8600M GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

First time poster who is about to the take the plunge into the wonderful world of Hackintosh.

Was hoping to get some opinions on a possible setup. I will be using the system mainly for my professional work which is Music Production as I have now taken the plunge on my own home-ran studio after years working in studios in the UK. I usually have LARGE sessions to handle in Pro Tools & Logic with a lot of plugins running in them taking most of the cpu power. I may also use it for the occasional game here and there but i'm not bothered by INCREDIBLE graphics all that much, just enough to run a few games at a pretty ok level.

I have been looking at the i7-3770K rig with 32gb Ram and the GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo but i'm not sure about it for some reason.Will it be future-proof enough? Will it be able to handle v.large Pro Tools sessions with ease AND plugins on 30+ channels?

Also GeekBench wise, i have seen that these Hackintosh's GeekBench level out around the 14000/15000 mark, is there anything else that could possibly be recommended that would suit my needs? Maybe in the 17/18k+ GeekBench score range? I'm watching a i7-3930K on eBay that is probably going to end up around the price of the i7-3770K processor by the looks of things, would this be a better choice and what kind of mobo will i need to run that chip?

Anything has got to be a step up from my 1876 GeekBench score Macbook Pro from 2008!!! :)

Thanks in advance for any help you give!!!!

I don't know anything about music production but a i7-3770k is powerful!
I personally have an i5-3570k and when the system is doing web browsing and watching YouTube and checking twitter it only uses 2-5% of the computer...
Just little comparison, and if you want even more performance from that i7, over clock it! Get a h100i or some water cooling and you can over clock,

Also the i7-3930k is socket 2011 = no power management, it always runs at 100%
It is great for demanding users, you need a x79 motherboard with those processors,

Check out this series of building a 2011 hackintosh:

http://youtu.be/iwaW6HR9dw4

Also check out bob Roche on YouTube,
Explains a lot in his videos

Hope I helped a bit,

Jan

I'd say heavy Audio Production is probably up there with Video Processing. I can't be certain of that as I don't use Final Cut etc at all, but when I'm in Pro Tools HD or Logic Pro and I'm using ALOT of plugins on mixes which in my eyes anyway seems very heavy on the cpu after a while. What kind of performance will i get out of the i7-3770k when it's overclocked? How does it rate up with an unclocked i7-3960k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back