Contribute
Register

Temporary Fix for 11.3 - Not Sure What to Do Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
So, to eliminate error messages I was getting after updating to OC 0.6.8, I used OC-Gen-X to create a new 0.6.8 config.plist, opened it in Proper Tree, and used the snapshot feature to capture my ACPI files (including my USB SSDT). Then I updated to 11.3, and realized I had lost some USB ports. So, I followed the guide in the first 11.3 post about using USBMap, but when I rebooted, my internal sound options had disappeared (only HDMI sound remained) and I STILL didn't have access to all my USB ports. I made double-sure I had the latest AppleALC, Lilu, etc., but — nothing helped. Finally, in desperation, I went to my Clone Drive and copied over my old 0.6.6 EFI folder, complete with my SSDT and the latest-available USBInjectAll.kext. Rebooted, sound is back and all USB ports seem to work (took advantage of that to create a new USBMap.kext, but have just filed that away for safe keeping). I obviously want to keep current with OpenCore, so I'd like to bring it back up to 0.6.8 — but after that experience, I'm loathe to touch anything. Any idea why remapping USB ports would have caused my internal speakers option to disappear? Or what else might have caused that? I'm glad everything is working, but... I can't shake the feeling that it's only temporary.

It seems you can run with the USBInject all kext if it works for you. But it will usually not activate all available USB ports, annoying but not fatal.

I would go back to your 6.8 OC, use it on a USB key, and change to the USBInject all kext (latest version) with XHCI quirk off. If the configp is modified correctly you should have access to at least some USB 2 ports, maybe more, and audio. I assume you delete the references to the unused kext in your configp and then add references to the different kext with corresponding changes to the kext directory in OC --I don't see, could be wrong, how you lose audio if you don't inadvertently alter something related to the audio kext.

If that works again you can stop there if there are enough working ports. In practical terms unless you need hi speed USB 3 storage USB 2 works fine for most peripherals. The Dortania guide is murky but if imitated-all I was able to do- you should be able to generate a USBMap kext.

It seems you can run with the USBInject all kext if it works for you. But it will usually not activate all available USB ports, annoying but not fatal.

I would go back to your 6.8 OC, use it on a USB key, and change to the USBInject all kext (latest version) with XHCI quirk off. If the configp is modified correctly you should have access to at least some USB 2 ports, maybe more, and audio. I assume you delete the references to the unused kext in your configp and then add references to the different kext with corresponding changes to the kext directory in OC --I don't see, could be wrong, how you lose audio if you don't inadvertently alter something related to the audio kext.

If that works again you can stop there if there are enough working ports. In practical terms unless you need hi speed USB 3 storage USB 2 works fine for most peripherals. The Dortania guide is murky but if imitated-all I was able to do- you should be able to generate a USBMap kext.
That's a bit to digest, but I think I followed most of that. I thought the SSDT worked in conjunction with USBInjectAll to properly enable all the ports (all on my MB are USB 3.0 or 3.1). But, yeah... trying on a thumb drive instead of my main system sounds like the way to go while I figure this out. Appreciate the response (yes, the audio remains a huge mystery).

So, I actually did get all USB ports (and sound) working using USBMap.kext, but when I did IORegistery Explorer, every port under the sun was listed. So, I ended up going ahead and updating to the just-released OC 0.6.9, and used my old USB SSDT and the latest USBInjectAll.kext. Not only are all USB ports working, but only the ones in my SSDT are showing up in IORegistery Explorer. So, looks like I'm okay for the moment. But I'll try to switch to USBMap.kext once Hackintool is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back