Contribute
Register

The right new Card(s) for me ? Which GTX 580 to get now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there i need some advice ! Fast if possible cause i think i have to return the graphiccard i bought about 3 weeks ago, if i can return it anymore...

I am at the point where i got my new hackintosh to work 100%, but since i was a long time away from all the hardware stuff, i followed the build of a friend and bought a PNY Quadro 2000 because he recommended it for "3D and graphic stuff",now i know that there seem to be quiet the differences in the usage of a card and what application you use. Since i am at the border to a professionell i cant say that i will stay with that applications forever, but for more those are the facts:

Target Usage in Priority Order:

• - VideoEditing (Final Cut X / After Effects)
    - GraphicDesign (Adobe Creative Suite)
    - VideoPlayback (i have problems with vimeostreams, weird horizontal breaks, havent figured out the problem, but my two Dell U2311H seem fine)
    - 3D-Animation (rookie Cinema 4D atm)
    - at the very last point i like to play Battlefield 3 and in Future Diablo III at some spare time, im dreaming of eyefinity.

Why would i want SLI ?
  • Very First Reason: Nvidia MultiOS - im have to jump from windows to osx, so having a true graphiccard for my vm would be perfect.
    Very Last Reason: I am silent fan of Eyefinity, if possible i would like to keep that in mind for a future third monitor.

System:
  • Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
    i7 2600K
    PNY Quadro 2000
    Corsair black 16GB

So in a short chat with a Mod, im sorry i dont remember the name anymore, he recommended a GTX 580 at the moment. Since the 680 isnt supported from apple yet i cant use them.
The Thing is that i have an old EVGAGTX 285 MacEdition which i could use for the time until there are OSX Driver for the 6xx series. But i dont want to stick with the 285 for more than, lets say 3-5 months, since im had serious issues with the latest nvidia drivers for windows.

The BIG Question:​

Which of the latest, supported Graphic Cards on the market (GTX580? which one exactly?) should i get for best workperformance and my little sli wish ?

Should i really try to stick to my GTX 285 till there are 6xx drivers ? But what if that takes more than another half year ?

I need the best performance for my usage that is supported and out there at the moment, i would wait for 6xx series IF theres antoerh one who would suggest it, because he also thinks the drivers might come soon.
Since were sadly also talking about money: I am willing to Pay about 300-500$ for one card i guess. would be great if i could get one now, and the sli one as soon as there is better financial space for that luxury feature.

Please help me with your knowledge, suggestions or constructive thoughts. Thanks. And sorry for my bad english, im german - or does that influence your help ?! :p

best regards,
meniK

Re: The right new Card(s) for me ? Video/Design - SLI please?

Looks like it also isnt a flawless event installing two GTX 580 to the hackintosh. So if someone has also advice for that, he is welcome to help me get more specific knowledge.

It is simple now. Just install the nVidia drivers from Multibeast. That being said, SLI doesn't work. They will both act as processing units for CUDA or OpenCL work, but they won't work TOGETHER for stuff like gaming.

so what exactly do you mean ? There is no Nvidia MultiOS Support with two GTX 580 installed / SLI doesnt work (in osx?) ?

in windows i need sli support for eyefinity and a bit performance boost, in OSX i would need sli for the performance boost and nvidia multiOS but i could live without that nvidia multiOS via OSX. so what exactly wouldnt work ?

would greatly appreciate if you give an adive on the big question, thanks for SLI infos so far !

best regards

menik said:
so what exactly do you mean ? There is no Nvidia MultiOS Support with two GTX 580 installed / SLI doesnt work (in osx?) ?

in windows i need sli support for eyefinity and a bit performance boost, in OSX i would need sli for the performance boost and nvidia multiOS but i could live without that nvidia multiOS via OSX. so what exactly wouldnt work ?

would greatly appreciate if you give an adive on the big question, thanks for SLI infos so far !

best regards
The your "performance boost" is not working.

Basically, what I mean by "working together in OSX" is that in the tasks that use GPU power, such as rendering and CUDA work, you will get the double performance of having two cards. However, for gaming, only one card will be seen.

okay i understand, again but im sorry, your not clear enough for my muddy head. But in gaming you mean osx or windows ? even windows sli doesnt work ?! your talking only osx right ?

i dont have SLI support for gaming in windows, even tough i have "windows hardware" ? that cant be true oO

But the Question for now, i get ONE GTX 580 - which model exactly is recommended ? im gonna search the forums, but if you guys or someone has an uptodate advice ill be happy to here it.

thanks so far.

menik said:
okay i understand. But in gaming you mean osx or windows ?

i dont have SLI support for gamingin windows even tough i have windows parts ? that cant be true oO or can it be...

But the Question for now, i get ONE GTX 580 - which model exactly is recommended ? im gonna search the forums, but if you guys or someone has an uptodate advice ill be happy to here it.

thanks so far.

You'll have sli support in windows. In osx, dual nvidia cards will behave as described by gordo earlier in the thread.

Any of the gtx 580 models should work. EVGA sells the most nvidia cards I believe so if you want something that a number of others use, that would be the brand to check out. Nevertheless, would be worth your time to search the forums on the topic.

thanks !

so would you recommend a 3GB version, or if i plan to use SLI, the standard, 1.5 is as good ? Dont really know if priceup is worth it.

and could i mix a evga 3gb with a 1.5gb via sli ? then i would get a 3gb for now and a 1.5 as soon as its time for it.

menik said:
thanks !

so would you recommend a 3GB version, or if i plan to use SLI, the standard, 1.5 is as good ? Dont really know if priceup is worth it.

and could i mix a evga 3gb with a 1.5gb via sli ? then i would get a 3gb for now and a 1.5 as soon as its time for it.

Here is a good thread for you to read:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=992813&mpage=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back