Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I should have all the physical tools to complete my build, but what Thermal Compound should I get for the processor? Is there anything else like this I need to build a PC from scratch that I might be forgetting?

I used Arctic Silver. I forget which one, 5 or 7? I have several tubes of the stuff. Never tried the ceramic stuff, which is safer I hear in case you drip some on your motherboard, but I always stuck with Arctic Silver.

I also had a thermal compound removal kit, I think also by Arctic which helped getting the factory themal compound gunk off the heatsink.

Funny, I usually I don't bother as I've build many computers over the years and often use the compound found on the retail CPU heatsink/fan, but for my i5 750, I went through the added hassle to remove and wipe off the compound and then apply Arctic Silver with the credit card technique, actually in this case, I used several business cards instead.

I've never been a hardcore over-clocker (again in addition to tubes of Arctic Silver, I have unused 3rd party CPU fans I never got around to using), so as long as it keeps my CPU relatively cool, I'm a happy camper.

If you're not planning on overclocking, you can probably get away with the stuff that comes on the cooler. That said, thermal compound is pretty inexpensive so it's not really a big deal to pick up some. Most people seem to prefer Arctic Silver, so I'd go with that.

Like others have said, if you don't plan on OCing, the stock cooler and tim are both fine. I'd recommend picking up an aftermarket cooler and tim, just to at least do some light over clocking. AS5 used to be great like 5 years ago, but there are many better TIM's out there now. I'd recommend Shin-Etsu X23, Shin-Etsu G751, Artic Cooling MX-2, or OCZ Freeze.

Shin-etsu is fantastic stuff, but a pain in the ass to work with as it's so thick and hard. It's best if you can get it in little pads that you rub on to the bottom of the cooler. Akasa used to sell them, not sure if they do any more though.
Gelid is meant to be good stuff as well, but not sure where you can get it.

Two of the best out there are Tuniq TX-2 and OCZ Freeze. I wouldn't use the credit card method, That seems to cause air bubbles. I believe the most efficient method is a small 'grain of rice' size in the middle, then just sit the heatsink on top. You could also draw a very small line in the middle of the CPU and sit the heatsink on top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRRWbQUqW1Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back