Contribute
Register

The 660 Ti Thread: Questions and Answers Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I wont be buying the parts until November, I'm just doing research....time will tell. And, for the "little modding" does that apply to the dual monitor or FCPX? Great thread!

It'll work fine with FCPX since it is not that graphic intense of a program. I have the 670 and have had no problems with it yet. The only thing it uses pretty much is vram and then most of the processing from what I've seen is CPU based. While it does seem to use the GPU its not that big of a factor and the 660 ti will be more than good enough,=.

So you would say it's one of the best ones to get? Would the installation be more difficult?
And how much power will it demand, will the
Corsair HX 650W 80+ Gold be too much if I'm planning to use an Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz processor and a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard?

Tack på förhand! ;)

I really don't think it matters, I bought it because it was the cheapest card available locally and by chance it happened to have an easy to clean heatsink, which considering how hard some graphics cards are to clean, is a good thing to me, as they do clog up with dust after a while, unless you live in a dust free environment. I have cats, so that makes it worse...

I think that PSU should be plenty, the card has a max TDP of 150W and the board and CPU will not be over 200W alongside the RAM and a drive or two.

OK, so if I want dual 1080p monitors (DVI+DVI) , OOB support, and FCPX support on a clean install of Mountain Lion, then this is the card for me? Should I still use the Mac Mini SMBIOS, I would really like the Mac Pro, if possible. And, as stated in the ML installation guide, if If I have the Ga-Z77-DS3H Motherboard, do I have to set a boot option to PCIRootUID=0?

Thanks!!

Two monitors work fine, but you don't need PCIRootUID=0, it's GraphicsEnabler=No that you want.
And you can use an system definition, I changed to iMac 12,2 and it worked just fine.

Failed to run CUDA acceleration with NeatVideo inside FCPX on my 660Ti.
I've tried GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=0.
Both FCPX and OSX will be crashed after running CUDA on NeatVideo.
OpenCL seems be fine.
Anyone have same issue?

Hopefully thelostswede can comment on this since he has a 660Ti, but he doesn't have FCPX

But from what I've read with other people it runs just fine in FCPX, so it may just be a certain card, I don't know, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. The 660 Ti is a great card and unless you really need FCPX to be at the best performance possible, I'd get it. If FCPX is of big concern, then you could either go with the AMD 6000 cards, a GTX 500 card, or wait until someone confirms FCPX working with a GTX 600 card

For me it crashes on application of certain effects. Sapphire Edge 2 and Magic Bullet Looks 2. Both of these use an external editor to tweak or load presets and this is usually where it checkboards and locks for me. Since I use both of these effects often, it is a problem for me.

I deactivated the HD4000 as it was causing frame rate issues. I put a Radeon 5870 in with the 660ti and that solved the issues with Magic Looks and Sapphire Edge. It also solved an issue where the Resolve 9 beta 2 wasn't finding a suitable GPU for acceleration. CUDA seems to work fine with the 660ti on Squeeze 8.5.

Maybe my setup is peculiar to these issues with the 660ti. Right now I would need more support via Apple or the community to get it to work 100% the way I would want (3 monitors and no issues with FCPX).

-Alex-

For me it crashes on application of certain effects. Sapphire Edge 2 and Magic Bullet Looks 2. Both of these use an external editor to tweak or load presets and this is usually where it checkboards and locks for me. Since I use both of these effects often, it is a problem for me.

I deactivated the HD4000 as it was causing frame rate issues. I put a Radeon 5870 in with the 660ti and that solved the issues with Magic Looks and Sapphire Edge. It also solved an issue where the Resolve 9 beta 2 wasn't finding a suitable GPU for acceleration. CUDA seems to work fine with the 660ti on Squeeze 8.5.

Maybe my setup is peculiar to these issues with the 660ti. Right now I would need more support via Apple or the community to get it to work 100% the way I would want (3 monitors and no issues with FCPX).

-Alex-

Is this on a fresh installation? I bet, as time goes by, more support will come through. In the mean time, will two 550ti's run faster than this card? (last resort)

Thanks!! :)

Is this on a fresh installation? I bet, as time goes by, more support will come through. In the mean time, will two 550ti's run faster than this card? (last resort)

Thanks!! :)

Last I checked, 550 Ti's won't run at all in Mountain Lion without serious issues.

Yikes. Because of this GPU, i've ordered all my parts except my graphics card because from what u guys are saying, It's OS X support is dodgy and in a sort of alpha/ beta stage right ? Can anyone with a clean ML install please chime in with their experiences ? Thanks !

Yikes. Because of this GPU, i've ordered all my parts except my graphics card because from what u guys are saying, It's OS X support is dodgy and in a sort of alpha/ beta stage right ? Can anyone with a clean ML install please chime in with their experiences ? Thanks !

yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back