1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried to follow the instructions to install Mavericks with Clover as the bootloader. The install didn't finish - I left it running for several hours - but when I booted from the USB install drive, it worked.

I installed Clover on the install SSD, edited config.plist as best I could, and tried to boot. The Clover GUI would only go to 1280x1024 (when I booted from the USB install drive, it would do the full 1920x1200). (Strangely enough, exiting Clover would result in the resolution changing to 1920x1200; as second attempt to exit would finally work.) As the OS is loading, my second monitor would display some weird blocks of color, for lack of a better descriptor, along the bottom, and be black above that. Sound would not work. And the computer would spontaneously restart after 20 or 30 seconds. Booting from the USB drive works fine.

I tried duplicating the config.plist from the USB drive, but the only thing that accomplished was getting the second monitor to work at the expense of the primary monitor going to standby. The Clover GUI still displays in the wrong resolution, and the computer still reboots after a short time. I tried editing config.plist several times, and nothing is working (although I got Mavericks to recognize my graphics card).

Any ideas? Should I reformat the SSD and try installing Mavericks again, even though it works fine with the USB install drive?

Hardware is all the old stuff that's in my profile - Core i5-2500K, Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3, Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X.

Try replacing the config.plist installed by the Clover installer with the config.plist on the Unibeast USB and see if that improves matters any.

Try replacing the config.plist installed by the Clover installer with the config.plist on the Unibeast USB and see if that improves matters any.

I tried duplicating the config.plist from the USB drive, but the only thing that accomplished was getting the second monitor to work at the expense of the primary monitor going to standby.

I somehow forgot to make sure the name of my DSDT.aml file in Clover Configurator was the same as the actual file. I also added NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, and now my build won't restart after 20 seconds. Also, System Information shows my RAM is running at 1600 MHz, not 1333 MHz like it was (and still does if I boot with the USB install drive). So that's all good.

Intel HD Audio now shows up under System Information (used to be blank), but I don't actually have sound (I believe it should say Realtek 889 or whatever anyway). I tried patching with MultiBeast, but it didn't do any good. Neither did setting the Audio/Inject string either to 1, or to the hexadecimal equivalent of 889.

Issues with the primary monitor going into standby mode, and Clover GUI not using the correct resolution persist. Setting DualLink to 0 did nothing. Changing the framebuffer from Vervet (or Hoolock) to Baboon (both of which seem to work fine with my old Lion install, despite Baboon not being correct for my card) caused both monitors to go to standby. Completely erasing the framebuffer entry in config.plist did nothing. Setting the number of ports to 4 did nothing. Usually, when the monitor changes resolution during the startup process (such as going from BIOS to Clover when I boot with USB), the lights on my keyboard will blink a few times, then shut off (the light for the Clear key turns on at the beginning of the startup sequence). When I boot the install, this does not happen until after I select my boot drive in Clover, the lights blink but do not shut off, and then the main monitor goes to standby.

(I don't know if it matters, but monitor 1 is plugged into DisplayPort; monitor 2 is plugged into DVI.)

Somewhere along the way, my system now identifies my graphics card correctly, instead of giving the generic 5000 series designation.

Clover also won't use the correct theme (EDIT: newyear theme was overriding everything else for some reason, trashing it fixed that problem), and despite the -v flag, does not boot in Verbose mode (the USB installer drive does), or at least nothing appears onscreen aside from an underscore cursor in the upper left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back