Contribute
Register

Think I'm halting this Thunderbolt C + Ultrafine upgrade madness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170 M5
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
980ti Hybrid
I've been (very) slowly planning an upgrade to my current build to support Thunderbolt C and, ultimately, the LG Ultrafine 5K. I use this build for my business: video editing in Adobe and Resolve, along with editing photos in Lightroom.

I'm not one to give up easily, but I think this is a situation where I need to let go and move on.

1) Not sure I'm willing to part with my GTX 980 Ti right now, especially for just an extra 1K in pixels. There is an extensive thread covering (a few) users who have it partially working with Nvidia, but seems 50% working - at best.

2) Since I have an MSI Z170 mobo, I will have to purchase a new motherboard, then purchase Titan Ridge or Alpine, depending on if it's series 200 or 300.

3) (if) it's series 300, which would make sense to do, then I'd also need an 800 series CPU.

All of this combined seems laughable for just a monitor.. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see Apple's rumored 8K display alongside the new Mac Pro... that'll be interesting.. Hope they don't mess it up.

2) Since I have an MSI Z170 mobo, I will have to purchase a new motherboard, then purchase Titan Ridge or Alpine, depending on if it's series 200 or 300.
Why wouldn't the Z170 work???

MSI has zero support information regarding Thunderbolt on the Z170. While there is a TB3 port on the motherboard (?), only a few people have actually gotten it to work with an Asus TB add in card.
Oh, are you planning to use the thunderbolt output on your motherboard? Because some the Nvidia GTX 10XX series cards actually got thunderbolt on the cards themselves

Oh, are you planning to use the thunderbolt output on your motherboard? Because some the Nvidia GTX 10XX series cards actually got thunderbolt on the cards themselves

Huh? I didn't know that existed.

I'm was looking to add Thunderbolt so I could use the LG Ultrafine 5K and a TB3 hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back