Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3-B3
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
HD 6870
I get this message when I try to install Lion after downloading it from the app store. From what I can tell, this is the first step of Tony's guide. I was dual-booting Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on two separate hard drives, but removing the Windows 7 drive had no affect. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

So you downloaded Lion, ran the installer (which just places files) and reboot correct?

So the first reboot after you ran the Lion installer you encountered this issue?

This is before the first reboot. The installer doesn't complete because I can't select a drive to install to.

I am getting the same thing. The steps are Download Lion from the AppStore, Click "Continue", Agree to the License, then on the page listing drives, below is what I see.

This is on a CustoMac 2500k i5, Gigabyte Radeon 6850, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M4 64GB SSD (boot drive), 1TB Secondary 7200RPM HDD. Followed the CustoMac Build almost exact.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 339
It looks like a lot of native Mac users have been having this problem as well. Here are a couple potential fixes I pulled from the apple support forums:

1. Use Disk Utility to reduce the size of your Snow Leopard partition. 10GB seems to do the trick in most cases.
2. Search for backups.backupdb and delete it.

I don't have access to my hackintosh at the moment, so I cannot confirm that these will work.

Thanks for sharing. I was able to resolve the issue by partitioning my harddrive. If you're following the xMove method, you really have to do it anyway!

Following the advice in the Apple Support Forums and 9to5mac.com that recommended resizing the problem partition more than 128MB smaller fixed the problem. I write this from my (soundless) Lion installation.

Additionally, I had some problems accessing the recovery console and that was caused by unused Linux EXT4 partitions that I could never get Chimera to see to boot from. Removing those has cleaned up the safe mode/recovery console boot failure issues.

I used Tux Boot gparted linux boot disk to remove those partitions.

Thanks for the Hint!

References:
http://tuxboot.org/
http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/21/what-...ot-be-used-to-start-up-your-computer-message/

just like to return my thanks, as this worked for me.
i just repartitioned my 10.6.8 sl partition a few hundred gigs to be safe.
it worked perfectly.
just about to restart and try the install
ill let you know how it goes.
elf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back