Contribute
Register

temps seem too high, i7 930 + Mugen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I bought this cooler from newegg, which has great reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134

I also bought Some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. Right now at stock 2.83 ghz (i7 930), my temps usually are around 45 (celsius) idle, and when exporting a video in premiere about 70. Is this too hot? If so, did I maybe apply too much thermal compund?

How much thermal compound should be on there, and what do you think my max overclock should be?

Thanks guys!

temps are o.k.

premiere uses all cores and supports HT

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. Hopefully it stays below those temps. How much OC'ing you think I can be safe with?

If you already hit 70°C, seems hot, I guess.

Arctic cooling is definitely not known as a solution to O/C an I7 9xx...

Check out this review : http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2481&page=6
It's not an I7 dedicated review but the temps results are the same (Pentium D run very hot) and it gives you a good idea of what a good heatsink is supposed to be.

cpukid said:
Ok cool, thanks for the reply. Hopefully it stays below those temps. How much OC'ing you think I can be safe with?
On my CustoMac Pro I I am running right now @ 3.6 GHz with that combo. It's idling @ 39c. This is with stock voltages and it's only idling a couple of degrees warmer than stock clock.

As soon as I get some time I want to see the maximum I can take it without it getting too hot. I have heard of people hitting 4 GHz with air cooling and higher when water cooling.

been playing around and was able to get to 4.1 (21 x 195). temps is ~ 40C on idel and 80C on 100% load (Prime 95, Linx - max, Intel burn - max). using Hyper 212 plus with one fan. added a 2nd fan, did not help in temp. i think it's case. I using a Antec 1030b server.

MacMan said:
cpukid said:
On my CustoMac Pro I I am running right now @ 3.6 GHz with that combo. It's idling @ 39c. This is with stock voltages and it's only idling a couple of degrees warmer than stock clock.

As soon as I get some time I want to see the maximum I can take it without it getting too hot. I have heard of people hitting 4 GHz with air cooling and higher when water cooling.

hi MM

newer batches of i 7 950 (as well as i 930) are well known in the OC scene to run hotter than early batches (< 31xxx) .

experimentating with Thermal paste wont help too much.

Trick is to use a well vented case with good air flow and a good cpu cooler.

Good ones (Mugen- Armageddon - Megahalem)

I use a an armageddon with 2 noiseblockers PK2 14 cm in Push Pull (800- 1200 RPM)

and 2 Yate-loon 14 cm SL as case fans - in and out @ 800 -1200 - they are quite silent

my I 750 is a selected batch , that boots in win 7 @ 4,54 on air (4,5 MacOs 10.6.4)
and finishes a 32 superpi in 8.02 min. and a complete cinebench 11.5 as well . Though i think this is academic , temps are @ 80 degr.C under heavy load and with full spinning fans , so suitable for benches only.

Second : to get a good OC experience its very important to get a good balance of
low vcore and exact DVID as well , to keep the temps low.

Here : 24/7 in OSX @ 3,6 Ghz with all CPU , Turbo , C states enabled . RAM @ 1600 6-8-6-20
Vcore : normal - minus DVID - 0,14 results in 0,82 V idle , 1,16V load , vdrop = intel specs.
Temps @ 800 RPM : 43 idle/64 load (Linx) and - @1200 RPM 40 idle /60 load (Linx-25 runs)

so in normal use with demanding apps I am able to stay @ 50 +- 2 degrees .

Even at stock speed its totally normal with these newer i 7 cpus that you get temps > 70 degr. with benches and demanding apps ( that use SMP and HT ) , if you use a not so well tuned combo with cheap CPU coolers or bad air flow......

and please remember , every CPU is different , you may get a highly overclockable i 7
with low VID hot as hell and quite the opposite.

And mmmhhh... reported idle temps below 40 degr @> 4 GHz on air and @> 1,3 V with newer i 7 ....
well ..may be outdoor in Anchorage and 6 fans @ 3600 RPM. ...... :crazy:

H.t.h.

best
s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back