Contribute
Register

The everything works Asus Z390-I Gaming * i7-8700K * SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 Build

On the NVMe, I tried diskpart,list disk,select disk 1,clean.
On the SATA 2.5, I tried clean and then create partition primary.
I didn't have trouble converting either of them from raw and fat16 to HFS+ in Mojave Installer DiskUtility. Still hitting the same roadblock. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Try sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / command

That didn't work either...

However, in a great leap of faith (and since I saw that somewhere in the forums), I grabbed a SSD, installed Windows 10 on it and booted it.

The card was working perfectly under Windows, so I updated the driver, deactivated Bluetooth and reactivated it before rebooting under Mojave.

Lo and behold, Bluetooth is now detected and the command `sudo kextstat | grep -i brcm` shows both BrcmPatchRAM2 and BrcmFirmwareStore loaded !!

However, pairing my wireless headphones still shows "connection failed" on "Connect", so it's all roses yet...

But it feels like I finally made a step forward.
Hopefully, people who were stuck in the same situation as me, will find this post useful.

Last edited:
I did some research regarding to custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext. I succesfully created SSDT-UIAC.aml. This is what my SSDT-UIAC.dsl looks like. You can use it if you want as a template. But always check for validity in IORegistryExplorer.app.

Code:
// SSDT-UIAC.dsl

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "_UIAC", 0)
{
    Device(UIAC)
    {
        Name(_HID, "UIA00000")

// override XHC configuration to have only 9 ports
        Name(RMCF, Package()
        {
            "8086_a36d", Package()
            {
                "port-count", Buffer() { 26, 0, 0, 0 },
                "ports", Package()
                {
                    "HS03", Package() // HS USB3.1 rear bottom
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 3, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS04", Package() // HS USB3.1 rear top
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 4, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS05", Package() // HS USB2 rear bottom
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 0,
                        "port", Buffer() { 5, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS06", Package() // HS USB2 rear top
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 0,
                        "port", Buffer() { 6, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS07", Package() // HS USB3 rear bottom
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 7, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS08", Package() // HS USB3 rear top
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 8, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS09", Package() // HS USB3 front top
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 9, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS10", Package() // HS USB3 front bottom
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 3,
                        "port", Buffer() { 10, 0, 0, 0 },
                    },
                    "HS14", Package() // bluetooth
                    {
                        "UsbConnector", 255,
                        "port", Buffer() { 14, 0, 0, 0 },
                    }
                }
            }
        })
    }
}

//EOF

After creating Remove the port limit patches in your .plist and keep USBInjectAll.kext.

On the NVMe, I tried diskpart,list disk,select disk 1,clean.
On the SATA 2.5, I tried clean and then create partition primary.
I didn't have trouble converting either of them from raw and fat16 to HFS+ in Mojave Installer DiskUtility. Still hitting the same roadblock. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I would have let OSX initialize the drive, don't create any partitions at all after the clean command, wait until you can reach the install window. Then use diskutil, create a GUID portion and then install. That's all I've ever done on the target drive except to then install Clover after install completes, booting with the USB drive again to reach the desktop. It's about the same amount of steps either way but this varies from Modmike’s guide. Could be another dead end...it's something simple because this hardware works. The other thing to try is create the USB drive with UniBeast. It should work but if you get the same errors you can eliminate any issues on the USB drive.

Last edited:
I would have let OSX initialize the drive, don't create any partitions at all after the clean command, wait until you can reach the install window. Then use diskutil, create a GUID portion and then install. That's all I've ever done on the target drive except to then install Clover after install completes, booting with the USB drive again to reach the desktop. It's about the same amount of steps either way but this varies from Modmike’s guide. Could be another dead end...it's something simple because this hardware works. The other thing to try is create the USB drive with UniBeast. It should work but if you get the same errors you can eliminate any issues on the USB drive.
I will try that on the SATA drive when I get home later. Then I think I will try one last CMOS reset and BIOS reconfig, before I try to roll back the BIOS.

Are you on 2401?

I believe my UniBeast only install key results in the same behavior, but I’ll also confirm this later.

Thanks!

I've replaced the EFI folder with the latest. Done this on multiple USB 2.0, 3.0 16GB keys, after building with Unibeast.
Added the EFI to a fat32 standalone 1GB USB key, same issue.
Re-flashed 2401 (since I had previously attempted to rollback, and version in BIOS was still showing 2401)
CMOS reset and tried with an AMD GPU and the EFI and settings mentioned at the start of the post, same issue.
I can start the install (HFS+ or APFS), after 2 minutes remaining appears, black screen, and boots back to clover. If I boot off the install media, it is like I am installing again for the first time. If I format or leave the drive as is (with ~952MB pushed to it from the installer from prior attempt) it still starts a new installation, then reboots after "2 minutes remaining".

I see a message about superIO at boot, not sure it is related, but I hear about people turning this off in other variants of the STRIX z390. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable SuperIO / Serial IO in the z390-I BIOS?

Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm going back and re-reading above trying to understand what you are seeing. It sounds like here in your description install completed. (I can start the install (HFS+ or APFS), after 2 minutes remaining appears, black screen, and boots back to clover.) Normally after install you do boot back to clover off your USB drive and then you would select the boot the target drive, whatever you named it, one last time to finish set up. It takes awhile for the set up screen to come up where you create your account.

From Modmike although this may not exactly apply to the above: It looks like the black screen hang during install has been resolved. If you do get one, make sure the activity light is not flashing and manually restart the system. The system will restart and the install will continue normally. This could happen up to 3 times.

Hi Mike,
Back again with another issue. I'm on mobile so I can't find the search function of this post. I ordered and installed the official DW1560 card per your instructions. Now I am having an issue with my computer booting up to the "Press F-2 to enter Setup" and having to exit out of the BIOS to get to Clover. A bit of a hassle for my set-up which doesn't use any wired keyboards or mice. Is there a specific BIOS setting to configure for the motherboard to not freak out about the new DW1560?

Thanks

WiFi card works great, BTWs. It's exceptionally quick with Airdrop.

Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm going back and re-reading above trying to understand what you are seeing. It sounds like here in your description install completed. (I can start the install (HFS+ or APFS), after 2 minutes remaining appears, black screen, and boots back to clover.) Normally after install you do boot back to clover off your USB drive and then you would select the boot the target drive, whatever you named it, one last time to finish set up. It takes awhile for the set up screen to come up where you create your account.

From Modmike although this may not exactly apply to the above: It looks like the black screen hang during install has been resolved. If you do get one, make sure the activity light is not flashing and manually restart the system. The system will restart and the install will continue normally. This could happen up to 3 times.
Similar , but mine auto reboots. HDD,SSD,NVMe, same.

If I rollback to 2411(this is a day older than 2401) from 2401 via AFUDOS, is it expected to still show 2401 as the current version?

I thought I successfully rolled back to 2411, but the BIOS shows 2401 still. Trying 0401 now.

Update: 0401 shows 2401 after too. Hopefully I’m doing something wrong.

I will try that on the SATA drive when I get home later. Then I think I will try one last CMOS reset and BIOS reconfig, before I try to roll back the BIOS.

Are you on 2401?

I believe my UniBeast only install key results in the same behavior, but I’ll also confirm this later.

Thanks!
Yes 2401

Back