CPU
I5 3570K
Graphics
Hd4000+GIGABYTE GTX660 OC 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello! I ordered the card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB And I wanted to know what is the best method, get the full performance of the card
I know there are a few methods, but I do not know what is the best
1.Install the drivers from Nvidia for mac, then change to GraphicEnabler = No ,, Connect the card to restart ..
2.The same action, but also install CUDA Drivers (before or after?!?)
3.the Tricky method-change to fake "imac13, 1" and update the operating system special version listed here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/287-apple-issues-special-os-x-10-8-2-update-new-macs.html ). Leave graphicEnabler = Yes Connect the card, and to Restart

(All information about the hardware and operating system in my signature)
So what is the best method? Thank you!

Hi, i just received mine, will try the three methods and post back :)

Cheers

10.8.2 has support for NVIDIA 660 GPUs. You'll just need to run OS X at that version and use GraphicsEnabler=No.

10.8.2 has support for NVIDIA 660 GPUs. You'll just need to run OS X at that version and use GraphicsEnabler=No.

10.8.2 "does not" have support for the 650Ti/660 (GK106 chip) built in, you need to use the new NVidia drivers for those boards based on that chip. If doing a fresh install, use built-in graphics (HD4000) to install the OS, run mutlibeast, restart to make sure everything is ok, install NVidia Drivers, shutdown, install card. Boot with GraphicsEnabler=No. For those of you that do not have built-in graphics (HD4000) use the following guide, post #5:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/78875-getting-650ti-working.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

Hi, (sorry it took me so long to update)

I tried method 2, did not work for me; don't know why and also didn't investigate a lot... sorry :/

Got it to work with method 3, after many many different smbios modifications, I got one working (not sure why but I can imagine it just depends on the hardware) and was able to update to 10.8.1 and then use the 10.8.2 mac mini/imac delta update. iMac 13,2 string would't work for me, btw.
I installed the updates, restarted, changed the graphicsenabler to 'no' and turned off. Changed my old - if feels sooooooo old now ;) gts250 to the *new* gtx660 and booted normally :)

OpenCL works oob with these drivers, but I don't know any app that uses it.. if only handbrake did! Testes it with galaxies opencl demo and got 370 gflop... again useless for me.

Tested it with Heaven benchmark and it achieved a score of 1103; Drivers must be VERY suboptimal as I booted from my win8 disk and got 1789 / see attached.
Also for some reason I cant turn on tessellation..

Overall, Borderlands 2 is playable at maximum quality 1080p, and FarCry3 too when booting from windows, so I think it was a good investment :D

I won't investigate the nVidia drivers method as I don't have enough skills to do it on a timely manner, and I *hope* 10.8.3 drivers will improve performance!

Cheers

Attachments

• smbios.plist
    463 bytes · Views: 235
  • Unigine benchmark results.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Captura de pantalla 2012-11-28 a la(s) 23.04.10.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2012-11-28 a la(s) 23.04.10.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 166
Hi, (sorry it took me so long to update)

I tried method 2, did not work for me; don't know why and also didn't investigate a lot... sorry :/

Got it to work with method 3, after many many different smbios modifications, I got one working (not sure why but I can imagine it just depends on the hardware) and was able to update to 10.8.1 and then use the 10.8.2 mac mini/imac delta update. iMac 13,2 string would't work for me, btw.
I installed the updates, restarted, changed the graphicsenabler to 'no' and turned off. Changed my old - if feels sooooooo old now ;) gts250 to the *new* gtx660 and booted normally :)

OpenCL works oob with these drivers, but I don't know any app that uses it.. if only handbrake did! Testes it with galaxies opencl demo and got 370 gflop... again useless for me.

Tested it with Heaven benchmark and it achieved a score of 1103; Drivers must be VERY suboptimal as I booted from my win8 disk and got 1789 / see attached.
Also for some reason I cant turn on tessellation..

Overall, Borderlands 2 is playable at maximum quality 1080p, and FarCry3 too when booting from windows, so I think it was a good investment :D

I won't investigate the nVidia drivers method as I don't have enough skills to do it on a timely manner, and I *hope* 10.8.3 drivers will improve performance!

Cheers

Glad to hear to you got it work. As for your scores with Heaven Benchmark, OS X uses OpenGL, Windows uses DirectX or OpenGL. The default test for windows is DirectX, switch to OpenGL, I think your scores will be around the same as in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back