XFX Ati RadeonHD 4890 1Gb
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody

I finally got my XFX Radeon HD4890 1Gb fully working with both kexts and injector from MB, which is nice, but, I've been thinking about
upgrading my GFX to a more natively supported Nvidia card, lately.

My sights has set on the Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 TI 1Gb, since I've seen in the 10.7.4 wiki, that both dual DVI should work OOB.

However, does anyone here know, if this would be a downgrade GFX wise (FPS, details etc in Windows gaming)?

And, am I right in assuming, that this card really does work OOB?

Hope you guys can help me out, a bit :)

Have a nice summer, by the way ;-)

NB. By the way, I still heavily rely on both 10.7.3 (since my ASUS board and CPU runs very laggy in 10.7.4), and 10.6.8 (I like to have both OS X'es, at the moment).
So far no plans to move to 10.8 - but might in the future, so it's important the the GFX works OOB in both (perhaps all 3 OS X'es)

Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2012

The two cards in mention are on the same relative performance level. There might be some advantages/disadvantages, but they would be small at best. You are going to want something like a GTX 560 or better if you want to stick with nVidia. You could get a 6850 and see improvements. All these cards are recommended by TonyMac as being hackintoshable. Click the link in my signature for proof.

Well, the 6850 might be a better card, and I might end up on the ATI train again, but I was actually hoping for some native support, and a newer, updated, and more powerfull GFX, without paying what the tip of a jet fighter would cost (hmm... this danish saying definately does NOT translate well :-D )

But thank you for your advice, guys - it's highly appreciated :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back