CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
Vega 64 (flashed Vega 56)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hopefully someone will find my journey to a functioning Magic Mouse informative. I left the word of USB dongles a couple years ago and got a Fenvi card. My mouse was basically unusable. I got an antennae extension cable and put it on the "BT" antennae in order to position it closer to my right hand. Its now usable, but on occasion it doesn't perform well enough to be annoying. a couple years later my fresh Asrock z490 board had a dedicated and non-locked down m.2 slot for a wifi card, so I did the reasonable thing and got a genuine Apple Broadcom card, installed it, and used my now unused Fenvi antenna's in the same config. It was better, but not great. The other day, there must have been some kind of interference and my mouse was acting horrendously.

I ended up finding a dual antenna that came with an ASUS board that I didn't know I had. I plugged it in to the 2 coax jacks. Absolutely Perfect mouse. I am amazed. Basically, antennas matter. If you have a Fenvi card, get better antennas.

Hey that's very helpful to know. I have a Fenvi T919 in what I jokingly call my 'Rack Pro' - it's antennae are buried at the back of a rack unit with lots of other audio gear. I generally have wired or 2.4GHz peripherals so once I got Airdrop etc working I kinda forgot about it's bluetooth aspect for a while. Recently though I had a nightmare trying to get Bluetooth MIDI to work with an AKAI mini keyboard and eventually gave up - but I also have a couple of extra antennas from previous builds I will definitely try thanks to you!

@antieatingactivist, @awediohead,

Any WiFi/BT AIC that has it's antenna's connected directly to the back of the case is going to be compromised by the metal of the case and EFI generated by the PC itself, I really don't understand why these cards don't come with remote antennas.

See this tip from 2019 in the hardware trouble shooting forum for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jaymonkey - very helpful thank you. I've even more EMF to contend with than a regular PC, with all the audio rackmount gear so I appreciate your post. The ebay link is dead (unsuprisingly) and the cables on ebay seemed to be 5m and 10m but I found 2m cables easily enough on amazon. I like your plastic L stand idea too - very neat :)

@antieatingactivist, @awediohead,

Any WiFi/BT AIC that has it's antenna's connected directly to the back of the case is going to be compromised by the metal of the case and EFI generated by the PC itself, I really don't understand why these cards don't come with remote antennas.

See this tip from 2019 in the hardware trouble shooting forum for more info :-

Cheers
Jay
I guess my point originally was that I remote hooked up the bluetooth antenna from the fenvi to be on my desk and it still performed poorly. Ive seen a lot of reviews of the fenvi card saying reception was poor and attributing it to the card itself. I suspect the card performs fine as the supplied antennas also performed poorly on a genuine Apple Card. I never thought that these basic plastic antennas were really any different than any others until this experience.

My FENVI T919 cards work pretty good. From my upstairs bedroom I can see lots of neighborhood WiFi routers and printers ? More than from my downstairs computer.

My FENVI T919 cards work pretty good. From my upstairs bedroom I can see lots of neighborhood WiFi routers and printers ? More than from my downstairs computer.
I'm talking specifically about bluetooth performance. More specifically about things like mouse and audio performance which move a decent amount of data and latency can be a real issue.

Judging from all the routers I can see from my FENVI Wifi connection I would say I have a range of at least 500ft. Maybe more. But I can see atleast 15 routers in my residential neighborhood.
But I have read that there are devices out there that are causing disruptions in WiFi connections and also hackers Trying to hack Wifi connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back