Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

I actually experienced a crash (after 7 hours use) since I disabled Filevault 2 on the APFS drive. So this might not be the culprit. I also managed to reproduce a crash systematically using sysdiagnose (reboot at 3%). Again, no log are generated. Any chance that the WD Black SSD used for OSX would be the problem?
I run one on another machine as well, no issues.

No, I just cloned the disk (carbon copy Cloner), reinstalled clover and updated efi folder with new config and Kexts.
I would like to swap from my iMac 12,1 to the Hackintosh without reinstalling everything: do you think I can use my time machine backup (which is on a external USB HDD) ? If yes how to proceed ?

Hello, thanks for the guide and inspiration. I've made this build too - sourced from Amazon US/France/Germany and other online shops in France (waiting for the right price ...). Here's my report.
  • Enthoo Evolv Shift - 107,98 Euros
  • Corsair SF750 Platinum, 750 Watt - 101 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Ryuo 120 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm Radiator - 149,90 Euros
  • Intel Core i5-9600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz Turbo Unlocked - 226,8 Euros
  • G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 16GTZR Kit 3200 CL16 (2x8GB) - 116 Euros
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I - 199,98 Euros
  • WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe - 85,99 Euros
  • WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe - 67,99 Euros
  • 2 x Corsair WWML140 - 27,64 Euros
Future (waiting for the right price ... ;)):
  • Radeon RX 64 Liquid + slim fan (as seen in
    )

Not my first Hackintosh (D630, EliteBook 8070p...) but first PC build...
This is a dual boot config with dedicated SSD for each system. Windows for kids, OSX for daddy. The case is really awesome but is designed for dual water cooling only (poor airflow). OSX version is Mojave 10.4.5. Data has been transferred from a 2017 MacBook Pro under Mojave 10.4.5.

What works: All :p, including integrated Bluetooth... (Apple Magic Mouse (recent) and Wireless Keyboard (old)). I didn't replaced the WiFI/BT card. It seems however that installing the Asus BT drivers on Windows helps native Bluetooth to be recognised by OSX (thanks to a card firmware upgrade included in the Windows driver) ...

Only one big problem: FileVault 2 on APFS on the WD Black SSD. I spent a few days trying to make it work in a stable manner, I failed. I used clover to add the specific PreBoot drivers required (updated to latest version). I updated all the Kexts to latest version. It works, I can boot and use the system. But... no luck... I suffered from random freeze and reboot (from 10 mins to a few hours). The freeze are i/o related and no messages are logged anywhere when it happens.

I ended up only using FileVault in HFS sparsebundles on an unencrypted APFS on the SSD.

Also it seems that I had some crash exiting sleep - linked to "Prevent the system from sleeping automatically when the display is off" that was not selected. As soon as I selected it I had no more crash. I didn't dig into this much as I don't want that machine to sleep anyway.
you say you are able to have wifi / BT working with the wifi card provide with the ASUS Z390-I mobo ? You just installed windows before and Asus BT drivers ???

I would like to swap from my iMac 12,1 to the Hackintosh without reinstalling everything: do you think I can use my time machine backup (which is on a external USB HDD) ? If yes how to proceed ?

Never been a big fan of Time Machine on real Macs, although I do use it. Generally I backup via cloning.

That said, I'd think if you restored from Time Machine to your new disk and then install EFI via clover and copy over your configs/kexts, you'd probably be close.

Hello @ModMike ,
I'm new to hackintosh, after reading your config can I use your tutorial and your EFI DGPU folder to install High Sierra with ASUS Strix Z390-E Gaming, CPU 9600K and GPU Asus Strix 1060 GTX? PS: Sorry for my english, i'm French Best Regards

Last edited:
you say you are able to have wifi / BT working with the wifi card provide with the ASUS Z390-I mobo ? You just installed windows before and Asus BT drivers ???
Yes ! It was unexpected but possible after I did a quick search. The Windows drivers install trick to trigger firmware upgrade is documented somewhere (can't find it back). Others describe the need to systematically boot Windows first (and do it again every time the MB is electrically shut off) in order to have the CNVi card recognized on OSX ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-cnvi-wireless-module-bluetooth-on-high-sierra.266242/ ).

Yes ! It was unexpected but possible after I did a quick search. The Windows drivers install trick to trigger firmware upgrade is documented somewhere (can't find it back). Others describe the need to systematically boot Windows first (and do it again every time the MB is electrically shut off) in order to have the CNVi card recognized on OSX ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-cnvi-wireless-module-bluetooth-on-high-sierra.266242/ ).
So your initial post and the thread you link in the post I am replying to both say Bluetooth works. What about wireless? No, right?

The answer to your post was qualified. Bluetooth only, no wifi.

Back