Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds about right, although most people are getting 1000-1020, but it's nothing to cry over. You may have just found a fix for the FCPX problems, but the question is how does it perform with adobe apps? Have you tested any of those?

Ta. :thumbup:
Unfortunately, all I have access to is iMovie, FCPX, Compressor and Motion - no Adobe. All I have tested is FCPX and Compressor.
I added the CPU+GPU in Luxmark and got 1125, which I guess is comparable to what you're talking about.

Compressor, oddly won't start a render from Compressor itself on the Hackmac, but I don't think it's to do with the GPU. If I send a job via FCPX Export Using Compressor Settings works fine. Send the same job to Compressor from FCPX, select the same Settings and a Destination preset, and it refuses to start to Submit: "One or More targets are incomplete" error, despite all necessary info being there, the same setting preset working under FCPX, and the destination being freshly defined. Still investigating that one.

For the record, my setup was as follows:
Started on machine without GPU installed (details in signature).
Fresh install of MLion 10.8.1 via UniBeast
Multibeast: UserDST, Trim Enabler, NVDIA GTX 670 (whoops - error on prev. post - looks like I installed it after all), Maolj Atheros Ethernet, Chimera, MacPro 3.1, TonyMac theme. Reboot.
Lacie USB3.0 Drivers. Reboot.
Trim Enabler (separate programme - http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322 - Multibeast Trim Enable didn't stick for me)
Graphics Mode = 1920x1200x32 (manual insert into org.chameleon.boot.plist for my Apple Cinema display)
Used the machine on internal graphics for a couple of days.
GraphicsEnabler = No (manual insert into org.chameleon.boot.plist - still booted with internal graphics, just very slow and screen settings all messed up)
Installed 660Ti (all working, 2 DVI monitors, had that slow boot I mentioned earlier)
BIOS Internal Graphics = Auto (fixed the slow boot)
... and that's where I'm at - satisfactory working and stable. Word on other forums is that there's a fix in MLion 10.8.2 soon, so waiting on that, fingers crossed.

Actually, this only applies to cards that have MORE than 2GB of GDDR5. Cards with 2GB will run fine and won't need any modding to get them working. This is mentioned on the 1st Post
I read that also, but I also read it depends on how the 2 gb is determined because the cards are actually 2048 megabytes. But don't know cause I don't have a 2 gig card anymore to test. But if some people continue to have problems, it is a suggestion.

I read that also, but I also read it depends on how the 2 gb is determined because the cards are actually 2048 megabytes.

Quoting Netkas "basicaly, if your video ram amount > 2GB by at least 1 byte, then you are screwed." So I misread that, since he says 2GB. But yeah, it's such a simple hack to the framework it's probably worth doing if you have problems with a 2 gb card, as g4sho says.

Did anyone of you successfully connect an Apple Cinema Display to a GTX 660 ti using this or another adapter?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A/Moshi_Mini_DisplayPort_to_HDMI_Adapter

I really appreciate it when someone can confirm this.

Thanks in advance

Apple Cinema Displays don't have HDMI connectors, they have mini-Display port. You need a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. This is the one i use to connnect my ACD to my graphics card (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N3DTKY/). The 660Ti has DisplayPort so it will work with that too.

Well knock on wood... :confused: The 670 seems 100% better.

I picked up this card on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080I06WQ/ (GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC)

It's $100 more than the 660Ti, which is a bummer, but it is working out of the box (I didn't even need to reinstall ML) and I was able to create a short project in FCPX, apply several effects, and export using Compressor without any crashes or freezes. The logs look good. Things seem ok.

Sorry guys. The 660Ti was everything I wanted in a graphics card except for the FCPX problems and I am sad to be returning it. $100 is small price to pay for working FCPX for me.

I picked up this card on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080I06WQ/ (GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC)

It's $100 more than the 660Ti, which is a bummer, but it is working out of the box (I didn't even need to reinstall ML) and I was able to create a short project in FCPX, apply several effects, and export using Compressor without any crashes or freezes. The logs look good. Things seem ok.

Sorry guys. The 660Ti was everything I wanted in a graphics card except for the FCPX problems and I am sad to be returning it. $100 is small price to pay for working FCPX for me.

Awesome, glad to here that.

Just to confirm, you basically just plugged in your 670 and it was automatically recognized? Also I agree with you, I believe the 670 is worth the extra $100 for me just because it doesn't have all the cut-down stuff, which is not much, but may have an effect on how the card plays with FCPX

Yes, I just plugged it in and it worked with the configuration I already had. It works (for me, so far, knock on wood) in FCPX and Compressor. It also gets a slightly higher score in LuxMark (1143, up from 1008.)

My GTX 285 was no longer being recognized in CUDA apps so I thought I would upgrade to a 660 ti. My main concern is using CUDA for video (Adobe). However... after following all the instructions here I get stuck at the gray Mac booting screen. I tried several approaches but can only make it work in safe mode (-x). Reinstalling the 285 works fine with the same settings, so it's definitely video card related and not something else. I do have GraphicsEnalber=No set up.

Really don't know what else to do. When I go into About this Mac (in safe mode) it sees the card as a 660 Ti. Could my problems have something to do with previously installing FakeSMC? Any other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

System: DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0 mobo (FF BIOS), Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz, EVGA 660 Ti

I concur, I did the exact same thing. I spent more than a hundred dollars in my time and suffering trying to get the 660 to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back