Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Several months ago, I built a Hackintosh system based on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5 (UEFI/BIOS rev F8), i7-3770, 16 GB RAM, SSD for the OS, and onboard video. I installed Mountain Lion using the then-current UniBeast and MultiBeast packages. Everything worked perfectly. About two months ago, I went on a temporary assignment, returning a little over a week ago. On taking the machine out of storage, it now won't boot completely.

When I say "it won't boot completely", I mean that it remains stuck at the gray screen with the Apple logo and spinning progress indicator. It will stay there for at least several hours. However, at least some network services are running. My laptop does its Time Machine backup to the Hack, and that runs just fine. I also have another web-based app running on (i.e., served on) the Hack, and it's up and running as well--I can access it from other machines.

I tried booting in safe mode without effect. I tried updating the UEFI to F14, which resulted in my losing the Chimera screen (and reverting to F8 has not corrected this), but otherwise had no effect. I tried booting from the UniBeast USB flash drive, and having that boot the main system drive, with no effect.

I'm a little lost at this point--what should I try next?

Several months ago, I built a Hackintosh system based on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5 (UEFI/BIOS rev F8), i7-3770, 16 GB RAM, SSD for the OS, and onboard video. I installed Mountain Lion using the then-current UniBeast and MultiBeast packages. Everything worked perfectly. About two months ago, I went on a temporary assignment, returning a little over a week ago. On taking the machine out of storage, it now won't boot completely.

When I say "it won't boot completely", I mean that it remains stuck at the gray screen with the Apple logo and spinning progress indicator. It will stay there for at least several hours. However, at least some network services are running. My laptop does its Time Machine backup to the Hack, and that runs just fine. I also have another web-based app running on (i.e., served on) the Hack, and it's up and running as well--I can access it from other machines.

I tried booting in safe mode without effect. I tried updating the UEFI to F14, which resulted in my losing the Chimera screen (and reverting to F8 has not corrected this), but otherwise had no effect. I tried booting from the UniBeast USB flash drive, and having that boot the main system drive, with no effect.

I'm a little lost at this point--what should I try next?

Boot with -v to see at exactly which point it stucks.

OK, I booted using the UniBeast USB drive (I can't get to the boot menu any more from the hard drive). Using -v -x as the boot options, the last thing that comes up on the console is this, repeated four times:
Code:
HDAEnabler: Copyright (c) 2008 by Kabyl
HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SP-Audio support by Taruga
HDAEnabler: 03/07/2009 Compiled for 32/64-bit by Taruga
Following that, no activity for at least a few hours.

Not seeing any other suggestions, in this thread or elsewhere, I decided to try reinstalling. I downloaded UniBeast 1.7.0 from here, and used a fresh download of Mountain Lion (presumably 10.8.3) to create a bootable USB flash drive, and was able to install it on the machine's SSD without difficulty. On attempted reboot, however, the same problem persists.

First, if I attempt to boot with the monitor connected to the DVI port on the motherboard, it will go to sleep during the boot process, and indicate "no signal" when I power it back on. If I connect the same monitor to the VGA port instead, I don't have this problem.

If I connect the monitor to the VGA port, boot the USB drive, and use that to try to boot from the SSD, I get similar (or comparable) results to previously--whether I use the -x flag or not, it doesn't bring up the desktop.
Here's a photo of where it stops when I boot with the -v flag:
2013-05-14 16.54.39.jpg

...and here's what happens when I boot with -v -x:
2013-05-14 16.35.54.jpg

Any suggestions on this? It's a bit annoying, as it had worked fine for several months. Certainly seems that something has changed, but I can't think what it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back