i7-4790K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since the last couple of macOS Sonoma update, I have noticed that when I restart the computer, the system gets stuck at the motherboard's logo screen. But after when I manually restart with the reset button, the system boots up just fine. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Boot in verbose mode for clues.

But if it hangs before the OpenCore boot screen, would verbose mode show anything? Usually when I restart, it first shows the motherboard logo and then it goes to OpenCore boot picker.

But if it hangs before the OpenCore boot screen, would verbose mode show anything?
Possibly.

Clear NVRAM.

zip and attach your /EFI.

Could be a potential drive problem taking time to be 'recognised'.
Are you using spinning disks?

You might want to see if changing the SecureBootModel Entry in your config.plist from 'Default' to 'Disabled' fixes this issue.

I have tried clearing NVRAM. SecureBootModel is already set to Disabled. I am using OCLP to enable Broadcom Wi-Fi. I do have couple of traditional drives and they are functioning well. I have not made any changes to the system in a long time and as I mentioned this only started occurring after I believe 14.4 update.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 6
Assumption: Your system worked OK in Sonoma 14.3.1.

From what I've read about Sonoma 14.4 the Broadcom WIFI patches stopped working, specifically there were issues with the IOSkywalkFamily.kext and IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext in the latest Sonoma release.

Have you checked to see if OCLP have released an updated patch for this issue?
Does the very recent Sonoma 14.4.1 release have the same issue?

Is VoltageShift.kext supported in the latest Sonoma?

Not sure why you are using CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext with the Haswell i7-4790K. But I suppose as it lost native support and it might need a helper kext to get the cores/threads running at the correct speeds.

Does this custom CPU config work well with the CPU under volt applied via VoltageShift?

I am definitely not sure about the contents of your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.
I never needed an SSDT for any of the NVME drives I used in my Haswell systems. Is this just a cosmetic fix for the System Information > NVMExpress report displaying Generic SSD Controller?

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml only contains the USB power settings so should be named SSDT-USBX.aml

I never needed SSDT-GPRW.aml in any of my multiple (Gigabyte, Asus and MSI) Haswell Hacks. Are you sure you need this Power option in your system?

VoltageShift.kext is not enabled in config file. So I just disabled CPUFriend and the data kext. I also renamed the SSDT as per your suggestion. I also disabled the GPRW SSDT.

I restarted the system and reset NVRAM. Issue still persists.

I have updated IOSkywalk and IO80211 kexts to the latest versions. Wi-Fi is working.

So good and bad!

Which other devices/components do you have connected to your Asus Z87 board, i.e. USB Hub, USB card reader, DVD/CD Writer, HDD/SSD/NVMe drives, pen tablet, Audio device (internal or external) etc?
  1. I would recommend you disconnect every device, except the macOS drive, AMD GPU, keyboard and mouse.
  2. Then boot the system. See what happens.
  3. If it boots OK, then shutdown and add a single device/component to the system, rebooting and testing with the new component.
  4. If an added component causes the issue to reoccur, shutdown and disconnect the component, setting it aside for further testing.
  5. Continue to test the other components/devices separately/individually, until each has been tested and the system boots without the issue occurring while they are individually connected.
  6. Hopefully this will help you discover if one or more of the components/devices connected to your system are causing the issue.
  7. You can then try booting the system with all the devices that passed the test to see if having multiple devices connected causes the issue to occur.
  8. You may need to check the power and data cables used to connect a device/component aren't defective, i.e. cable crimped, bent or damaged in some way.
  9. You may have to erase a drive and reinstall your DATA or OS, to see if this fixes the issue.
    1. Backup any data before undertaking this step.
  10. You may have to replace a component/device/cable/drive if the issue can't be fixed with the erase and reinstallation option, or just reinstating the device correctly.
This will be slow, laborious and time consuming. I wouldn't recommend missing out a step, i.e. adding two devices/components to the system at the same time. As all that is likely to do is mess with your findings.

@Edhawk, so after checking all the devices connected, I thought the issue was with the SATA drivers but after having them all unplugged, issue was still present. It turns out it was the DisplayPort to HDIMI adapter that was the problem. I tried two different adapters and they both had same issue. Very strange that both stopped working. I mean they work but I have to unplug and re-plug again to get the display to show up.

Back