Contribute
Register

Take a dive into the ATI Radeon R9 270X (dual boot/black screen/ATYinjector)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Michael for your input on this tread. Do you have to use the sleep trick to get the secondary monitor working. One more thing it would be awesome if you could post a step by step guide on how you got you card working to help others who check this thread? I didn't use his other Kext because I was getting random freezes and my card not recognized at all.

I can't help much with dual monitors cause I only have one. But, it can work from HDMI, VGA or DVD-D.

How I got it working: (more like a how not to—I'll explain later)

1. 10.8.5 on an SSD, Bios set for PCI first.
  2. Removed geforce 650ti boost, replaced with Sapphire R9 270X VaporX (no easy task in my SG05 case)
  3. Booted to white screen with apple logo flickered once then wouldn't go away.
  4. Re-booted with typing GraphicsEnabler=yes in Chameleon, disabled IGX in bios, Got a boot0 error and giberish
  5. Moved active startup to EFI partition—following the instructions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-instal...partition.html. I had some problems with this I described in a post above.
  6. Rebooted to a full res screen but VERY slow. 270x card not recognized.
  7. Cussed like a sailor
  8. Removed the 270X and put in the 650ti boost.
  9. Installed 10.9.1 from a usb install disk made with MB 6.1—not a clean install but upgraded ML. I installed with the 650ti cause I couldn't get the IGX working. I discovered later it has to be set for 32MB in bios.
  10. Remade the EFI fix (highly recommend the EFI-Mounter.app after you've done this)
  11. Rebooted with 650ti card (GE=no at Chameleon). Worked great. I love Mavericks
  12. Reinstalled the 270X
  13. Worked great but seemed to under-perform. I found this thread and discovered my card was a bit slow.
  14. I generated three new kexts and a SMBios.plist from the installer here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294315-radeon-r9-270x-framebuffer-issue/. I did not check the ATY-injector.
  15. Dragged the SMBios.plist to the EFI partition.

Now I have a fast GPU but haven't yet tried dual monitors. I get 2460FPS from NovaBench, 1596 from Luxmark, and 40FPS average in Unique Heaven (1920x1080, high quality, normal teslation, no anti-alias)

I highly recommend doing a clean install or upgrade of Mavericks with Internal Graphics.
Perform the EFI boot instructions to the letter
install your R9 270X making sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes
back-up
You should be good.

If you need dual monitor support, Run the installer from the Insanelymac forum. Check off everything appropriate. This isn't going to work for everyone. The editing Vlada did to the ATY injector kext was specifically for his rig. But if you don't get what you want from it, Remove ATY-Injector.kext from S/L/E.

part of quote removed*** I didn't use his other Kext because I was getting random freezes and my card not recognized at all.

You may want to try again. I think he's upgraded the kexts recently. For example, when I use the injector kext you provided, I get a black screen. From his I do not. As far as I know, the only change you made was to display the card name with R9 270X in the sys description. I think he also added 6811102 to the kexts for 270 (no X) support.

Cheers to you Ricky! Your post helped me a lot.

You may want to try again. I think he's upgraded the kexts recently. For example, when I use the injector kext you provided, I get a black screen. From his I do not. As far as I know, the only change you made was to display the card name with R9 270X in the sys description. I think he also added 6811102 to the kexts for 270 (no X) support.

Cheers to you Ricky! Your post helped me a lot.

he did upgrade his kexts!!! I will try them and post my results. Thanks for you help Michael and contribution to this thread hopefully it can help more people if they post results or issues here. It's hard to find information on the 9 series cards.

Installed 10.9.2

Sapphire R9 270x VaporX unchanged in performance. The edited kexts I had were replaced so it says 7xxx in the sys profile instead of R9 270x. Performance unaffected.

Looks like they made no change in the AMD drivers. :(

Installed 10.9.2

Sapphire R9 270x VaporX unchanged in performance. The edited kexts I had were replaced so it says 7xxx in the sys profile instead of R9 270x. Performance unaffected.

Looks like they made no change in the AMD drivers. :(

Same here unhappy

Hello I have a weird problem :(

I have installed 10.9.2 with unibeast on my PC... I Installed it with Nvidia Geforce 7900GS, because couldn`t get the ASUS R9 270X to work..

Now I think everythings work for me besides one weird problem...

MOBO: ASUS Z77-A
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (1600MHZ)
CPU: Core i5 3570k
GPU: ASUS R9 270X

When I boot, I can see the Apple logo and rotating circle, but after a while the screen goes off (no signal).... But the computer already booted into system (I can hear sounds when I press something)... So I tried to UNplug and PLUG IN the DVI Connector (while the pc is ON).. And then suddenly the display works... Everything works, no mouse lag, anything else..

I`m using your kext, which you`ve uploaded (Thank you! :) )

So now I`m desperate.. I have an EXTRA Folder in EFI.... Maybe I did something wrong?

I don`T have EXTRA folder on Macintosh HD
I have to unplug and plug in again everytime the pc boots up... Sleep/Wake also work...

Please can you help me? :(

EDIT: Using GraphicsEnabler=NO or YES in EFI org.chameleon.boot.plist doesn`t make any difference

EDIT 2: Oh my god.. Probably weirdest thing happened to me, but... I downloaded and installed Chameleon theme in chameleon wizard and set it to 1920x1080 and now the monitor doesn`t turn off after starting computer.. Hopefully it stays working

EDIT: So graphics works well, but I just have one problem.. Sometimes I notice some random blinks (in safari for instance) etc... Do you guys have this problem too? I guess it`s because 270x isn`t supported OOB in OS X or is it? When I minimalize a movie in VLC the window jumps a little bit.. Not anything serious but when something (even a detail) isn`t working properly, I just start to notice it more and more :D Anyone? :(

I have noticed some flickering on the screen certain times. It is really random and I don't mind much. I don't get any flickering during games or full screen apps I am using only on the desktop and using chrome.

I have noticed some flickering on the screen certain times. It is really random and I don't mind much. I don't get any flickering during games or full screen apps I am using only on the desktop and using chrome.

Hi ricky! Is there any progress in your 270x setup in combination with dual monitors? If so, what brand 270x are you using and do you know if the Sapphire 270x Toxic is any good?
If your 270x setup behaves still the same, would you rather recommend a 280x? Or is its dual monitor support the same?

My 270X works and runs silent, but it is slow. It is a bit faster than Intel HD 4000.
When installing that kexts, the monitor switches off, when the login-screen should appear.
Perhaps OS X 10.10 will help to get the full speed.

hey this kext for my r9270 x no good on10.9.3 be for updateing to this version it ran flawless ly now if i install this with the edited kexts it freezes at boot i tryed just with 4000 n 7000 n it worked but was horid in resuloution is there a way to fix that issue evry time i get audio asertion after installin g this n missing aty . bin image leme know if theres a way to fix that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back