Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I am moving from the states to South Korea this fall and I am trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to take my oh so lovely hackintosh with me safely without breaking the bank.

The cheapest rate I could find for shipping was through usps and was around $170 although I could probably take out the power supply in order to make it weigh less. Right now it weighs around 30 lbs.

I am considering taking it on the flight with me as a carry on. I built it in a micro atx case (NZXT Vulcan http://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Enthusiast-M-ATX-Handle-VULCAN/dp/B003IPOYGK) in order to help with portability and it fits with in the usual carry-on dimensions which specify that it must add up to a total of 45 inches (although I am worried about the TSA giving me trouble). Since it has a handle, I could just carry it by itself although it would be nice to have padding. I am looking for carry-on bags which might fit it (such as this http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Hovercraft-Connect/dp/B002XSVC2C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1277091267&sr=8-2 ) which I would rather use the money for rather than shipping costs as I can use the bag for traveling while I am in Korea.

Any suggestions on what might be the best thing to put my money towards? I am just a bit scared of using check-in luggage after hearing horror stories about computers being stolen or broken by the airlines. I will only be in Korea for a year so shipping it both ways will add up.

I would really like to take my computer as I use it for music production (my main focus) and my laptop doesn't really cut it. I also want to be able to play starcraft II (hehe) while I am in the starcraft capital of the world.

Any help or suggestions you guys have would be most appreciated. I am just not sure what to do.

So I am moving from the states to South Korea this fall and I am trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to take my oh so lovely hackintosh with me safely without breaking the bank.

Love Korea! I was there 2 years ago (wish I could speak korean..)

The cheapest rate I could find for shipping was through usps and was around $170 although I could probably take out the power supply in order to make it weigh less. Right now it weighs around 30 lbs.

Ew! I wouldn't pay that price..

I am considering taking it on the flight with me as a carry on. I built it in a micro atx case (NZXT Vulcan http://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Enthusiast-M-ATX-Handle-VULCAN/dp/B003IPOYGK) in order to help with portability and it fits with in the usual carry-on dimensions which specify that it must add up to a total of 45 inches (although I am worried about the TSA giving me trouble). Since it has a handle, I could just carry it by itself although it would be nice to have padding. I am looking for carry-on bags which might fit it (such as this http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Hovercraft-Connect/dp/B002XSVC2C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1277091267&sr=8-2 ) which I would rather use the money for rather than shipping costs as I can use the bag for traveling while I am in Korea.

Definitely do carry-on, it's a lot safer. You know that the Airport isn't responsible for lost goods once you leave the airport, right? Someone figured that out when their camera got stolen through airport shipping.

Any suggestions on what might be the best thing to put my money towards? I am just a bit scared of using check-in luggage after hearing horror stories about computers being stolen or broken by the airlines. I will only be in Korea for a year so shipping it both ways will add up.

Carry-on without a doubt. Check-in luggage will be tossed and flung all over the place.

I would really like to take my computer as I use it for music production (my main focus) and my laptop doesn't really cut it. I also want to be able to play starcraft II (hehe) while I am in the starcraft capital of the world.

Ah, who doesn't like a little game of starcraft every now and then? By the way, are you over 18? In Korea, Starcraft II is rated Adults Only to prevent internet addiction (I know that from doing a research paper over internet addiction ;) ).

Edit: according to a new update, Blizzard is currently appealing that rating (for obvious reasons):
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178949

Any help or suggestions you guys have would be most appreciated. I am just not sure what to do.

Well, now you know! :thumbup:

Thanks I will look into carry-on more. Anyone ever try to take a desktop onto a plane? I can imagine I might get some strange looks from security.

I' ve carried a couple of desktops from the US to Europe by plane. Some times in components, in which case I had the most expensive and small ones in the carry-on, some times full desktop towers that I just built and these were checked either in their own box or in the suitcase. The checked ones, both had their cpu come off and I had to reset it (make sure you check that before turning it on).

I would go with the carry-on approach. If you find you can't fit it or it's too heave etc. get rid of the power supply (not even sure of the power reqs. in S. Korea) and maybe throw out the case and take everything as components. If you're too worried, maybe throw the case and psu in the suitcase stuffed with underwear :lol: and take the components in your carry-on.

auntyjamima said:
Thanks I will look into carry-on more. Anyone ever try to take a desktop onto a plane? I can imagine I might get some strange looks from security.

Well of course if you just carry a desktop on board, you need to put it in your luggage! ;)

Security might get a bit suspicious when they see a big metal brick in your carry-on. But show them it's a computer and it should be fine.

wlp5 said:
I would go with the carry-on approach. If you find you can't fit it or it's too heave etc. get rid of the power supply (not even sure of the power reqs. in S. Korea) and maybe throw out the case and take everything as components. If you're too worried, maybe throw the case and psu in the suitcase stuffed with underwear :lol: and take the components in your carry-on.

Haha that's a different way to look at it, but it sounds ok. If you're going to follow this method though, aunty, please be careful with your motherboard! (safest would be to put it in the box you bought it in). They're very fragile.

I'd take off the HDDs, backup to a portable HDD, and throw them in my carry-on bag.
Then try to get on the plane with the desktop... If they don't allow you, you know that at least you have all your data & setup safe with you.

wlp5 said:

Thanks. That's reassuring. As far as the power reqs go, I figured I might need to buy a different cable for my power supply and adjust it's voltage somehow. I'm going to have to look into that more.

jimx86 said:
Security might get a bit suspicious when they see a big metal brick in your carry-on. But show them it's a computer and it should be fine.

Yes I plan to bring my power cable so I can plug it in if necessary.

Lnx2Mac said:
I'd take off the HDDs, backup to a portable HDD, and throw them in my carry-on bag.
Then try to get on the plane with the desktop... If they don't allow you, you know that at least you have all your data & setup safe with you.

That is a good call. I will definitely do that.

jimx86 said:
All this airport/computer safety talk reminds me of this:
http://www.cultofmac.com/welcome-to-isr ... book/23431

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a reimbursement if that ever happens, auntyjamima!

Haha I saw that. I'm just gonna buy a kevlar bag :D

So now that we go that figured out, may i ask - if it's not too personal - why you're going off to Korea, auntyjamima? Is it permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back