Contribute
Register

System started crashing - log files or tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD5 Rev. 2.
CPU
i7-930
Graphics
EVGA 470 GTX 1280 mb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hey guys,

my rig has been running solid yet it's started to crash randomly. It simply just freezes.
Especially when playing Diablo 3.

It rarely crashes while on desktop.

Are there any tools I can use to monitor or will the reason be in a log file anywhere so I can find out what may be the cause?

Thanks!

Edit: I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 - Recently tried installing CUDA drivers to see if it would change anything. Actually made it worse so removed (I believe) it again.
Could it simply be that I should try doing a post install with the latest MultiBeast?

Last edited:
It rarely crashes while on desktop.

Boot without caches and check whether the freeze happening or not. Also run memory tests.

Are there any tools I can use to monitor or will the reason be in a log file anywhere so I can find out what may be the cause?

Reason for freeze may be you can find from system.log, you can monitor/view the log through Applications > Utilities > Console.app

Edit: I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 - Recently tried installing CUDA drivers to see if it would change anything. Actually made it worse so removed (I believe) it again.
Could it simply be that I should try doing a post install with the latest MultiBeast?

I think trying latest MB may not change this situation, better create a test clover usb then boot from it and check whether the freeze happening or not.

GUIDE : http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html

Tried the latest MB last night about an hour after my post and it ran for the rest of the night flawlessly.
Hopefully it did the tricks.
Thanks.

And then today it crashed after 30 min :/

I have two x58 systems in my home office/lab and they are usually powered down waiting for the next software test cycle.

Anyway these system are about 5 years old and run strong but are showing their age… I do have them apart every year or so to clean the dust out and reseat the memory and as many connectors as is reasonable to reach.

IMO systems need some regular maintenance to keep them going. This includes removing dust. I use compressed air.

Just a thought.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back