Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I too had similar results with my EVGA 660 ti. Esp with Oceanwave. I can see the sky with the sun, but the water looks like an old VHS tape being fast forwarded. I got about 470 on Oceanwave on average.

It's working fine in After Effects, but there are odd freezes in FCPX. I tried Slugnet's way of installing the opencl patch, reboot, then the patched geforce bundle and rebooting. Things are much better, but yes, the oceanwave thing is perplexing.

Well, I finally sold my NEW 660 Ti and bought a Gigabyte GTX 670 (GV-N670OC-2GD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423

And here what I got:

System hardware: in signature.
System software: 10.8 + 10.8.2 combo update + latest supplemental update + latest nvidia drivers for 10.8.2. No MB graphics options used. GE=No.

Just grabbed the 660 Ti and put the 670 without changing anything, and finally ... every thing works OOB including sleep/wake (which was my problem with the 660 Ti).

Benchmarks (consider my old 1st generation i7-860 CPU):
LuxMark score: Sala scene, GPU only = 1155.
Unigine Heaven 3:

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-12%20at%206.56.30%20PM.png

Now I'm happy :)

**** YEAH!!! OpenCL is working now.

For those with a 660Ti with more than 2gb ram and in ML 10.8.2 do the following:

1. Boot in safe mode (-x)
  2. Open the OpenCL file with HexEdit located at /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL/Versions/A/OpenCL
  3. Open the find & replace (cmd+f), select HEX.
  4. Find 3d 01 00 00 80 73 e7 replace for 3d 01 00 00 80 90 90
  5. Find ff 50 68 48 39 d8 73 e5 replace it for ff 50 68 48 39 d8 90 90
  6. Save and replace the OpenCL in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL/Versions/A
  7. Extract the kexts of the nvidia driver package with Pacifist
  8. Install it with Kext Wizard (or Kext Beast), repair permissions and rebuild cache
  9. Reboot

That worked for me. There are 3 common problems with this task: trying to edit the OpenCL without safe mode (bugs the whole system and it`ll not boot anymore), not repairing permissions (it`ll not boot until you do so) and installing the multibeast or netkas GeForce Something.lyb fix (i wasted a lot of time until i realized that the normal nvidia drivers do the trick).

I have a a Galaxy 660Ti with 3gb ram and now OpenCL and triple monitors configuration works (you need nvidia drivers for all 3 monitors).

Here is the Luxmark bench:
Screen Shot 2012-10-12 at 6.41.29 PM.png

Credit for the HEX Fix: Netkas (the god :D)

After reading the whole thread, I'm still not sure if the new NVIDIA drivers solved the FCPX problems for everyone?
At least one user (3william56) reported that everything works for him now (EVGA 660Ti)...some more reports about remaining problems with the same/other models of the 660Ti would be great!

After reading the whole thread, I'm still not sure if the new NVIDIA drivers solved the FCPX problems for everyone?
At least one user (3william56) reported that everything works for him now (EVGA 660Ti)...some more reports about remaining problems with the same/other models of the 660Ti would be great!

IMHO, get a GTX 670 instead if you can afford the extra $90~$100!

IMHO, get a GTX 670 instead if you can afford the extra $90~$100!

It's probably more likely that I'll buy a 650Ti instead...Don't want to spend that much on a graphics card for a little bit of video editing and noo gaming...

I installed the FCPX trial to give it a go. What exactly needs to be tested? I know it's been mentioned somewhere in the 35+ pages here but I didn't manage to dig it up...

I threw in a couple of clips, applied effects and transitions and exported h264 from FCPX. All fine. I don't have compressor to try.

Btw, is it correct that FCPX doesn't let you set h264 export settings? Need compressor (or something else) for that?

Now off to test Premiere, which I prefer for its native AVCHD support.

<Update> Premiere CS5.5 lets me choose Mercury GPU acceleration after deleting cuda_supported_cards.txt from the premiere.app package. </UPDATE>

Finally got around to testing 4 screens on my MSI: success.

HDMI via HDMI-DVI cable: 1920x1080 60hz TFT display
DVI1 : triplehead2go at 2400x600 85hz
DVI2 : triplehead2go at 2400x600 85hz
DP via VGA adapter : triplehead2go at 2400x600 85hz

Yes all these triplehead's are pixel snobbery but they happened to be lying around in the lab so why not test 'm hé? ;)

From a quick openGL render test at those resolutions (one window spanning the triplehead's at 7200x600) it's clear that the 660ti blows my old HD6870 out of the water. So far very happy with the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back