Motherboard
Sabertooth Z87
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is a strange new problem, with a probably simple solution, but I'm stumped at this point...

Basically, up until now, I have kept the best practices of keeping two ssd's and cloning my OSX drive right before any updates, just incase things go funky. I've had no issues with this until now. Last night I cloned my OSX onto the other ssd using Carbon Copy Cloner, then (best practices!) swapped the drives to ensure a successful clone, and to my surprise, no boot. I tried the process again... No boot. out of curiosity, I tried another spare ssd... No boot. Then I decided to try booting from a unibeast USB... NO BOOT!!! I tried my trusty old Windows drive...NO boot!!! NOTHING will boot except for my current OSX drive!
Here's what happens: every other drive simply gives a blinking cursor in the top left, then after about 10 seconds goes into the BIOS.
I've tried the CMS and UEFI key management clearing, setting to Other OS, unplugged every single other device, Performed a full BIOS restore to defaults... Nothing! I understand that this is absolutely down to the bios, but am scratching my head as to what on earth is going on. It's like my current ssd has become the only drive that the bios will consider booting,

ANY ideas are appreciated

Asus Sabertooth Z87
NVidia GTX 960
i7 4770

system will not boot from cloned drives

This is a strange new problem, with a probably simple solution, but I'm stumped at this point...

Basically, up until now, I have kept the best practices of keeping two ssd's and cloning my OSX drive right before any updates, just incase things go funky. I've had no issues with this until now. Last night I cloned my OSX onto the other ssd using Carbon Copy Cloner, then (best practices!) swapped the drives to ensure a successful clone, and to my surprise, no boot. I tried the process again... No boot. out of curiosity, I tried another spare ssd... No boot. Then I decided to try booting from a unibeast USB... NO BOOT!!! I tried my trusty old Windows drive...NO boot!!! NOTHING will boot except for my current OSX drive!
Here's what happens: every other drive simply gives a blinking cursor in the top left, then after about 10 seconds goes into the BIOS.
I've tried the CMS and UEFI key management clearing, setting to Other OS, unplugged every single other device, Performed a full BIOS restore to defaults... Nothing! I understand that this is absolutely down to the bios, but am scratching my head as to what on earth is going on. It's like my current ssd has become the only drive that the bios will consider booting,

ANY ideas are appreciated

Asus Sabertooth Z87
NVidia GTX 960
i7 4770

When you clone with Carbon Copy Cloner it does not copy the boot loader (unless you have the paid version).

So, after a successful clone install the boot loader to the backup drive manually.
i.e. Run the chimera standalone app with the backup drive as the target or install from Multibeast with just the boot loader selected and the backup as the target.
For Clover, install with the backup drive as target.

system will not boot from cloned drives

Check BIOS is set to boot UEFI and Legacy ?

It is. No go though...
This is crazy... It has to be a simple setting somewhere in the bios, but man, I've gone over and over it, and I'm getting nowhere... I just cant understand why the current OSX ssd has no problems, but no other drive will get anywhere close to booting... not even a USB with no other drives even touching my system!:banghead:

Omg...

I got it... I have no clue why this worked, but it did: I tried pulling the actual power from the power supply instead of just shutting the PC off. Boom. Boots from the cloned drive.

Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest difference.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back