Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I'm currently on your EFI that was in post #698, has anything been updated since then? Haven't run into any problems after about a day of use so far.

No updates and the EFIs in post #698they were moved to post#1 with RC status. Do all your USB ports work and what brand Vega 64? AMD I imagine?

Edit: You were promoted to All-Stars. I appreciate your faith and patience, it wasn't clear it was deserved the first few weeks!

Last edited:
No updates and they were moved to post#1 with RC status. Do all your USB ports work and what brand Vega 64? AMD I imagine?

Edit: You were promoted to All-Stars. I appreciate your faith and patience, it wasn't clear it was deserved the first few weeks!

Great! Then everything is working perfectly :) No issues with USB, Bluetooth, Audio or Sleep anymore.

My full parts list for anyone interested:
Intel i9 9900K
Corsair H100i Pro
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming
Dell DW1860 (Wi-Fi / Bluetooth M.2)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3600
Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 8GB
Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum
Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2 SSD (MacOS boot drive)
Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2 SSD (Windows 10 boot drive)
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD
Ncase M1 Silver
Samsung C34H890WJN 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz

I went out, and I purchased the build in my profile yesterday. To re-iterate, I'm using an i9-9900k, 32GB RAM, ASUS Z390-I Gaming mobo, and the iGPU for now.

I followed your guide using your iGPU EFI, using an official copy of Mojave.

I am able to get into the installer, format my SATA drive, and proceed with install. It reboots automatically to continue install, and, after it reboots again, it kernel panics on boot up. As the verbose text flew by, I noticed a lot of APFS errors. I am not sure what to do.

Side note: This SSD was previously in a real 2011 Mac Mini, and, using your USB stick EFI, I was able to get it to boot with this build; it was on Sierra. That was before this Mojave install. I had erased it by the time I got into Mojave.

Welo
I went out and I purchased the build in my profile yesterday. To re-iterate, I'm using an i9-9900k, 32GB ram , Asus z390-i gaming mobo, and the iGPU for now.

I followed your guide using your iGPU EFI, using an official copy of Mojave.

I am able to get into the installer, format my sata drive, and proceed with install. It reboots automatically to continue install, and after it reboots again, it kernel panics on boot up. As the verbose text flew by, I noticed a lot of APFS errors. I am not sure what to do.

Side note: This SSD was previously in a real 2011 Mac Mini, and using your USB stick EFI, I was able to get it to boot with this build, it was on Sierra. That was before this Mojave install. I had erased it by the time I got into Mojave.

Welcome to the thread!

From what I've read on this site XFX cards have issues and will not work properly. Fortunately, there are workarounds but it would introduce too many variables to your install at this point.

I recommend you pull your video card and use the posted IGPU-EFI attached to post #1 to finish your install. Once you get it running, I will post a custom EFI that will load an alternate GPU BIOS for you to test. This will NOT rewrite your BIOS, only load an alternate one.

If that works, we can flash the bios with a more compatible version, like Sapphire's.

Welo

Welcome to the thread!

From what I've read on this site XFX cards have issues and will not work properly. Fortunately, there are workarounds but it would introduce too many variables to your install at this point.

I recommend you pull your video card and use the posted IGPU-EFI attached to post #1 to finish your install. Once you get it running, I will post a custom EFI that will load an alternate GPU BIOS for you to test. This will NOT rewrite your BIOS, only load an alternate one.

If that works, we can flash the bios with a more compatible version, like Sapphire's.

I currently have the XFX card plugged in, but I'm using the onboard HDMI for all of this. Should I pull the card entirely? Also, the graphics bios you're mentioning, is this like a workaround to the XFX vbios that people are having issues with?

I currently have the XFX card plugged in, but I'm using the onboard HDMI for all of this. Should I pull the card entirely? Also, the graphics bios you're mentioning, is this like a workaround to the XFX vbios that people are having issues with?

Yes please pull card and yes it's the vbios workaround. I am trying to find the right Sapphire bios for your XFX RX-590. I will have an EFI ready once you are done with the IGPU install. Don't worry, you will not have to reinstall anything, just drop in the EFI for the card.

Seeing as I tweaked the instructions, can you please verify that all the steps are accurate and let me know if you recommend any improvements.

Yes please pull card and yes it's the vbios workaround. I am trying to find the right Sapphire bios for your XFX RX-590. I will have an EFI ready once you are done with the IGPU install. Don't worry, you will not have to reinstall anything, just drop in the EFI for the card.

Seeing as I tweaked the instructions, can you please verify that all the steps are accurate and let me know if you recommend any improvements.

Maybe I am doing something wrong around step 16. Your bold face notice says NVRAM emulation isn't enabled until 3rd reboot, and it should be expected that the system shouldn't reboot on it's own. My system is able to reboot automatically back into clover the first time, then it will continue the installation, and reboot automatically, only to tragically fail with the kernel panic. When I get off work I'll try to pull the graphics and see if anything changes. Should I be using any boot arguments in clover, I didn't see any mentioned in your guide for this system.

It can't work with any of the EFIs in post #1 unless you pull the card. If automatic reboot is working it must mean I resolved the pram write issue. Attached is your custom EFI with sapphire bios. Give that a shot and please keep track of reboots, I absolutely want to know if it doesn't hang on reboot anymore.

Edit: Forgot to say No arguments, use as is.

Attachments

• DGPU-XFX.zip
    23 MB · Views: 71

Also maybe you should include a bit more information about SMBIOS, I did read in your thread it could be different for folks with 9900K, etc., etc. Maybe a table that outlines how to choose which one depending on specific parts.

Also maybe you should include a bit more information about SMBIOS, I did read in your thread it could be different for folks with 9900k, etc etc. Maybe a table that outlines how to choose which one depending on specific parts.

There is no need, the EFIs now cover all possibilities (I hope!). Systems with I5s, I7s, and I9s are all running perfectly with either of the 2 provided EFIs.

Back