Contribute
Register

The Tale of Three Machines - Or How I lost my hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Zen Book UX430UA
CPU
i7 8550
Graphics
620 UHD
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Machine1 Spec:
Gigabyte X58 UD5
Intel Core i7 960
12 GB Ram
2x 8800GTS Nvidia
SSD on Sata
Clover 3726 - Sierra - Everything working - Direct Update from El Capitan

Machine2 Spec:
ASRock X99M Fatality
Intel Core i7 6900K
64 GB Ram
1x 980Ti EVGA Nvidia
Samsung 950 NVMe
Unable to install squat

Machine3 Spec:
Dell Optiplex 9020
Intel Core i7 4600
On board intel graphics
8 GB Ram
SATA Hdd
Was running El Capitan - No onboard Audio - No USB3

Machine1 and Machine3 had been running El Capitan for months without any issue for months. Then I had the opportunity to spec out and buy Machine2. But by the time Machine2 came in, Sierra was out. Having done this a few times, I was brave enough to do a direct upgrade to Sierra on Machine1. Went flawlessly without a hitch, all functions working.

Now - before all the parts for Machine2 came in, Machine3 developed a hardware problem - RAM failure - ( had 4 sticks of 4GB in it, one failed, had to remove the pair, hence now 8 GB ). Unfortunately the machine was running when the RAM failed and it corrupted the HDD. Given the current situation, I figured I would just wait till Machine2 came in and then start afresh with it as it was meant to be a replacement for Machine3.

Well this is where my troubles started.

On building Machine2 and following all the possible guides out there..
Cannot get the installer to boot -
Goes to the point : +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Then hangs or reboots depending on boot options / config.plist. ( Have used Clover 3763 3766, tried iMac14,2 MacPro5,1, 6,1, iMac17,1 etc etc etc ..also tried different efi drivers for clover..different USB slots, different USB flash drives), btw also put in the old 8800 from the Machine1 since 980Ti is not supported..

Having wasted a few days trying to get Sierra installer to boot, I figured I would try El Capitan - now this is what freaks me out..reboots exactly at the same point: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ (reboot).
OK..so after wasting another day trying combinations to get El Cap installed...I figured ..let me get Machine3 back up, and will deal with Machine2 as this thread develops.

Now do realize - Machine3 had El Capitan installed and working till the point the memory module failed. So I try to install El Capitan from the el-cap installer stick - goes back to doing the same thing.. ++++++++++++++++++++++++ (reboot).
I tried going back to Clover 3320 and older versions of Clover, but I am stuck with the same thing. ++++++++++(reboot).

Please HEP ME!!!

Thanks in advance. I don't know what I would do without this community.

Prad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back