Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know this does not deal with internal hardware of a Hackintosh, but my parts list is finalized and I'm ready to order all the components, so I need to shift my focus over to the mouse and keyboard. I would get the actual Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse, but I don't want to drop $140 just for a keyboard and mouse. Basically, what do you guys use besides the actual Apple accessories. I'm talking third party. Hopefully this will help me decide! Btw, I don't want to spend that much, I'm on a tight budget!
-HyperMc5

P.S. If this was posted in the wrong place I'm sorry

I use a mixture of Apple and Logitech keyboards. The Logitech K270 I have at home has most of the "media" keys available, and even the basic wired K200 at the office has volume up/down/mute and play/pause controls that natively work in OS X.
Even many of those buttons on the Microsoft keyboards work, if you can cope with the Microsoft ergonomics (I had one where the keys got stiff after a while).

I'm also a big fan of the Logitech mice, especially the ones that support side-scrolling (push the scroll wheel to the side). There's a big variety, so you should fine one that fits your hand size. One of mine is a Logitech "dark field" model (M905?) which I love. Logitech also provide OS X software to integrate with System Preferences and let you configure the behaviour of the various buttons/etc.

Logitech K750 and M570, but you won't save much going this way - the K750 mac version or PC version is almost same price as Mac aluminum KB with number keypad.
Not sure about the mouse vs trackball, but I would expect the trackball to be more $.

Thanks guys,
I built a budget PC for my family and my mom wanted an ergonomic keyboard so we got the Logitech Wave. I didn't like the keyboard, but it came with the M510 mouse which I really like. I'll get that mouse. I still struggle to find a keyboard. Does it have to have the mac keys such as return vs enter? I don't mind but how is compatibility?
-HyperMac5

I still struggle to find a keyboard. Does it have to have the mac keys such as return vs enter? I don't mind but how is compatibility?

Only compatibility issues are with the extra volume/etc keys, but most of them work as expected. Just don't expect a Microsoft "calculator" button to do anything useful. Everything else should Just Work:
Windows key => Command
Alt => Alt/Option
That's about it (other than the control key often being in a slightly different location: it's still called "control").

I can understand trying to save money, but with Keyboards & Mice, it kind of makes sense to pay a bit of money for something of decent quality! After all, this is your physical interface to the computer, you want something that not only "works" but also facilitates productivity and enjoyment.

I've been on the search for the perfect Keyboard + Mouse combo for years. (and wasted a lot of money trying different products).

The one thing I can guarantee is that "what works for someone might not work for you". For your price range, I would suggest going to a few stores and testing a variety of different products. (not just holding them in your hand for a breif moment- instead, actually sit down do some mousing and type something out).

My current config:

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder V2. Simple design, but super comfortable and responsive. For me, this is the best mouse I have ever used.
Keyboard: Apple Wired Keyboard (I know, this isnt actually a very good keyboard in terms of ergonomics, but having one at work caused me to "get used to it" and so it's stuck for now)

But I am planning to try out the WASD keyboards, as I love old school mechanical keyboards and the idea of customising a keyset to match my hack is appealing!

http://www.razerzone.com/au-en/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad?fnode=56#overview
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

I'm using an old keyboard and mouse from a g5 and work fine. The only problem is that I am not able to used second button because in the preference it seems don't exist...any suggestions?

I use the Cherry Initial for Mac USB Keyboards - They can be a little pricey but you can often pick one up on ebay cheaply.

49502-keyboard.png

edit - They are available as QWERTY - I just don't have a picture

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back