56, since the illuminated loge on the card comes on but not the load bars... but in reality it looks more like a crash but it doesn't reboot... since the system is doing nothing, no drive lights etc, can't ping it over the network, and logs don't show a single entry from the wakeup, its like it was still asleep and only a hard reset works

sometime I have to reboot multiple times as I will get the 'no entry/stopsign' 3 times in a row.. .. if nvram gets changed then memory table corruption and panics etc happen?

anyway...

I went back to clover that was on the tonymac installer, which still uses aptiomemoryfix-64, and emulating nvram, my variables stick but I still have the UEFI menu issue and wake from sleep issues..

I have in the past made DSDT edits, and have removed the old toleda hdmi audio method from clover and now using lilu/whatevergreen/applehda

I get audio both from the HDMI and build in line out.. but wake from sleep is dogging me as is this nvram and UEFI bios issue..

could I upload my DSDT mod, ACPI clover original dumps, ioreg etc for you guys to look at and perhaps you could clean this up a bit!!!

thanks

OK

I re-installed Clover 5054 from scratch.. deleting my entire EFI folder

setup clover the 'new' way without a edited DSDT and using clover hot patching / renaming along with LILU / WEG/ALC

removed all nvram files, removed RC scripts

installed Clovers for UEFI and installed minimal drivers , APFS, NVRAMhelper (or whatever its called), OSXAPTIOMEMdrv3

it indeed permits NRVAM variable retention without generating a NVRAM file on my drive or in EFI

so indeed I think that its plausible during the OS X update from installed clean 10.14.5 to 10.14.6 that the apple installer managed to write some values to my board

in the EFI/APPLE folder there are a lot of updater files not just the usual firmware.scp file

still can't find a way of getting rid of this UEFI header/catagory whatever it is.. all drives in the boot drive selection menu (one time menu F10) are indented from the Mac OS X header

the board refuses to boot to any drive unless I go into the one time drive selection menu at boot and physically select clovers / OS X hard disk which is the only device attached

and again.. the Mac OS X header is there even if I boot the board with NO DRIVES or DEVICES attached

nobody

Hmmmm.... it almost sounds like the issue lies with your motherboard BIOS and not Clover. On my Gigabyte z68 board, the bios has remembered every device that has ever been connected to the SATA bus (and offers to let me boot from them). I edited them out of clover's boot screen using the clover configurator so that it only presents OS disk + recovery disk.
Have a look here and hopefully you will get satisfaction...

Last edited:
yeah.. this issue is the pre 10.14.6 there was no Mac OS X header jacking **** up and now after 10.14.6 there is a permanent entry into the motherboard that is effecting the boot volume list

and it doesn't show up anywhere in the bios settings list of boot volume order, or UEFI shell... or in clovers boot loader.. its just there in the bios one time loader selection and its not a bootable volume it looks like a header

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back