Contribute
Register

The goto Hackintosh for Mixing & Producing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would man, but I need the MOBO to have one or more Thunderbolt adaptable plugs.
This one doesn't have any...

For what you need thunderbolts? What about the ones with USB TypeC ?

Maybe this one ->link from Asrock, its a itx motherboard small size with thunderbolt.

For what you need thunderbolts? What about the ones with USB TypeC ?
Under à OSX system, I think it's important to have one or more Thunderbolt plugs, most of todays interfaces/docks/screens are still under that protocole. I just want to have the flexibility.

Maybe this one ->link from Asrock, its a itx motherboard small size with thunderbolt.
A mini ITX MOBO does look cool and I might have gone with it if I started with that... However I'm not sure this is a good pick for a studio environment (one where the computer is in the CR). I'm not expert in thermodynamics, but won't a smaller system tend to heat more due to it's size, which will cause the fans to run louder ?

I've done a bit of research on my own, and found out that I never checked the CPU support list of the Z390 Designare. From what I see the i7 8700(k) CPU is supported by the MOBO, so except if it has compatibilities issues with the Hackintosh system, I might stick with this MOBO/CPU config.

Last edited:
You should get a New iMac 21.5 4k, it is in your price range.
Check this golden build with Z390 Designare ->link

Any 8th or 9th generation Intel CPU will work with a Z390 Motherboard.

I didn't see no one pairing z390 with intel 8th gen, only examples with 9th gen.

Ok, interesting!
I might not have gotten all of it, what are you saying?

You think I should keep that Z390 Designare board and downgrade my i7 8700 for (example) a i5 8600k ? And add more RAM to compensate for the fewer number of cores/threads?

Single Core Performance is still more important than multicore performance for audio production.
Where do you get this information from ? I thought that the more threads the better ? I've had extensive experience with Pro Tools lacking CPU power, I know it's a very CPU capricious software. It seems to me that an i5 wouldn't really make the cut for a stable rig. The minimum system requirement to run it is an i5 (from Avid's website).

As an example an 9900K is supported by a lot Z370 Boards, but it will not get the proper vrm support of the board, so the performance will stay lower than on a Z390 Board.
How much lower? Low as I should switch the board for that Gigabyte Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0-OP because the performance will be significantly better or low as barely unnoticeable?

Last edited:
Well I had no idea... Good thread!
So, knowing that single threading plays a big part in audio related use, what kind of CPU would you recommend for the Designare?

I just realised I mislead you in one of my previous post... :crazy:
I can't afford to buy the 8700k, my budget can't permit it. Sorry about that confusion!
But I am able to buy the 8700...

As you told me the Designare would be a better fit with an i5, I compared an i5 8600k (which is in my price range) to the i7 8700, and thought that apart from the number of threads in the i7, and the higher frequency in the i5 (not in turbo mode), there wasn't much difference.

So what do you guys think?
Stick to the i7 for the higher number of threads or go with the i5 that more compatible with the MOBO?

Last edited:
I just realised I mislead you in one of my precious post... :crazy:
I can't afford to buy the 8700k, my budget can't permit it. Sorry about that confusion!
But I am able to buy the 8700.

As you told me the Designare would be a better fit with an i5, I compared an i5 8600k (which is in my price range) to the i7 8700, and thought that apart from the number of threads in the i7, and the higher frequency in the i5 (not in turbo mode), there wasn't much difference.

So what do you guys think?
Stick to the i7 for the higher number of threads or go with the i5 that more compatible with the MOBO?

Stick with the i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back