Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
none
CPU
none
Graphics
none
Hey!
I've got my own company working with audio production, video production, 3D and rendering stuff, the works. I need a workhorse, as fast as can be and stable. I want to run Catalina initially, with the possibility to upgrade to Big Sur once all the software and plugins run reliably on it. However! I also want to be able to run Windows for some rendering applications.
Apps I'm using every day: Ableton Live (audio), Adobe (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere), Rhino 7, Substance suite (3D texturing).
I've selected the following parts from the CustoMac Pro buying guide:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
Core i9-9900K
Corsair H60 (Water)
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (64GB)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Corsair RM 650x Watt
Corsair Carbide 300R
TP-Link Archer T9E 802.11AC AC1900
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

Is this as good as it can get? I could spend another 1-2 K USD on further improvements. So, basically, I've got a budget of ≈$4000, I want to build the Rolls-Royce CustoMac for "creative" applications. Note: I've got a friend who's a great programmer who's gonna help with the build and installation so you don't have to be too terrified of my lack of skill.
I'm very grateful for any pointers and feedback :)

Is this as good as it can get? I could spend another 1-2 K USD on further improvements.
I would go with the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D and i9-10900K combo for the best results. CaseySJ has a description in Golden Builds forum you can look at. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z490-vision-d-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642

I would also choose the RX 5700 XT over the RX 580 if you will use this for video editing as well as audio production.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416p8gl/p/N82E16814202349

Last edited:
Corsair H60 (Water)
You also want to spend more on cooling than this. Look at the higher end Noctua Air coolers that work with the Vision D build. The H60 is only good enough to cool an Intel i5 and not the i9.

You also want to spend more on cooling than this. Look at the higher end Noctua Air coolers that work with the Vision D build. The H60 is only good enough to cool an Intel i5 and not the i9.
Great, thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

A word of caution, if this is business critical you might want to consider what happens if something breaks.
Relying on a friend who's a great programmer and the Internet may not be enough when you have deadlines to meet etc.

A word of caution, if this is business critical you might want to consider what happens if something breaks.
Relying on a friend who's a great programmer and the Internet may not be enough when you have deadlines to meet etc.
Thanks! I've got a high specced MBP-2019 which I'll keep for parallel running so that _should_ be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back