Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this bites.

I am building a Rig for my eldest who is in a Film Academy at High School. The part have arrived and among them is the 660 Ti

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K
Mobo GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Graphics EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
HD's Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives x 2 (1 MAC OS - 1 Win7)
PSU CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
CPU Cool Corsair Hydro Series H100 Cooler
Cd/DVD burner Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive
Monitor Acer S235HLbii Black 23"

Case NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Red

I am about to start the build tomorrow morning. Because this is machine is mainly used for Video and Music editing and the school uses mostly Mac's and yes, their preferred app is Final Cut Pro X, but they do dabble in Adobe.

Do you think the FCPX issues will be resolved with this card or should I exchange it for another?

TheShaz

Well this bites.

I am building a Rig for my eldest who is in a Film Academy at High School. The part have arrived and among them is the 660 Ti

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K
Mobo GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA
RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Graphics EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
HD's Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives x 2 (1 MAC OS - 1 Win7)
PSU CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
CPU Cool Corsair Hydro Series H100 Cooler
Cd/DVD burner Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive
Monitor Acer S235HLbii Black 23"

Case NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B1 Red

I am about to start the build tomorrow morning. Because this is machine is mainly used for Video and Music editing and the school uses mostly Mac's and yes, their preferred app is Final Cut Pro X, but they do dabble in Adobe.

Do you think the FCPX issues will be resolved with this card or should I exchange it for another?

TheShaz

Build it and try it out. If you have issues I would go with a 560 Ti (what I have) a 570, or 580 (not sure about 590)

So, something interesting happened last night, related to my occasional frozen graphics on wake issue.

I booted into ubuntu (for wine/steam and the free copy of Borderlands 2 that came with the 660 :) and left it downloading the 5gigs of borderlands 2 whilst I crawled off to bed. Apparently I'd set ubuntu to suspend when idle for 1 hour, so it did an automated sleep just like I've had issue with in ML.

Lo and behold next morning when I tried to wake the machine it seemed to wake but showed garbled graphics on screen and was otherwise unresponsive (even to ssh connection).

So, the same issue apparently exists in both OSX ML and Ubuntu 12.04, which makes me think it's an issue with the MSI 660 ti and its bios rather than OSX itself.

Looks like there might be a bios update, reading the forums. But also looks like you need MSI's live update running in windows to download and install it. I don't have a windows install. time for a tri-boot system again?

So guys, how's 10.8.2 working out? And 10.7.5? 3 or 4 outputs working by any chance? ;)

From what I can tell the 10.8.2 drivers are 295. something vs the 304. something of the recent update for 10.8.1. So they actually look like they are older and given the complete lack of anyone saying they do enable it, I suspect we're going to have to wait for the K5000 drivers update.

From what I can tell the 10.8.2 drivers are 295. something vs the 304. something of the recent update for 10.8.1. So they actually look like they are older and given the complete lack of anyone saying they do enable it, I suspect we're going to have to wait for the K5000 drivers update.

10.8.2 does not fix freeze/pause issues with 660ti and FCPX or other programs that choke on filters using GPU. Wish someone could fix this.

-Alex-

When you say "compatible" do you mean hackintosh compatible or Photoshop GPU acceleration compatible? Obviously a 670 would be preferable from a hackintosh compatibility standpoint currently. However, that might change with the next drivers release (probably sometime in October when the Quadro K5000 is released), but it might not. You just don't know until it happens and 10.8.2 just got released, so that might change things as well.

Basically no cards will saturate an x16 PCIe 2.0 slot or an x8 PCIe 3.0 (equivalent bandwidth) slot. So the 2.0 vs 3.0 would only matter if you had an additional card that was going to drop you down to an x8 lane for both cards. However even in that situation, there's a relatively small penalty for that, even with PCIe 2.0 lanes.

BTW the PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 is actually determined primarily by your CPU and not the motherboard. The slots need to meet certain minimum electrical standards, but most of the older 67 boards will support PCIe 3.0 with an Ivy Bridge CPU and a BIOS update.

Your power supply should be plenty powerful. You would only need something more if you had 2+ high end graphics cards.

Thanks for the informative answer! I'm thinking about the Galaxy 660 Ti 2GB now, but sometimes I feel that I should keep my HD 5770 for a while, lol! Really confused, what do you think guys, how often do you upgrade video cards? My 5770 is about 1.5 years old or a bit more, am I a cave man?

10.8.2 does not fix freeze/pause issues with 660ti and FCPX or other programs that choke on filters using GPU. Wish someone could fix this.

-Alex-

It seems like Slugnet has solved FCPX support issue for Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...d5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html

He just recently updated his post describing the procedure for 10.8.2:

Unless you install the 6xx support, OpenCL won't work correctly with this card, even though the card is seen natively by the OS. When I tried it all in one install step, my boot of OSX would freeze on a white screen after the apple logo, but before the login. Installing just the 6xx support also created this same problem. However, installing the Fermi >2GB patch and then the 6xx support fixed all OpenCL errors. I've tested the card extensively, and it runs great, including Final Cut X which a lot of people have reported having issues with. And, don't forget to install CUDA drivers from nVidia if you are doing work that might need them: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

I followed his order of operations exactly, and with the exact same motherboard, and wasn't able to completely replicate his results. I'm still occasionally encountering freezes when Final Cut renders. I'm not (yet, knock on wood) seeing complete system lockups that never resolve, but I'm still encountering relatively frequent errors that freeze my gui completely for several seconds. :(

It doesn't fix it (see above, that thread was already discussed) maybe someone should invite Slugnut here to help us out a little :)

It doesn't fix it (see above, that thread was already discussed) maybe someone should invite Slugnut here to help us out a little :)

I have followed his instructions exactly also. It does not fix the issue with the 660Ti and FCPX. I wish it did, but it does not for me.

-Alex-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back