Contribute
Register

the_gael's G5 Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the_gael's G5 Case Mod - G5 Hac Pro

Looking good!!!! Using mac pro HD sleds is a great idea and you've got me thinking on doing the same in my G5 mod. I'm interested in seeing how you mount them in the case.

very good my friend cant wait to see more pics of it all done ^^ keep it up

Would you care to share the Apple Chimera theme? I'm looking for something like that myself and would be grateful.

how do you move your user profile to another drive? have you had any problems with it?

miamimac said:
how do you move your user profile to another drive? have you had any problems with it?

Its is fairly simple

login as the user you are wanting to move to another drive and navigate to the Users folder on your hard drive - you will see that when you open the Users folder the folder with all the items for the user you are logged in as has the "House Icon" signifying active home folder. Copy this to whichever location you want your User Profile moved to.

e.g. I have a 60GB SSD drive for my system and want my user profile on a 2nd drive called "Data". I create a folder called Users on the drive Data and then copy the User the_gael's home folder to that location.

Once the copy is completed the next step is to open System Preferences select Accounts and authenticate by clicking on the padlock and supplying your password. Once you have done that you can Right Click on your Username and click Advanced Options, the 5th option down is Home Directory. you can either type the path where you copied the Home folder to or navigate and select it by clicking on Choose. (DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING)

Next step is to reboot and login as the user whose profile you have just moved. If you now navigate to the location you copied the home folder to you will see that the "House Icon" is now there on the user profile folder indicating this is now the active user profile.

You can now delete the old home folder if you want.

I always use this method so that I do not clog up my rather small sized SSD with User Data but keep it on a larger storage drive.

thanks for the quick reply and great instructions on my moving my profile. i hate the idea of keeping all my files on my boot drive and i wanted to keep them in the "home" folder.

also your build is coming out awesome, cant wait to see more pictures! i am living vicariously through you because i dont think im crazy enough to do a G5 mod o_O

the build continues to change - added a status update to the main build post - pics and details to follow, plus plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back