i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Was rather shocking to see this. Total dominance by AMD. I believe that it's mostly gamers that still build their own PC these days. I know, us hackintoshers are not all gamers too but it seems AMD is most preferred for gaming focused builds. Never seen it this one sided. There are many AM4 B550 boards here, mostly because they are low cost and you can add a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen CPU to get pretty good gaming performance, with enough $ left for a dGPU. For those on an extremely low budget, B450M boards sell for $70 to $80 currently. Those include models by Asus, Gigabyte and MSI the "big 3" manufacturers.

ONLY 2 of the top 21 Best Sellers are Intel based.

1-6.jpg

7-12
7- 12.jpg

13-21 Only one Intel

13-18.jpg

Screen Shot 28.jpg

Intel does slightly better in the top 21 CPUs sold on Amazon. Still far behind AMD.

Last edited:
For under $274 you get the foundation of a starter gaming system. That's something Intel can't really compete with. Even the CPU cooler is included.

Screen Shot 29.jpg

I wonder how many times a month the board at Intel looks at these figures, coincidentally they withdrew a paper this week that was basically projecting onto AMD. Gamers love AMD and I can see why, you feel like you got more than what you paid for, great value.

Even I went AMD. Lol.

For me, it was about having an IGPU that's actually usable for games. Also, AMD finally gave us AVX512 in a consumer level CPU. Intel is still deliberately handicapping their CPUs by disabling this. AVX512 is very important for those who use the RPCS3 emulator.

I don't think I'll ever have a "tower" style system on my desk again and I'm glad for it.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever have a "tower" style system on my desk again and I'm glad for it.
Ditto. Per tonymac's help in 2014 I built an i7 4770K-based "HTPC" in an Apex MI-008 case. I am still challenged by small computer cases and in fact have now bought another MI-008 with hopes of packing it thoroughly. I think this one will need a fan...

Ditto. Per tonymac's help in 2014 I built an i7 4770K-based "HTPC" in an Apex MI-008 case. I am still challenged by small computer cases and in fact have now bought another MI-008 with hopes of packing it thoroughly. I think this one will need a fan...

It looks like the fan will be almost completely covered by the power supply. IMO, it's a pretty bad design.

It looks like the fan will be almost completely covered by the power supply. IMO, it's a pretty bad design.
I didn't say where the fan would be installed. Planning to use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter plate and attach the fan to that, then mount it as an exhaust fan almost flush to the perforated side of the cover in that spot that was intended for the HDD. No SATA devices will be used. Maybe you are right, but I still need to see the adapter plate and the Noctua NF-A8 PWM fan to figure out the configuration.

I didn't say where the fan would be installed. Planning to use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter plate and attach the fan to that, then mount it as an exhaust fan almost flush to the perforated side of the cover in that spot that was intended for the HDD. No SATA devices will be used. Maybe you are right, but I still need to see the adapter plate and the Noctua NF-A8 PWM fan to figure out the configuration.

I meant the CPU fan. The power supply will be right on top of it.

I meant the CPU fan. The power supply will be right on top of it.
You are correct. I used a Noctua NH-L9i CPU cooler on both my "Mini-ITX 1" and "2" computers (below). The clearance is minimal, and the power supply's upward-pulling intake fan is directly above the Noctua's downward-pulling cooling fan. However, for both the 84-watt TDP 17 4770K CPU, and the 65-watt i7 6700 CPU, both computers have worked with no problems at all. I would add a system fan for a 12th-generation i7 12700F computer because it would contain PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 components that would suck a little more power from the 250 watt power supply. Still, 65W for the CPU and 53W for the RX 6400 graphics would, I think, not strain either temps or PS current capability much (TBD).

Back