Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the problem I see. Often I can sleep and wake right away without problems, but walk away and have lunch and it's touch and go whether it will wake from sleep properly when I come back. I can still ssh back in, but even issuing shutdown from the cli doesn't work properly (ends ssh session, but doesn't restart etc).

I'd also pinned this issue to the graphics card, but today I've come across an old post about ML not waking from sleep properly because the hard drives have been unmounted! I'm thinking this may be the real issue.

It's to do with AHCI mode and AHCI SATA Hot plug feature that some motherboards have (mine does). If you've ever had to apply the 'orange icon fix' to stop disk drive icons from being orange, then you'll have dealt with this issue cosmetically.

Google for "Wake from Sleep - Freeze - Due to ejected HDD's" to read the issue thread (different forum). There are some workarounds, one of which I'm about to try :) But since I don't think it's 660 ti related I'm not going to talk about it further in this thread.

Well, check your console and see what's the error it shows when you wake your system from sleep, mine is ...

Code:
NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

so its differently the 660 ti!

BTW, I installed a fresh ML, tried every possible combination: 10.8.1 with OpenCL patch from MB, 10.8.2 with/without OpenCL patch from MB (since 10.8.2 should has full native kepler support and dont need the patched openCL method, 10.8.2 without latest Nvidia drivers for 10.8.2. All with the same issue.

CustoMac 2012 post says 660 Ti are supported, @thelostswede has the exact same card as me (Galaxy GTX 660 Ti GC 2GB, actually I bought this card after his recommendation for it) with no problems as he said (touch wood), but the fact that the most of us with 600 Ti have problems!!! is it possible to be solved? by patched kext maybe? something in chimera? not sure! I'm advanced user and it's not the first time with hackintosh, I read a lot, and know how to find my way when there's a problem, BUT I'm not a software coder, so I don't know what the error above means, and can't find a solution myself. Really frustrated :( The problem is: In my country, it's not available to return a product just because it doesn't fit my needs, it should has a technical issue to be able to return it, so I have to resell it with lose, to switch to 670 for example or just stay with my old 5770, so I'm a total loser here :(

I think this card should be removed from the CustoMac 2012 post, unless there is a possible solution for its problems.

Yeah! Good Luck!

Post results! Were all anxious!

Could it be the Mobo? I mean the SAME card is used by me and @thelostswede, could it be the fact that I use older Mobo (GA-P55-USB3)?

If I upgraded to Z77X-UD5H and i7-3770k, is this will make any difference - other than spending more $$ ;)?

Hey all! Just finished my first build! Well almost finished.

I bought an MSI 660 Ti and I can't seem to get it recognized by the system.

My motherboard is the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and I'm running ML 10.8.2. I'm not the best at all this so could someone maybe give me a quick guide as to the order of what I need to do?

BIOS settings? MultiBeast settings? and any other patches or edits I need to install?

I have the iMac 12,2 definition and so far the Graphics show up as Intel HD 4000.

-Jorge

Well, check your console and see what's the error it shows when you wake your system from sleep, mine is ...

Code:
NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error
I get that at wake, often paired with the PBDMA error.
Code:
NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x20 = PBDMA Error
NVDA(Compute): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

is it possible to be solved? by patched kext maybe? something in chimera? not sure!
Haven't been able to test my ideas about disk mounting mentioned yesterday – because my hack dutifully woke up properly every time I slept it yesterday!
Just as an FYI, I had made some changes. I had the same issue of not waking from sleep properly in Ubuntu (I mentioned this earlier in the thread), which had me searching wider than hack forums. I've seen reports of issues with sleep and these cards in Linux and Windows, so I don't think it's hack specific. There was one hint I read that there might be a bios update for my MSI 660ti, turns out there isn't, BUT in order to find that out a I put an old PATA IDE drive in my hack and installed Windows 7 and ran MSI's live update software.

I also compiled the latest Chameleon trunk , r2067, and installed.

So two changes 1. IDE drive with Windows 7 added, 2. latest Chameleon.
Ooh. I made a mobo bios change too 3) set a 5 second 'wait for drives' to be detected.

Since then I've had no wake from sleep problems BUT since this is such a random and slightly sporadic issue I've no idea if any of those have actually fixed anything or whether I've just been lucky. Time will tell...

UPDATE Just had a freeze after a long sleep :(

The problem is: In my country, it's not available to return a product just because it doesn't fit my needs, it should has a technical issue to be able to return it.
I feel for you. I already bought the 660ti as a replacement for the 550ti which was working far worse in ML. But really the 660ti problems don't seem to bad. Just this one issue with sleep, I'm confident it will get sorted eventually, seen too many reports with too many different cards on too many OSs for it not to be.

Hey all! Just finished my first build! Well almost finished.

I bought an MSI 660 Ti and I can't seem to get it recognized by the system.

My motherboard is the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and I'm running ML 10.8.2. I'm not the best at all this so could someone maybe give me a quick guide as to the order of what I need to do?

BIOS settings? MultiBeast settings? and any other patches or edits I need to install?

I have the iMac 12,2 definition and so far the Graphics show up as Intel HD 4000.

-Jorge

I have the same mb and graphics card.

If your 660Ti card isn't being enumerated then it is likely that it is not fully in the slot or it doesn't have sufficient power. You can turn off the intel HD4000 in your bios and this will quickly tell you if this is the issue. I keep my onboard Intel graphics disabled, but others don't. The choice is yours. However for troubleshooting it might be best to keep it off.

For the multibeast, use this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...cess-gigabyte-ga-z77x-up5-th-thunderbolt.html

Always make sure that you are on the latest bios. I think f8 is the latest.

I use a mac pro 3,1 definition and it works fine for all that I have done.

The order of install is:
-bios update
-OS via Unibeast
-Multibeast

Best of luck!
-Alex-

I have the same mb and graphics card.

If your 660Ti card isn't being enumerated then it is likely that it is not fully in the slot or it doesn't have sufficient power. You can turn off the intel HD4000 in your bios and this will quickly tell you if this is the issue. I keep my onboard Intel graphics disabled, but others don't. The choice is yours. However for troubleshooting it might be best to keep it off.

For the multibeast, use this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...cess-gigabyte-ga-z77x-up5-th-thunderbolt.html

Always make sure that you are on the latest bios. I think f8 is the latest.

I use a mac pro 3,1 definition and it works fine for all that I have done.

The order of install is:
-bios update
-OS via Unibeast
-Multibeast

Best of luck!
-Alex-

Thanks. I'll try that.

I used that guide for the most part while setting up. I removed and installed the card a few times making sure it's seated correctly. Problem is every time I disable on-board graphics, and plug in my DVI to the 660 Ti, I don't even get to the BIOS, I can never see a thing. It's on the correct PCI E x16 slot and all, and the fans are on so power is working.

My mom works in IT and took it to her workplace today to see if it works on another computer, see if it's just a faulty card. If she comes back saying that it worked I'll try updating the BIOS and changing my definition. It seems here (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4279#bios) that the latest one is F11.

I currently have F4 (came with the mobo). Should I update to F11 or stick to F8 which seems to be working on your machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back