Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H rev1.1
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Been noticing that when I turn my system on cold start, about 7 times out of 10 the computer just turns on to a blank screen (monitor on, not in power save mode and not BIOS splash screen). When I hit the reset button the computer starts up fine and BIOS splash screen shows and everything is good. I don't have the PC-speaker hooked up so I can't hear any post code beeps if there are any.
Using a:
  • GA-Z97X-UD3H rev 1.0
  • Corsair AX650 power supply
  • EVGA GTX 750 1GB (Intel graphics disabled in BIOS with PCI-x16 slot set as first init device, monitor hooked up through DisplayPort)
  • 16GB g.skill Ripjaws X series F3-1600C9D-16GXM (Profile 1 enabled)
  • i7 4790k, stock speed.
  • BCM94360CD WiFi/Bluetooth combo PCI-X card w/ Apple bluetooth keyboard as startup device (works fine with BIOS)
Curious if anyone has experienced this and if theres a go-to trouble shooting step I should do first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ruled out the EVGA GTX 750 graphics card. Took that out and changed back over to onboard motherboard graphics with HDMI output. Turns on to blank screen, pressing the restart button fixes it like always- computer posts and goes on to Clover UEFI boot, etc.
Going to try removing the BCM94360CD Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, was the second to last add-on in this build.

Just ruled out the EVGA GTX 750 graphics card. Took that out and changed back over to onboard motherboard graphics with HDMI output. Turns on to blank screen, pressing the restart button fixes it like always- computer posts and goes on to Clover UEFI boot, etc.
Going to try removing the BCM94360CD Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, was the second to last add-on in this build.
Did you find the problem? I have the same equipment and same problem.

I sent out my 4790k CPU to Intel for replacement, now I'm having issues with their incredibly slow RMA process. The CPU has been delivered for over a week and they haven't marked it as "received" yet.
It has to be a faulty CPU.
So far I've had the original Corsair refurb AX650 replaced twice, they upgraded me to a refurb AX750i and then finally to an AX860i (Corsair support is super awesome). I replaced and bought a new broadcom Wi/fi bluetooth PCI-E card. RMA'ed my Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H board and they replaced that and said my old board tested fine.
When I got the replacement GA-Z97X-UD3H, MacOS stopped booting up because my GTX 750 died, replaced it with GTX 680 and all was good in terms of that.
I have also built the system out the the case on cardboard and the system will still power off randomly and or sometimes boot up to a black screen with no POST or beep warning.
Fingers crossed that it just needs a new CPU, I've put way too much time and money into this system.

CPU was shipped out today by Intel, it appears to be new CPU with different FPO/Serial numbers. I assume they test the processors sent in, otherwise I'd get the old one back. Should get it in few days and will find out if this is the solution.

Got brand new replacement CPU this morning, computer still shutting off randomly and also turning on to black screen with blinking cursor often.
Anyone know what else to do? Already replaced motherboard.

First thing to do is to remove all the cables on the mobo, but not the CPU 8 pin EPS cable, the 24 pin ATX cable, the CPU fan cable.

Remove all the SATA cables and any USB cables. Disconnect any cable that goes to the front panel but not the wiring hardness that connects to the power on button. Disconnect any fans, but not the CPU fan. Disconnect the keyboard and the mouse. Connect the AC cord. Push the power on button. Does it still randomly shuts down? If so, replace the PSU because you have already replaced the mobo and the CPU.

Good call, I will have to try that, thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's the Corsair AX PSU non-sense, I read a lot that the AX series are finicky and don't play nice with some motherboards because of the the DSP circuitry trickery they have.

Yeah, I've about replaced everything back in 2015/2016 to no avail. I still use this hackintosh as a work computer for Adobe lightroom and photoshop work and it still works perfectly in 2020. When I power up the computer and it just goes to black screen I just hit the reset button and it boots up fine every time, I've just learned to live with that. I think it's the combination of the i7 4790k and the GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard that causes that black screen start up issue?? It really drove me crazy when I first built this hackintosh. I am just greatful I was able to build an Intel i7 4790k system for a fraction of the price of what a comparable Apple product would of cost back in the pre-corona days of 2015 lol.

I got exactly same problem. Going to part out my Hackin and think about the quit since the future of this path is foggy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back