Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello.
Went to use Terminal the other day and received the following when I start it up...

Last login: Mon Jun 27 12:24:59 on console
login(2417,0x7fff71c53000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f9710e15cc0: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
[Process completed]

NO idea what this means or how to fix. Trashing Terminal's PLIST file did not do the trick. Have the same error on some other Macintoshs I've created and the same problem. All were installed using UNIBEAST and then Multibeast.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

NO idea what this means or how to fix. Trashing Terminal's PLIST file did not do the trick. Have the same error on some other Macintoshs I've created and the same problem. All were installed using UNIBEAST and then Multibeast.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1st) Welcome to the forums! Please place your build info in your signature, see mine on the left for a more accurate description than what you placed.

2nd) MY Terminal works fine and my hack was created with Unibeast and Multibeast.... don't be so quick to blame the tools...:thumbup:

3rd) If you used a TonyMacX86 Build to, ahem, build your hack - please post a link to it.

Try this, create a new user on you Mac and see if Terminal works on that. This could help in isolating your issue.

Hey Bob, difficult to place my build into my signature as I have 8 Hacintosh's in the office! This one is a GIGABYTE Z77X-OC FORCE motherboard, i7 3770K chip, Titan Video card, 32 GB RAM.

Ohhhh, I'm NOT blaming the tools! I'm very grateful for all the assistance this web site offers. You interpreted my message wrong. All I'm saying is that, I have been building Hac's for 3 years now (using ONLY TonyMac tools) and with Mavericks and others, I haven't had this issue. Now with the latest, 3 machines fail with Terminal after upgrading the Machines to El Capitan.

I'll try to create a new user and see if that does the trick.

Thanks Bob!

It's *possible* that message is coming from something in your startup (profile) scripts, i.e. ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc (if you're using bash - I don't know off the top of my head the names of the startup scripts for other shells).

UPDATE: I did a little more research and found out this problem is most likely incorrect permissions on the /usr/bin folder. (I found this information on StackExchange). Unfortunately, since the Disk Utility in El Capitan is emasculated and no longer has the "Repair Permissions" functionality, the official way to repair permissions involves a command in Terminal...and since you can't open Terminal, you have a case of chicken, meet egg. (For the record, that command is "sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /".)

But there are other system utilities out there that still have the repair permissions capability. The one that was suggested on StackExchange is Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html). After installing Onyx and letting it do its startup disk verification, you can run the equivalent of repair permissions by clicking the Maintenance tab, then the Permissions tab, then click "Execute" at the bottom right. And I believe that will fix your problem with Terminal crashing.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I did a little more research and found out this problem is most likely incorrect permissions on the /usr/bin folder. (I found this information on StackExchange). Unfortunately, since the Disk Utility in El Capitan is emasculated and no longer has the "Repair Permissions" functionality, the official way to repair permissions involves a command in Terminal...and since you can't open Terminal, you have a case of chicken, meet egg. (For the record, that command is "sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /".)

It isn't emasculated. SIP precludes changes to that directory's permissions, so it was a redundant function.

So I've tried Onyx to no avail. It just hangs after about 60% of trying to repair permissions.

Terminal is essentially useless. It will not work at all.

Am I forced to reinstall the OS?

As well, I also am unable to get any of my Printers working with this setup. They're all network printers that all worked forever in the past but with El Capitan, they all just PAUSE. Doesn't matter what I do. I've tried resetting the printing system, deleted and re-installed, nothing. I can't help but think this is all a permissions issue that I just can't fix.

Aside from these these two issues, everything else works fine. Do I need to try to reinstall from scratch? I'd hate to have to start over again.

Any other thoughts? Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I also tried adding a new user and the same issues happen as well.

You can use Homebrew to install bash 4.3 (brew install bash) changing your terminal app preference from 'login shell' to 'command' /usr/local/bin/bash

Hopefully you will get a working shell and can fix permissions issues.

Sorry, that should have been obvious! Attached a disk image, try mounting this and changing your shells open with preference:

/Volumes/bash-image/bin/bash

Attachments

• bash-image.dmg.zip
    701.1 KB · Views: 155
  • preferences.jpg
    preferences.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 297
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back