Contribute
Register

There is a most compatible brand of motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Pavilion Gaming 15 (2018)-Clover UEFI
CPU
i5-8300H/HM370
Graphics
HD 630, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!
I'm going to buy an itx motherboard (I doubt about Skylake or Haswell) and I have read that Gigabyte motherboards are more compatible than other brands but others say that Asus have better UEFI... So, the compatibility is about Sound, Lan and chipset or the brand is important too?

Thanks

Hi!
I'm going to buy an itx motherboard (I doubt about Skylake or Haswell) and I have read that Gigabyte motherboards are more compatible than other brands but others say that Asus have better UEFI... So, the compatibility is about Sound, Lan and chipset or the brand is important too?

Thanks

For modern boards, compatibility is mostly about the PCH chip, audio and networking chips - are these all 3 supported in OS X. For most boards, the answer is yes, they are compatible.

OTOH, Apple is again lagging behind the world in getting support for the latest Intel chips - they are currently a generation behind

For modern boards, compatibility is mostly about the PCH chip, audio and networking chips - are these all 3 supported in OS X. For most boards, the answer is yes, they are compatible.

OTOH, Apple is again lagging behind the world in getting support for the latest Intel chips - they are currently a generation behind

Ok, thanks! So, the brand I choose is for quality and reliability in general but not in terms of compatibility with OSX. I will go to haswell and I have a doubt about the chipset. There is differences in 9 series motherboard and 8, more than 5th generation of Intel that I will not use? In the buyer guide only recommend 9 series and motherboards with many functionalities that I will not use (6 USB 3.0, wifi, overclock...)

Ok, thanks! So, the brand I choose is for quality and reliability in general but not in terms of compatibility with OSX. I will go to haswell and I have a doubt about the chipset. There is differences in 9 series motherboard and 8, more than 5th generation of Intel that I will not use? In the buyer guide only recommend 9 series and motherboards with many functionalities that I will not use (6 USB 3.0, wifi, overclock...)

You can look at previous months of the Buyer's Guide for recommended boards back to the P55/X58 days of 2010 - http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=building a customac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back