Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

This does not affect macOS, but it spoils the look.

Is it possible to make the bootloader menu larger? On my 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) monitor, it looks too small.

View attachment 462737

When loading the OS, the Apple logo is very large, like Quad HD (2560 x 1440) resolution. Immediately after turning on the computer, when I enter the password for the account, my interface is also sometimes larger than after logging into the account.

View attachment 462736

Is it possible to fix this somehow?

Here's what it looks like after power on:

View attachment 462739

Here's what it looks like after exiting sleep mode or at another time (as it should be):

View attachment 462738
Let's focus on making it work. Is it working?

Yes, I did not see the F1 error for two reboots. She's gone. How did you fix it?

I realized it must have something to do with NVRAM updating because it was the last step before rebooting. I looked around for RTC errors and found a Githuib thread that explained the issue and suggested patch. It will be fixed in upcoming versions of Clover and OpenCore.

I will add to both EFIs this evening.

I just upgraded my graphics card (rx 580) to an Asus Vega 64 OC. How do I enable hardware acceleration in Catalina? I've downloaded VideoProc and it shows that hardware acceleration is not activated.

I just upgraded my graphics card (rx 580) to an Asus Vega 64 OC. How do I enable hardware acceleration in Catalina? I've downloaded VideoProc and it shows that hardware acceleration is not activated.

Did you use latest EFI? Clover or OpenCore?

Did you use latest EFI? Clover or OpenCore?
I didn't use anything. I just popped in the card and started up.
How do I use the latest EFI with an already installed and running copy of Catalina? I don't know what opencore is.

Sorry, please explain what I should do as Im a novice at hackintosh.

I didn't use anything. I just popped in the card and started up.
How do I use the latest EFI with an already installed and running copy of Catalina? I don't know what opencore is.

Sorry, please explain what I should do as Im a novice at hackintosh.

Dude, you joined 9 years ago! Just kidding.

Easiest way to do any testing is to format a USB drive FAT32, dump the EFI on it, and set your BIOS to boot from it.

Dude, you joined 9 years ago! Just kidding.

Easiest way to do any testing is to format a USB drive FAT32, dump the EFI on it, and set your BIOS to boot from it.
Ya, 9 years. I did my first hackintosh back then. Then took a bunch of years off in the middle. Now I'm back.

Could you explain the process of enabling hardware acceleration to me? I've found videos on youtube, but I've messed up installations in the past when following advise I've found on youtube.

How do I utilize the latest EFIs you've provided in an existing installation? What should I specifically backup prior to making changes?

Ya, 9 years. I did my first hackintosh back then. Then took a bunch of years off in the middle. Now I'm back.

Could you explain the process of enabling hardware acceleration to me? I've found videos on youtube, but I've messed up installations in the past when following advise I've found on youtube.

How do I utilize the latest EFIs you've provided in an existing installation? What should I specifically backup prior to making changes?
Use the flash drive to test the new EFI build from @ModMike.

If you have a ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING | i7 8700K | RX 580 Pulse 8GB, you can simply copy the EFI folder to a USB flash drive in FAT32 format, and then boot from it.

If necessary, if there is a black screen after loading, add the boot argument agdpmod = pikera (it is sometimes needed for AMD video cards).

You can also change SmUUID and SerialNumber to make iMessage and FaceTime work.

You don’t have to do anything else. The topic author tried very hard for all of us, creating an ideally working assembly on this motherboard.

Chiming in here to say this guide actually gave me a working system with OpenCore. Other sources say you should always start from scratch yourself, but that's way too easily said. There's so much outdated/incomplete or sometimes wrong info around a subject that's already difficult by itself... it's quite the blessing to see a guy like you who a)knows what he is doing b) knows how to explain or write a tutorial for others and last but not least c) keeps things up-to-date and complete.

One question though, the Radeon RX 580/5500/5700 is natively supported by MacOS. So I assume, when I plugin that card into my system thats's currently on Intel IGPU, it works out of the box if I change the OpenCore config.plist to the Dedicated GPU. So why then is that SSDT/AML file / direct framebuffer injection needed? And SSDT/AML file = framebuffer injection right?

Last edited:
Back