Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Just got my Hackintosh setup with Mojave, haven't touched Mac OS since my Snow Leopard hackintosh days.
I followed the guides necessary and setup everything according to them.
I have SMBIOS set to iMac14,2 and dGPU instead of iGPU.

So how do I know if the dGPU works? It is active in BIOS, but will the OS use it's resources?

Also, how do I check that my AMD R9 290 is setup correctly and performing as intended?

Next thing, how do I check to see that I got optimal performance from my processor?
And that all ports are functioning properly. For example that an USB 3.0 port really get 3.0 performance?

Is there any tools I can use to check everything?

Just got my Hackintosh setup with Mojave, haven't touched Mac OS since my Snow Leopard hackintosh days.
I followed the guides necessary and setup everything according to them.
I have SMBIOS set to iMac14,2 and dGPU instead of iGPU.

So how do I know if the dGPU works? It is active in BIOS, but will the OS use it's resources?

Also, how do I check that my AMD R9 290 is setup correctly and performing as intended?

Next thing, how do I check to see that I got optimal performance from my processor?
And that all ports are functioning properly. For example that an USB 3.0 port really get 3.0 performance?

Is there any tools I can use to check everything?

The easiest way to test if your GPU is working right is probably to just run a few benchmarks. LuxMark and Unigine Heaven or Unigine Valley should be good.

You can also try playing a high bitrate HEVC video to see if the GPU is being used or CPU. For this, I like to use the Sony Camp 4K demo and play it in QuickTime.

Hackintool is a great utility that can tell you if VDA decoder is enabled or not. It can also help with your USB port configuration.

For testing USB 3 speeds, just plug in a USB 3 drive and run a benchmark.

How do you check if the GPU or CPU is being used while running a 4K demo?

Thank you for the great post, answered all my questions!

How do you check if the GPU or CPU is being used while running a 4K demo?

Thank you for the great post, answered all my questions!

When playing the video in QuickTime, CPU usage will be quite low maybe around 10-15% if GPU acceleration is working right. If GPU acceleration is not working right, CPU usage will be several hundred percent. You can see CPU usage using Activity Monitor.

Just tried the 4K video in QuickTime (I only have a 1080p monitor but I guess the load is the same?).
Maximum CPU load was 35% during the video.
So I guess the GPU is working fine!
2150 in Unigine Valley which seems OK for my GPU.

Downloaded Hackintool and this is the result:

As you can see the VDA Decoder is Fully Supported. But why is the GPU info only showing my built in GPU and not my AMD GPU?

Thank you for the reply!
Anything else that is good to check on a Hackintosh?

Just tried the 4K video in QuickTime (I only have a 1080p monitor but I guess the load is the same?).
Maximum CPU load was 35% during the video.
So I guess the GPU is working fine!
2150 in Unigine Valley which seems OK for my GPU.

Downloaded Hackintool and this is the result:
View attachment 409907

As you can see the VDA Decoder is Fully Supported. But why is the GPU info only showing my built in GPU and not my AMD GPU?

Thank you for the reply!
Anything else that is good to check on a Hackintosh?

That's normal behavior from Hackintool.

It looks like GPU and iGPU are both working fine for you.

I can't think of anything else to test.

Now I have been testing out USB fully. I though it did work. But that was because it does work with all the devices that are plugged in on boot. If I plug in an USB stick when it is booted it won't recognise it. If it is plugged in before boot it works.
It also works if I put it to sleep and then wake up the device, and then plug it in, now it will work properly each time. But not after a normal boot.

Why is this?

Now I have been testing out USB fully. I though it did work. But that was because it does work with all the devices that are plugged in on boot. If I plug in an USB stick when it is booted it won't recognise it. If it is plugged in before boot it works.
It also works if I put it to sleep and then wake up the device, and then plug it in, now it will work properly each time. But not after a normal boot.

Why is this?

You should apply one of the USB 15 port limit fixes. Please see here for a list of guides on the site. Hackintool can also be used and makes things very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back