Contribute
Register

Thierry's First Build: “Mac Midi” GA-B75M-D3H / i3-3225 / 8GB / HD 4000 / Temjin TJ08-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verry happy with the little file server in a G4 case I built. It's a pretty nice board. I haven't played around much with the USB 3, as I have no enclosures, but I do have a USB3 flash drive. I might do some tests with it.

I'm thinking of my next build and am looking at making a B75N (just released) for my fileserver, and stealing the B75M for my main rig. My current main rig is a Z68 with an i5, so I could steal the i5 out of that.

I do want a G5 case though, been waiting to find one on craigslist for dirt cheap.

I just received the first USB 3 device in my life. :) (never got one before... I was more on the FW800)
I'll try tonight. I hope I won't crash anything, playing around with USB 2/3 or port USB 2/3. :angel:

First time I hear about this GA-B75N
Nice little board.
At first, I was really looking into a small ITX board and case. But in the end, I'm very happy with this mATX and this TJ08-E.
I have plenty of space for possible upgrade, later. (and I did not need a small one to put near the TV.)

I'll be interested to follow your topic when you build with this new board.

Hi theirry37,

Nice build you got there. I especially like the case. USB3 is so much faster than FW800. I think you'll like it.

Thanks Miramar for the comment! I really like this case. It's been running for the last 7 days, non stop, without any problem. Still keeping all cold inside, with just the front fan, sucking the air. (I don't do any powerful usage.).

Yes, I think with USB3 finally coming to our "Macs", I will be slowly moving to it, with the next external HDD that I buy.
I had 2 portable drives with FW800 and it was really fast on my previous iMac and MBPro.
But now that ThunderBolt is on all the new Macs, I would need an adapter. I won't bother and will just get USB3 devices.

Anyway, I rarely do big transfer of data. Just the fist Time Machine back up will take some time. Then, it's quite fast, for the few files to back up.

I just received the first USB 3 device in my life. :) (never got one before... I was more on the FW800)
I'll try tonight. I hope I won't crash anything, playing around with USB 2/3 or port USB 2/3. :angel:

After some test, the USB 3.0 flash drive is working fine on the USB 3.0 ports. (I have a new Transcend JetFlash 8GB USB 3.0)
Also working ok, on the USB 2.0 ports.

But none of my USB 2.0 devices are working on the USB 3.0 ports. :thumbdown:
I'm following on this thread, to see if it's a problem only on my board : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/77695-usb-3-not-working-2.html#post494551

Thanks Miramar for the comment! I really like this case. It's been running for the last 7 days, non stop, without any problem. Still keeping all cold inside, with just the front fan, sucking the air. (I don't do any powerful usage.).

Yes, I think with USB3 finally coming to our "Macs", I will be slowly moving to it, with the next external HDD that I buy.
I had 2 portable drives with FW800 and it was really fast on my previous iMac and MBPro.
But now that ThunderBolt is on all the new Macs, I would need an adapter. I won't bother and will just get USB3 devices.

Anyway, I rarely do big transfer of data. Just the fist Time Machine back up will take some time. Then, it's quite fast, for the few files to back up.

I just did a speed test with USB3. The results are posted in my thread. Basically I'm getting the same speed with a 3TB Toshiba/Hitachi HD connected via USB3 and connected internally directly to a SATA3 port.

Re USB3, I have the same experience as you. None of my USB2 flash drives or HDs are working in a USB3 port. Other things like my Razer mouse and DLink bluetooth adaptor are OK. Strangely my Apple Wired Keyboard does not work in a USB3 port while a generic one does.

Same for me, the USB mouse is working.
I think the Apple wired keyboard is passing something more, than usual USB keyboard. (maybe because it's also a hub.)
Thanks for your updates, at least I know it's not coming from a mistake that I made.

thank's yes coming soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back