Contribute
Register

The simplest and easiest dual boot windows 7 and os x 10.8.1 could you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
will truecrypt work? at least encrypt the windows partition.

the chimera/chameleon boots, and select the window partition. at this point because it is encrypted using truecrypt, it first loads the truecrypt loader on the same partition as windows, where it will ask your password and then start the windows?

The last time I tried I could not make it appear when select EFI file. This morning, I installed Windows 8 x64 in UEFI mode and the installer created one EFI partition and one Microsoft Reserved Partition. Then I use Mac usb installer to install my Mac OS X on it. After installer, the EFI partition Windows created disappeared and new EFI partition is created in new position. Weird!

I've just use Mac Installer to reset my HDD layout, then reinstall Windows 8 in UEFI mode.

I am trying to figure it out how to boot from Clover to Windows, at least. Tomorrow I can get one usb stick. I will install Clover on it to see how it goes.

The **** happened to me as well. Bascially I want to set up a dual boot of win7 & ML in pure EFI/GPT configuration. No Hybrid crap. No gptsync crap. Pure EFI & GPT.

1st Try
I installed win7x64 first in UEFI (yes my MOBO supports UEFI). During installation, a EFI system partition(100MB), a Microsoft Reserve Partition(128MB) are created. Once win7 is properly setup, I used Unibeast USB drive to install Mac. Apparently Mac has to be installed on HPS+ drive, so I need to format one of partitions created. Then **** happened. Windows EFI is gone. A new Mac EFI(200MB) is created at the end of the HDD, behind all other partitions. The whole partition table is messed up!

2nd Try
I formatted the drive using disk utilities from Unibeast USB. When I go back to Windows installer in in UEFI, Windows doesn't recognize the GPT! And you can't convert to GPT drive to command line. Weird x2. Isn't EFI partition a standard???

3nd Try
I go back to windows installer, instead of creating EFI and MSR automatically by installer, I enter command line and manually create them in diskpart. EFI (200MB, same as Mac created it), MSR(128MB), followed by other partitions for win7, ML and data. Then I am able to install both windows and Mac successfully. A small issue is that Mac usually create a small 128MB partition after each HPS+ partition in GPT. But that's OK with me for now.

For dual boot W7 and ML for a fresh install you shouldnt have to mess around with partitions after Disk Utility during the ML install process. Like the 2nd post in this thread it really is rather simple, especially on these laptops.

Open Disk Utility, click on the Drive in the left pane.
Click on partition button, choose 2 partitions. Size each however you want.
Name 1 partition OSX or whatever, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Name the 2nd partition WIN, format as MS Dos Fat
Click on Options button, make sure GUID map is selected.

Done, install the rest. When you reach desktop, open the Probook installer and select what you gotta select. Install Chimera and thats it.

For W7, boot off the DVD and select the drive you named as "WIN". FORMAT, do not delete the partition. Just select the partition named WIN. The W7 installer will say it cant install on that partition so just reformat it. And thats it. If you have to do anything else with partitions after this, then something went wrong.

If youre trying to install ML on a drive that already is populated with an OS like W7 or something, then perhaps things I different. Me, I always reformat when installing a new OS. The method outlined above has worked for me for multiple installs on multiple systems.

I just successfully installed Mountain Lion on a Probook and now would like to install Windows on a partition created during the installation process. The problem is that I can't get the Probook to recognize the Windows USB stick I created from a .iso file. Is there a workaround to start the Windows installation on the blank partition? I would like to avoid having to reinstall everything from scratch just to get Windows on there.

Btw, huge thanks to everyone involved in the development and testing of these useful Hackintosh tools. You've made my life much easier, and saved me a lot of money. Kudos!

I just successfully installed Mountain Lion on a Probook and now would like to install Windows on a partition created during the installation process. The problem is that I can't get the Probook to recognize the Windows USB stick I created from a .iso file. Is there a workaround to start the Windows installation on the blank partition? I would like to avoid having to reinstall everything from scratch just to get Windows on there.

Btw, huge thanks to everyone involved in the development and testing of these useful Hackintosh tools. You've made my life much easier, and saved me a lot of money. Kudos!

Have you tried this:

1. Boot/start machine with Windows USB installation stick plugged in.
2. Hit ESC at the HP logo
3. Select F9 for Boot Options
4. Select the Windows USB from the list of bootable options

If that didn't work for you, have you tried doing this procedure with the Windows USB stick in another USB port?

Good Luck!
-bth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back